• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,123 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2019 at 8:38 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Brittle pages is why. Bat 1s with brittle pages have continued to get $40 - $50k PP, but I cannot believe that is sustainable. This may be the breaking point here on this book

You might be right, but in this market I wouldn’t bet on it. Personally bp are a deal breaker for me. 

On 5/20/2019 at 6:26 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Looking at the (rather poor) selection of early Detectives in the current CC auction, 35 2.0 seems to be doing ok while 31 1.5 is lagging. The fact that it had the resto removed and now looks fugly certainly has something to do with it.

Won't comment on the CBCS graded 36 and 38 :eyeroll:

Yep, fugly is a good word for the Detective 31. 

The description in the listing includes the ironic bit about how this "collectible copy... has withstood the passage of many decades." Just barely, after the whole-scale hack job in removing the color touch.

3 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Looking over the books on ComicConnect I see that there appears to be some interest for FLASH COMICS #86...

sure wish my copy was in better condition.

It is still a great book, MM.  Lots of folks would love to have any copy and yours being an OO book is awesome.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:26 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Looking at the (rather poor) selection of early Detectives in the current CC auction, 35 2.0 seems to be doing ok while 31 1.5 is lagging. The fact that it had the resto removed and now looks fugly certainly has something to do with it.

I strongly dislike the restoration removal when the color touch is scraped away leaving fugly. perfect description.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:26 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone else willing to comment on the backstory of these two specific examples?...Any information regarding their "grade" would be appreciated [before I place another less than informed bid...]

On 5/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, First Upgrade said:
On 5/20/2019 at 4:26 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone else willing to comment on the backstory of these two specific examples?...Any information regarding their "grade" would be appreciated [before I place another less than informed bid...]

Most likely graded by Steve and West, the original person that started up CGC along with its long time GA grader.  :gossip:

Decades of grading experience as opposed to the relative newbies at CGC in comparison, so you should be good to go with the grades.  hm  (thumbsu

That is, of course unless you think all of the slabbed books graded by CGC during the first 15 years or thereabouts of their existence are invalid and needs to all be regraded. hm  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 5/25/2019 at 2:00 AM, First Upgrade said:
On 5/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Most likely graded by Steve and West, the original person that started up CGC along with its long time GA grader.  :gossip:

Decades of grading experience as opposed to the relative newbies at CGC in comparison, so you should be good to go with the grades.  hm  (thumbsu

That is, of course unless you think all of the slabbed books graded by CGC during the first 15 years or thereabouts of their existence are invalid and needs to all be regraded. hm  :screwy:

The 36 used to be mine. I won it on Heritage 3 yrs ago. I sent it to CCS to be subsequently graded by CGC. Matt Nelson strongly suspected a married back cover so it never was.

CBCS had it as "Conserved", he didn't think so.

Needless to say got rid of the book. It has exchanged hands at least twice since then. Now it is back on the auction block.

If CGC would grade that Tec 38 a 3.0 I would be VERY disappointed.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
9 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Prepare to be disappointed.....

631927FE-B835-4E80-9698-B799809E5FDB.jpeg

:/

If it were me, I believe the 3.0 copy of 'Tec 38 might be nicer (from a front cover appearance) than the CGC 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 69 above.  :gossip:

Personally though, I strongly feel that those 2 copies are definitely not as nice as these 2 CGC 3.0 graded copies from a CC auction back in 2016:

det1.13876a.jpg

det1.13714a.jpg

I guess this is another example that grading is definitely more of a subjective opinion at one particular point in time, as opposed to an exact science over a period of time.  hm

From the record setting prices realized for these 3 books, it would appear that the bidders were astute enough to buy the book, as opposed to buying the label.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If it were me, I believe the 3.0 copy of 'Tec 38 might be nicer (from a front cover appearance) than the CGC 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 69 above.  :gossip:

Personally though, I strongly feel that those 2 copies are definitely not as nice as these 2 CGC 3.0 graded copies from a CC auction back in 2016:

det1.13876a.jpg

det1.13714a.jpg

I guess this is another example that grading is definitely more of a subjective opinion at one particular point in time, as opposed to an exact science over a period of time.  hm

From the record setting prices realized for these 3 books, it would appear that the bidders were astute enough to buy the book, as opposed to buying the label.  (thumbsu

A 3.0 grade should per cgc guidelines be specified as to how much paper loss is allowed at that tier. Obviously its blowin in the wind. Sad.

Is it just me or is everybody else also not receiving the ComicConnect auction links to all of their individual lots that they normally send out on a daily basis about 10 days before the close of their Event Auctions?  ???

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Is it just me or is everybody else also not receiving the ComicConnect auction links to all of their individual lots that they normally send out on a daily basis about 10 days before the close of their Event Auctions?  ???

I haven’t either nor have I received my catalogue yet :sumo:

Edited by Chicago Boy

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I haven’t either nor have I received my catalogue yet :sumo:

Well, I guess I am one better than you though since I received my copy of the catalogue last Monday on the 27th via FedEx.  :D

Methinks that somebody might be away on their summer holidays.  (shrug)

I think Gator should get on the horn and tell them to get their act together since he apparently has a bunch of books listed in this upcoming auction.  :blahblah:

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess I am one better than you though since I received my copy of the catalogue last Monday on the 27th via FedEx.  :D

FedEx? You are clearly in the inner circle. My catalog arrives by freight train.