• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,104 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, SuperBird said:

CC always runs them that long. 

The length has saved me a lot of money by helping me avoid impulse buys. I've lost count of how many times I decided to go all-in on a book in a CConnect auction, but then by the time the auction was ending my interest had waned, and I decided, "I can live without it."

On 5/2/2019 at 6:18 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It looks like the Okajima Human Torch 15 that sold on the boards a few months ago has been upgraded from 9.0. to 9.4.

Man I love this hobby! 

On 5/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, G.A.tor said:

I’ve had many okajimas benefit, grade wise, from pressing (one went from 7.5 to 9.4).  Nature of the business these days 

Man I really love this hobby! 

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

We all do. But comic grading and value manipulation (remember how great resto was 30 years ago, taking a comic an increasing its value ) has been part of the hobby for as long as most any of us can remember. Pressing /certifying is just latest value grab in a long line of value grab

17 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

We all do. But comic grading and value manipulation (remember how great resto was 30 years ago, taking a comic an increasing its value ) has been part of the hobby for as long as most any of us can remember. Pressing /certifying is just latest value grab in a long line of value grab

Maybe it was; I guess when I started collecting at age ten I was blissfully unaware of it. (It probably didn't have an impact on the low-dollar-value stuff that I was collecting back then.)

What really gets me is that pressed books often get grade bumps even when they look worse (which we've seen over and over and over again) with smooshed spines, shrunken covers, and extra stress lines around the staples. There has to be something seriously off kilter with CGC's grading formula for that trend to prevail for 10+ years.

I'm sure CPR has boosted CGC's earnings, so the current set up works for them, but I wish collectors wouldn't stand for it.

rantrant

Edited by jimbo_7071

58 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Maybe it was; I guess when I started collecting at age ten I was blissfully unaware of it. (It probably didn't have an impact on the low-dollar-value stuff that I was collecting back then.)

What really gets me is that pressed books often get grade bumps even when they look worse (which we've seen over and over and over again) with smooshed spines, shrunken covers, and extra stress lines around the staples. There has to be something seriously off kilter with CGC's grading formula for that trend to prevail for 10+ years.

I'm sure CPR has boosted CGC's earnings, so the current set up works for them, but I wish collectors wouldn't stand for it.

rantrant

+ 1

CPR jumped the shark when CGC itself began doing the pressing, cleaning, and subsequently grading their own work. Doubt it would have caught on if they decided they didn't do a good job. Nice gig if you can get it. 

18 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
18 hours ago, tth2 said:

Man I love self-serving rationalizations! 

7 hours ago, drbanner said:

CPR jumped the shark when CGC itself began doing the pressing, cleaning, and subsequently grading their own work. Doubt it would have caught on if they decided they didn't do a good job. Nice gig if you can get it. 

Cgc is "third party grading". So how can they grade their own work - and still be third party?

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

Man I love self-serving rationalizations! 

One need not rationalize reality. Or does one. Hm 

On 5/2/2019 at 5:54 PM, path4play said:

Might be worth advertising books as "not yet pressed" - otherwise, how will buyers know if all the pressing has already been pressed out?  Or is there a positive, cumulative effect?

Here is an idea we will probably see soon, instead of the bizarre and valueless (imo) Comic Verification Authority (CVA) - how about an "if pressed grade."?

Yeah, that's right.  I'm going to start a grading service that says what your book "will grade" if pressed - so you don't have to actually press but you know what it will be, if pressed.  The sticker will be the IPG (if pressed grade).  I'm thinking for already graded comics its a +/- sign, so say for example my Rodger Dodger CGC 6.0 has an IPG +2.0.

This is particularly useful for lower value books that don't warrant pressing fees, and those collectors legitimately concerned about the "press time loss factor" (PTLF).  An already pressed book gets an IPG of AP-1 aka "Already Pressed, Press Time Loss Factor = -1 yr. "  Benefits include warding off press and flippers to a potential re-press and providing a sense of security to those who want to fill that gap between full blown restoration and an unnatural intervention of a hot iron.

Looking for investors who what to get in on ground level of this exploding opportunity, please PM me.

10 minutes ago, path4play said:

Here is an idea we will probably see soon, instead of the bizarre and valueless (imo) Comic Verification Authority (CVA) - how about an "if pressed grade."?

Yeah, that's right.  I'm going to start a grading service that says what your book "will grade" if pressed - so you don't have to actually press but you know what it will be, if pressed.  The sticker will be the IPG (if pressed grade).  I'm thinking for already graded comics its a +/- sign, so say for example my Rodger Dodger CGC 6.0 has an IPG +2.0.

This is particularly useful for lower value books that don't warrant pressing fees, and those collectors legitimately concerned about the "press time loss factor" (PTLF).  An already pressed book gets an IPG of AP-1 aka "Already Pressed, Press Time Loss Factor = -1 yr. "  Benefits include warding off press and flippers to a potential re-press and providing a sense of security to those who want to fill that gap between full blown restoration and an unnatural intervention of a hot iron.

Looking for investors who what to get in on ground level of this exploding opportunity, please PM me.

Jon, between this post and your one stop women on wheels store you definitely are my favorite “poster of the week”! (thumbsu

On 5/5/2019 at 1:03 AM, Mr bla bla said:
On 5/4/2019 at 5:58 PM, drbanner said:

Cgc is "third party grading". So how can they grade their own work - and still be third party?

I assume you are just trying to be sarcastic with your enquiry here?  lol

After all, I believe everybody here knows that CCG owns CGC and was worried it would become a conflict of interest when they also took over CCS several years ago.  Not sure if the thread is still allowed to be here, but this conflict apparently became quite evident a few years ago when Matt first switched over from CCS to CGC.  hm

Apparently the thread went on to indicate pressing quality issues with the product coming out from the post-Nelson CCS and these were basically given a "free pass" by the graders, whereas the ones that were supposedly done by the competitors and did not exhibit the tell-tale pressing issues were not given the same benefit when it came to their grades.  Not sure how true this was since playing the CPR game is definitely not something that I partake in.  Of course, it could have always been just an coincidence, so who really knows.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

That book tingled everyone's senses

Even for a GA collector like me, it's hard not to be a fan of AF15. I have no idea how many raw copies are still out in the wild, though, so I don't know whether prices will stay where they are. Original owner GA collections are still turning up from time to time, so how many original owner SA collections have to still be out there?

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

There are a ton of SA DC runs in this auction.  I've put in 20X the number of tracking bids that I normally do.

It is pretty amazing to see so many older high grade Batman's in a single auction.