• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached Interior page grade
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Nowhere in the grading standards does it mention a single page being detached, all mention is to the centerfold, either being loose, detached at one staple or completely detached.

IMO that can be applied to a single page in a square bound book as well.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

Edited by marvelmaniac

I had a GA book with a detached page (A wartime Timely half wrap that had been cut too close and was missed by the staple), and a detached cf, that came back a 5.5 (with notations on the label). The book looked like it would have been at least a 6.5 had nothing been detached. 

I'd say a loose page in a square bound is similar to a detached centerfold, probably around a .5 deduction in the VG range. It should always be noted, as some collectors really don't like detached pages, even in lower grades. 

Silver Surfer square bound issues are notorious for this type of flaw. In my mind, a half a grade point drop would be sufficient. If it were certified, CGC would likely note it on the label as well. It certainly does affect the desirability among collectors. I hope this helps, and Happy New Year!