• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Wanted Piece for Sale Acquired
1 1

8 posts in this topic

As a comic book collector, i focused on Marvel’s first ten appearances in their own series of their first 10 characters, so that’s FF 1-10, TTA 27, 35- 43, Hulk 1-6 and TTA 61-63, AF 15 and ASM 1-9, JIM 83-92, TOS 39-48, ST 110, 111, 114-121, AV 1-10, XM 1-10, and DD 1-10

As an art collector I’ve always wanted a page or pages from any of these books. I was lucky (I now know how lucky!) to get a Kitby Page from the Avengers 6 many years ago, but since then everything has become harder to find or too expensive.

I got this earlier this year from TTA 62. It comes with a caveat, as it’s not technically the 9th appearance of the hulk, it’s from the Giant Man story, but it is from my top 10 top 10, it’s by comics legend Carl Burgos, it features Hank Pym (my second favorite comics character), and there is even a blurb about the Hulk in the very last text box, so I’ll take it!

(and I’m always on the lookout for anything else, so if you know of something for 3k or less let me know!)

E1607A94-7954-4860-B8E1-D0E3CB5CD7E7.jpeg

On 12/20/2018 at 6:55 PM, Mephisto said:

This weekend I was finally able to acquire my most wanted piece that was actually for sale. I wouldn’t quite call it my grail, hence the title of the thread  but it’s definitely up there

I had wanted this piece for two years but it was a little out of my price range. The stars aligned recently and I was finally able to pick up this massive painting by Greg Hildebrandt.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1518002

My girlfriend and I got to spend 2 hours with Greg and his wife Jean. They were both wonderful. We were given a tour of their place and got to see many many paintings and other interesting pieces. I also got to hear stories from Greg about hanging out with Michael Jackson in the late 1980’s including a trip to Neverland...and yes Bubbles was there!

Great pick up...don't know if you know this but it was also used for other licensing purposes by Marvel. 

I was just at my LCS and spotted this

IMG_4742.thumb.JPG.e177f4dc848b99e989456ae63cdc7e60.JPGIMG_4743.thumb.JPG.1f9439ba2b56a24a0b92dbb5ee7fada5.JPG

Very very cool. It seems Marvel realizes how epic this piece is too. 

On 12/22/2018 at 6:44 PM, comix4fun said:

Great pick up...don't know if you know this but it was also used for other licensing purposes by Marvel. 

I was just at my LCS and spotted this

IMG_4742.thumb.JPG.e177f4dc848b99e989456ae63cdc7e60.JPGIMG_4743.thumb.JPG.1f9439ba2b56a24a0b92dbb5ee7fada5.JPG

Very very cool. It seems Marvel realizes how epic this piece is too. 

Thanks for the info Chris. Didn’t realize it was used elsewhere. I’m just glade the variant cover to the comic isn’t too limited so I could get a copy. I still don’t have a copy of the Brereton Captain America variant cover I have had the painting of due to it being so limited. All the copies I’ve seen have been three figures and not in great shape.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:55 PM, Mephisto said:

This weekend I was finally able to acquire my most wanted piece that was actually for sale. I wouldn’t quite call it my grail, hence the title of the thread  but it’s definitely up there

I had wanted this piece for two years but it was a little out of my price range. The stars aligned recently and I was finally able to pick up this massive painting by Greg Hildebrandt.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1518002

My girlfriend and I got to spend 2 hours with Greg and his wife Jean. They were both wonderful. We were given a tour of their place and got to see many many paintings and other interesting pieces. I also got to hear stories from Greg about hanging out with Michael Jackson in the late 1980’s including a trip to Neverland...and yes Bubbles was there!

Congrats!  The colors on that are just spectacular.  Wonderful piece!