• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, rjpb said:

Won a couple smaller things after getting blown out consistently on most everything, but this was the big fish.

image.png.a11d32870449924a61566ccdeae95faa.png 

Beautiful copy, perfectly matching my 7.5, the only fungible assertion is which artist gets proper credit with for this classic cover.  Your National states Reed Crandall is credited with the cover, mine states Lou Fine illustrated the cover art.  Personally, the cover art has more characteristics in common with Lou Fine's style than Reed Crandall's...

8e963cb6-a0bf-46f2-a786-235ef5176e21_zps

Enjoy!

-Cat-Man America

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

He could just not go into this thread or the GA forum, or the Boards.

It’s quite easy to scroll by and not pay attention :)

Was that National 16 yours Gator?  I'm guessing yes.  Same "S" marking as the handful of Centaurs.  It's an amazing mystery.   Btw. I haven't done the math, but I'm a numbers guy, quick and dirty, you done well.  The auction has been a bullish success, and I mean on a relative basis to any measure, except maybe your own projections, which I don't know.  But I'm happy for you.  We all hunt if we're into gold.  And admire what you've done, as it was an ultimate challenge decades in the making.   In the end, this community is relatively small, and your toils dispersed throughout.  You're actually part of the legacy of Centaurs, and what they mean overall now, in a way you probably couldn't have been if you had never sold them.  Not perfect solace I'm sure, but onto the next.  You're appreciated.

...sidenote, new "from the collection of" labels" seem like they'll be ultra-rare going forward, as so many books are already slabbed now, i.e. if you handed these off to Metro raw, they'd have gotten slabbed with a from the collection of Gator notation.   Maybe you can get your own sticker? 

Edited by eschnit

6 minutes ago, eschnit said:

Was that National 16 yours Gator?  I'm guessing yes.  Same "S" marking as the handful of Centaurs.  It's an amazing mystery.   Btw. I haven't done the math, but I'm a numbers guy, quick and dirty, you done well.  The auction has been a bullish success, and I mean on a relative basis to any measure, except maybe your own projections, which I don't know.  But I'm happy for you.  We all hunt if we're into gold.  And admire what you've done, as it was an ultimate challenge decades in the making.   In the end, this community is relatively small, and your toils dispersed throughout.  You're actually part of the legacy of Centaurs, and what they mean overall now, in a way you probably couldn't have been if you had never sold them.  Not perfect solace I'm sure, but onto the next.  You're appreciated.

...sidenote, new "from the collection of" labels" seem like they'll be ultra-rare going forward, as so many books are already slabbed now, i.e. if you handed these off to Metro raw, they'd have gotten slabbed with a from the collection of Gator notation.   Maybe you can get your own sticker? 

Thanks.  I wasn’t interested in stickers. Heck, metro wanted to bill the collection as from me but I was resistant. We all have an ego in real life but I felt the centaurs stood on their own and that my association would have no bearing on results. I wanted focus purely on the books. And from what I’ve heard , it should be a success!

but I am VERY appreciative of this community and the support for the books that’s been shown 

20 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Every time I say that about any GA book I'm proven wrong. What GA books have ever really depreciated? Some (funny animal, western, for example) are out vogue for years, then they inevitably go up. GA books are of limited supply, and aren't getting any younger. They'll all inexorably go up in price/value.

Not sure if too many has actually depreciated in value, but like another member said here the other day, there are still quite a few GA titles or publishers that are a bit on the "cool" side.

Even if you look at today's auction, just take at look at the 2 relatively early Target super hero books.  With only a few hours left to go, the Rockford pedigree is still sitting there well below $100, while the non-pedigree copy can be had for less than $50. :whatthe: 

Althought it's always fun to talk about the 2nd or even 3rd tier GA record setters going for 5 figures, there are still others that have a problem even cracking 3 figures sometimes. hm (shrug)

33 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Thanks.  I wasn’t interested in stickers. Heck, metro wanted to bill the collection as from me but I was resistant. We all have an ego in real life but I felt the centaurs stood on their own and that my association would have no bearing on results. I wanted focus purely on the books. And from what I’ve heard , it should be a success!

but I am VERY appreciative of this community and the support for the books that’s been shown 

I agree with Metro on this, but everyone has to choose the strategy that they're most comfortable with.  If it were me, I'd probably want a separate catelog or section devoted entirely to the collection with biographical information on the owner.  That's just good marketing, IMO.  As I see it, it isn't arrogance or inflated ego to display pride in a tough collection one has labored long to put together.  

You're right though, as a highly desirable run of books, the Centaurs stand on their own and the books sell themselves.  It's just that the prestige of acquiring rare books that were part of Gator's well loved collection brings another added dimension to the run.

From a marketing standpoint, I think it's always better to put a face to an impressive collection simply because it brings another great story to the provenance which can boost bidder interest.  OTOH, promotion can go too far.  Photoshopping one's smiling torso to the hind quarters of a horse would've probably been a Centaur too far ...and one we couldn't unsee..., but like I said, whatever strategy works. :wink:

16 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I agree with Metro on this, but everyone has to choose the strategy that they're most comfortable with.  If it were me, I'd probably want a separate catelog or section devoted entirely to the collection with biographical information on the owner.  That's just good marketing, IMO.  As I see it, it isn't arrogance or inflated ego to display pride in a tough collection one has labored long to put together.  

You're right though, as a highly desirable run of books, the Centaurs stand on their own and the books sell themselves.  It's just that the prestige of acquiring rare books that were part of Gator's well loved collection brings another added dimension to the run.

From a marketing standpoint, I think it's always better to put a face to an impressive collection simply because it brings another great story to the provenance which can boost bidder interest.  OTOH, promotion can go too far.  Photoshopping one's smiling torso to the hind quarters of a horse would've probably been a Centaur too far ...and one we couldn't unsee..., but like I said, whatever strategy works. :wink:

I think you are overestimating that appeal. I could be wrong. I’m going to review results tonight. That will tell the tale. 

But I didn’t bid on berk books because they were berks. I was excited to see the books! That was my mentality. 

12 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I think you are overestimating that appeal. I could be wrong. I’m going to review results tonight. That will tell the tale. 

But I didn’t bid on berk books because they were berks. I was excited to see the books! That was my mentality. 

I think it all worked out just fine for you sir.  

one thing I noticed when I was going after the more fun 73 is that they extended the bidding another round when an underbid came in, I thought that was odd.  If the book is set to close and you are the high bidder, it seems strange to me that bidding is extended on a lower bid.  (shrug)

Worked out just right.  We recognize the lack of ego, respect for the books, and well-earned reputation you have.  Just a last thought on it, I think it might have been ideal to slip a cert in the back of the book with the CGC id on it that said "from the collection of".  I imagine that could be a thing, if not abused and overused, that CGC could do that wouldn't be a negative to anyone.   I know I have a cert on a Crippen book as an example.     

28 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

What if they included a photo of you as a sticker on each case, maybe wearing a speedo? hm

:jokealert:

...oh, and it's not because it's you, in case it seems silly.   It's more because you did something remarkable.  There's 4 census copies of this book and 29 of that one, whatever, and those numbers will increase marginally over time.  But you pulled off one of each and every, then sold them all together.  That they came from that collection is of some relevance.  And yes, plenty of people don't care if a book came from Jon Berk, Nic Cage, or whomever.  Or if it's a Larsen pedigree, Crippen, etc., but some do.  Certainly there's a premium on Mile Highs, though there's separate logical reasons for that.  Pedigrees are different than from the collection of as well, as there's a level of quality aspect.  I can't remember the book or two, but there were a couple of them that were Larsen pedigree, Berk collection, and I promise you that was of consequence to some, if not everyone.  To me, that's a cool thing.  Larsen to Berk to Gator, I got a book good enough for them, good enough for me.  Not me personally, but I think the idea make sense.  Alright, enough on that topic lol.  smh2c