• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney decision on Star Wars Franchise

56 posts in this topic

Click Bait. Let's do some actual journalistic editing!

Disney Resetting Star Wars (Misleading title - their not resetting anything.)

Following the poor performance and reception of Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Uh.. once again it's one of only 8 movies to ever break half a million domestically and it's the 11th highest grossing film in the world EVER. No matter how many times they say it performed poorly, they are wrong. And critics and fans loved it.)   as well as Han Solo (Yeah, it didn't do well. The most retro, classic styled film of the new movies didn't do well.), Disney has placed the movie franchise on hold (Uh no - IX is filming right now), and now it is said they are resetting Star Wars (online nerds are saying that - not Disney)and giving fans time to heal. (Yeah, like they care about your pain.)

The news comes as a result of it learned that Disney (Please learn sentence structure)has now canceled LEGO Star Wars Day (completely unconfirmed - based upon the rumor of one person online who has no verifiable proof), the popular annual event held during the Spring at LEGOLAND California.

The Star Wars fan site, Rebel Scum, offers that LucasFilm stated "2018 would be the last year they do" LEGO Star Wars Day. (LucasFilm has not, that I can find, made any such statement.)

In addition, the site reports "an unnamed source at Disney (Ha ha ha)has suggested that the motivation was to refocus expenditure and limit Star Wars exposure to reset the franchise and allow fans to heal." (Mmm hmmm)

The LEGO fan site, The Brick Fan, further offers that a reason Disney also canceled LEGO Star Wars Day is to shift focus to The LEGO Movie 2(Yeah sure - because Disney just doesn't have enough funds to do two movies at once. Duh.)

It's also said while there could be a chance for LEGO Star Wars Day to return at some point in the future, that in its current form, "it’s done for." (LucasFilm has not, that I can find, made any such statement.)

News of Disney canceling LEGO Star Wars Day and potentially resetting the franchise doesn't come as that much of a surprise, which is due to the huge failure of Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi(Uh.. once again it's one of only 8 movies to ever break half a million domestically and it's the 11th highest grossing film in the world EVER. No matter how many times they say it performed poorly, they are wrong. And critics and fans loved it.)

In the wake of The Last Jedi's failure, (You know) which subsequently saw the Han Solo movie as the worst performing Star Wars movie ever, Disney CEO Bob Iger said the Star Wars movies will be slowed down, (He said that, but not for the reasons you're implying.)and it is also known a new movie or franchise, thought to be from Rian Johnson, has been placed on the backburner or canceled(Uh no, he did NOT say that.)

While the films are on hold, (IX is currently filming) Disney is now focusing on the Star Wars TV shows for their upcoming Disney+ streaming app, which includes the Jon Favreau The Mandalorian series and a Rogue One prequel starring Diego Luna reprising the role of Andor. (Yes, it appears one thing Disney IS doing that coincides with their company plan is bringing franchises into house for their OWN distribution and presentation.)

Star Wars: Episode IX gets released in December 2019 (correct!), with no new films in active development.(incorrect! Let's look back at Bob Iger's quote from September:)

“I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn’t mean we’re not gonna make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [EpisodeIX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven’t been specific about. And we are just at the point where we’re gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.’s. But I think we’re gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing.

(In other words, a completely erroneous and misleading article on yet another click bait site.)

2 minutes ago, dhgladiator said:

What was the main point of contention?

Of not believing me? Some sort of BS that Iger is "taking blame" for Johnson's garbage and the turnout for Solo. Claims that just because "TLJ made a billion dollars" it was a "success".

Before TLJ, you could slap "Star Wars" on anything and people would be interested. The blow-back since Episode VIII shows that, that isn't the case anymore.

It led to me blocking the other user because they just kept making bogus claims and inserting conjecture. It was going nowhere. I prefer to have adult conversations and debates.

This is old news, but still worth discussing. Not sure if it merits a new topic, but doesn't bother me. As I've said dozens of times - hopefully JJ can bring hope back to Star Wars fandom.

I was born in 1976, so Star Wars has always been with me. In fact, I brought out my old Star Wars toys, like the Ewok village playset and the original Millennium Falcon for my 5 and 3 year old sons to play with. Apart from any "facts" or "alternative facts", I still read Star Wars related news, however, about 3 years ago I felt that there was an over saturation of Star Wars related merchandise/movies and it has really made me go back to the original story rather than keeping up with anything new. When I saw the above article, in the back of my head I could see that there might be some merit in it because of the aforementioned over saturation.

I really only like 3 Star Wars films, and a small piece of a 4th. A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and the end/ Vader scene of Rogue One.

The rest has been lousy in my opinion. Since Disney purchased the franchise I have not liked anything they have done with exception of the Vader scene in Rogue One.

People can paint the picture any way they want with 'alternative facts'. I just presented the REAL facts. No one could FACTUALLY (that means WITH specific facts - i.e. quotes from Disney personnel, real numbers, etc.) dispute any information I presented.

If someone believes 'only making a Billion dollars' at the box offices is a bad thing, what can you really say? There's only a certain amount of films that have achieved it in the history of movies (35 or so). Black Panther is considered one of the biggest movies of the year at $1.3 Billion, but they paint Last Jedi as a failure at $1.3 Billion?

What they're also forgetting to tell you is the endless amount of 'secret behind the scenes' information they spread that turned out to be completely false (Kathleen Kennedy fired, Joss brought in to save the day, Iger unhappy with the franchise, etc.). They continue to spread these lies and misinformation in an attempt to feel some sort of validity, I guess.

People can feel what they want about the movie - it's another goofy Star Wars film to me - but to make up stories about it and try and paint it as something it's not just because you're mad about the story not going how you want - what kind of millennial crybaby weirdness is that? 

All I can say is It lost the flame.

Carrie Fischer is gone - Princess Leia has been computer generated.  Mark Hamill may be not in any Star Wars anymore.  Han Solo was killed off.   Disney has absolutely no idea of how to handle Star Wars stuffs what LucasFilm company did in those movies in past.

It just fell off piece by piece. I missed old nostalgia and magic.

5 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Carrie Fischer is gone - Princess Leia has been computer generated.  Mark Hamill may be not in any Star Wars anymore.  Han Solo was killed off.   Disney has absolutely no idea of how to handle Star Wars stuffs what LucasFilm company did in those movies in past.

JJ, somehow, got him to sign-on with Episode 9.

I think that The Force Awakens was the perfect mix of nostalgia and new characters/content. I think that The Last Jedi completely disrespected the history of Star Wars. The purpose of this trilogy was to complete the Skywalker Saga. IMO, they started off on the right foot, but instead of continuing to wane on the old characters Rian Johnson flushed the toilet and filled it with diarrhea instead of clean water.

Edited by TwoPiece
"outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed"?

3 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

This is another aspect that I should have put in my earlier post, thanks for sharing. I guess it is nostalgia and over saturation as to why I seem to have lost touch with the whole franchise.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

JJ, somehow, got him to sign-on with Episode 9.

I think that The Force Awakens was the perfect mix of nostalgia and new characters/content. I think that The Last Jedi completely disrespected the history of Star Wars. The purpose of this trilogy was to complete the Skywalker Saga. IMO, they started off on the right foot, but instead of continuing to wane on the old characters Rian Johnson flushed the toilet and filled it with diarrhea instead of clean water.

THAT!  After that, my reaction was like....Wait a minute. You are kidding me?  What am I watching right now?  Hope?  I do believe in hope in many different ways but in that movie it seemed hopeless and lost.  I don't know how Disney can recover this Star War FRANCHISE. That is Disney's hope, not ours.

I used to LOVE watching Jaws - first few movies were good but after that.  It got lost. It lost me. It never recovered. That is my fear about Star Wars can be wandered off.

Thank god Chuck Gower injected some sanity here.

The article cited by the OP is unsubstantiated clickbait, nothing more.

Note the source is "CosmicBook.news" - not Variety, Deadline, the WSJ, or even Forbes.

Show me concrete evidence (or even circumstantial evidence from a legit source) that:

• Solo's failure was attributable to The Last Jedi's story (hint: it wasn't)
  • The Last Jedi was a financial failure (hint: it wasn't)
  • Kathleen Kennedy's been fired
  • Rian Johnson's forthcoming trilogy won't happen
  • The Game of Thrones showrunners' forthcoming trilogy won't happen

_All_ we know (for now) is:

• The Bobba Fett (and other "Star Wars Universe" films) are on hiatus
  • Episode IX is still coming out in a year, as planned
  • The Last Jedi was critically acclaimed, and remains the # 1 grossing movie of 2017 and # 8 on the all-time domestic gross chart

I’ll probably pass on Episode 9. Like I said, a combination of nostalgia for the original set of movies/characters and over saturation. If they ever get around to putting the Bobba Fett movie out, even though I like the character, at this point it’ll probably be another pass for me, at least at the Theatre. Hopefully it doesn’t happen but even all of the Marvel movies are getting to be a bit much for me, oversaturation again.