• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three years of purchases piled up
2 2

112 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Just a thrilling group of books, looks like you have a great Christmas. 

IdontseeanycapsthoughWHEREARETHECAPS??

15 hours ago, EBE said:

The Chinese flag with --script below it was used to assist Allied airmen who were shot down in China to get back to the Allied side of the lines. The AVG (Flying Tigers) used these, as did others.

From the net: "The old American Volunteer Group, better known as the “Flying Tigers”, was taken into US AAF service as the 14th Air Force in March 1943. Still calling themselves the “Flying Tigers”, they flew P-51 Mustang fighters and B-25 Mitchell bombers against the Japanese in the CBI. Many of those pilots wore US made “blood chits” on their flight jackets to aid in survival and rescue if their aircraft was forced down. One version featured the Nationalist Chinese flag and a message in Chinese, identifying the man as an American aviator, and encouraging locals to offer friendly assistance to the pilot."

Also look up "Blood Chit" on wikipedia for more info.

--ElJay

It's a very cool detail in that cover.a real labor of love.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, miraclemet said:

started with the envelopes...

first up a board purchases. Chicago copy as I remember from close to 3 years ago, and now these Fox romance covers seem to be heating up...20181220_224749.thumb.jpg.577af17b7d4afd63825812e63e0d580b.jpg

From the moment I saw the first book I knew I was going to love this topic! great looking book

On 12/22/2018 at 9:27 AM, miraclemet said:

flying home today. All 3 years of books staying close to me in carryon! (all the slabs and I bricked the raws into two bricks. nothing but comics in there....)20181222_100949.thumb.jpg.0b15acec510f9fcd6d70cd4bc0816baf.jpg

Are you doing it again for other three years of purchases?  Come back here and open all of them again?

On 12/21/2018 at 9:52 AM, miraclemet said:

from our Robotman, an early (maybe first?) appearance of Stan Lee in a comic

20181220_232144.thumb.jpg.9b8e3785bed0eb4ec2fcef2e817b0a7b.jpg20181220_232152.thumb.jpg.f6519058df21a06bfb30ea0ddedf6fec.jpg

Wow, that was a while ago! Real fun book and one of the best featuring Stan. I had him sign two copies on the splash pages of that story and didn't even get them CGC'd. Then again, it was before CGC anyway...:preach:

Really enjoyed this thread. Like a book you can't put down. You have good taste in books!

On 12/27/2018 at 9:20 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, that was a while ago! Real fun book and one of the best featuring Stan. I had him sign two copies on the splash pages of that story and didn't even get them CGC'd. Then again, it was before CGC anyway...:preach:

Really enjoyed this thread. Like a book you can't put down. You have good taste in books!

love that you also had a cutout of one of the Stan panels in the bag! Must have had a spare beater copy!