• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a pressing fix this crease?

15 posts in this topic

It’s basically the only flaw the book has. There is no cracking of the spine, or any real boxing on the corners. No stains but The pages would probably be off-white. Does anyone know if a pressing would fix that crease? If not would anyone give me a round about guess of what kind of grade I might expect assuming the only flaws were the one cover crease and off white pages (there are no visible finger prints but I haven’t taken a black light to it, nor do I own one)

AC0C24D4-0F59-4F08-BC30-CC544A2B10B9.jpeg

BE186445-C963-4441-9C03-9E970FCEBD13.jpeg

Pressing will flatten out the crease, but this particular one has a color break associated with it. The pressing will get the book to lay flat, but it does not help with any color loss. Book will still get dinged heavily for the color break. 

Pressing will flatten out the crease, but this particular one has a color break associated with it. The pressing will get the book to lay flat, but it does not help with any color loss. Book will still get dinged heavily for the color break. 

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Definately strange. Not sure if i'd go so far as weird.

For my serious part of the post. A press will never put back the color where it has been removed by whatever reason.

Sorry, I was referring to my double post, not your book. 

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

A press will never put back the color where it has been removed by whatever reason.

Just give it to one of those DIY Pressers. They don't give up. They will keep pressing it over and over again until the crease is welded back together.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Just give it to one of those DIY Pressers. They don't give up. They will keep pressing it over and over again until the crease is welded back together.

Ahhhh I see what you did there. Cross referencing a post I made in another thread. If thats how your time is best spent have at it. :grin:

The damage on this book looks a lot like a subscription crease (or perhaps someone folded it in half and put it in their back pocket). If the crease extends the full length of the cover and breaks color, the best grade you can hope for is likely somewhere in the Fine range.   :)