• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art We've Never Seen And Never Will

33 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, vodou said:

A lot of art has been lost to flood and fire, the worst of them like Beerbohm (I'm forgetting so many names, swiss-cheese memory) that EC collecting musician and Bill Pearon. And of course the massive loss to (again forgetting name) that CT publisher's stash of decades of art. Concentration/hoards = not good.

The EC collector was Don Lineberger (although much of his collection survived). And I think you mean Bill Pearson, the Wally Wood collector. His collection, otoh (sadly), was lost.

As for Beerbohm, my understanding is that quantity/quality of the art may have been overstated. Regardless, his business never recovered from the damage/loss to the warehouse. The Berkeley shop was legendary; those of us who shopped there during its heyday will never forget it.

12 minutes ago, Nexus said:

The EC collector was Don Lineberger (although much of his collection survived). And I think you mean Bill Pearson, the Wally Wood collector. His collection, otoh (sadly), was lost.

As for Beerbohm, my understanding is that quantity/quality of the art may have been overstated. Regardless, his business never recovered from the damage/loss to the warehouse. The Berkeley shop was legendary; those of us who shopped there during its heyday will never forget it.

Charlton was that CT publisher I was mentioning, thanks for the help with Lineberger and typo on Pearson.

23 minutes ago, Nexus said:

It wasn't his shop, it was his warehouse in Guerneville, CA; same disaster took out Eclipse Comics.

Was Eclipse holding original art? I've often wondered at the apparent lack of indie OA out there; or maybe it's just that it wasn't (and mostly still isn't) worth that much, not enough for it to upstream to HA.

10 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

all the art that was lost in the flooded basement of Robert Beerbohm's shop in the 80's : stack of art measured in feet- completely ruined and tossed away.

Lots of fiction house artwork lost and the pieces that survive were the ones traded before that incident.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:14 AM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

all the art that was lost in the flooded basement of Robert Beerbohm's shop in the 80's : stack of art measured in feet- completely ruined and tossed away.

Unsurprising that Beerbohm would have likely had some pretty good stuff in that stack. He was at the forefront of the market in those days.

20 hours ago, Collectr said:

Unsurprising that Beerbohm would have likely had some pretty good stuff in that stack. He was at the forefront of the market in those days.

I asked him about it a couple of years ago. He didn't mention Fiction House art... the only specific thing I recall him remembering was a stack of Perez Teen Titans pages.

On 12/26/2018 at 1:33 PM, Weird Paper said:

I asked him about it a couple of years ago. He didn't mention Fiction House art... the only specific thing I recall him remembering was a stack of Perez Teen Titans pages.

There was a FB post were he talks about what was lost. He mentions he bought....

“At the 1971 Seuling NYC July 4th show the Iger studios archives were sold off. Last day of that event the art remaining was dumped out at a few bucks per measured inch. I bought three feet.” 

5 minutes ago, kat123 said:

There was a FB post were he talks about what was lost. He mentions he bought....

“At the 1971 Seuling NYC July 4th show the Iger studios archives were sold off. Last day of that event the art remaining was dumped out at a few bucks per measured inch. I bought three feet.” 

Ah so he was only out a hundred bucks or so. Big deal.

17 minutes ago, vodou said:

Ah so he was only out a hundred bucks or so. Big deal.

“I had also traded Bob Burden (Flaming Carrot) for some Russ Manning Magnus Robot Fighter pages at $25 each in trade for some ultra cool Bringing Up Father SUnday 1930s with a huge bottom panel. Maybe 50 Mannings? About 20-25 of those destroyed as well.”

“There is a LOT of other stuff as the memory jogs me to relive the nightmare :) (Gotta laugh or one cries)”

On 12/21/2018 at 12:05 PM, pemart1966 said:

Fantastic Four # 1 and # 2 - covers and interiors...I could go on...and on...and on...

The origin story pages from FF1 exist.   They were revised with white out for FF annual 1 (ostensibly to make the heroes look more like how they did in mid 1963; but they ended up looking pretty horrible).  The pages were sold as if they were "just" FF1 annual pages.   I presume the white out could be removed...?

On 12/29/2018 at 2:41 PM, bluechip said:

The origin story pages from FF1 exist.   They were revised with white out for FF annual 1 (ostensibly to make the heroes look more like how they did in mid 1963; but they ended up looking pretty horrible).  The pages were sold as if they were "just" FF1 annual pages.   I presume the white out could be removed...?

That I've heard but I've never seen them.  What about the rest of the book?

I would think that the white out could be removed.