• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,123 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I remember sifting through this run back at Geppi's in 1995 and pulling out the 4 and 7 to purchase.  The response from Geppi was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my collecting experience to that point.

I wonder where the 7 is now ? :angel:

29 minutes ago, TeddieMercede said:

I wonder where the 7 is now ? :angel:

Or the 4 :foryou:

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
15 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

When I hear stories like this, I am reminded that there are many Boardies here who operate on a level with which I am wholly unfamiliar.

I’m with ya. Quite humbling. And amazing. The superheroes of these boards.

+2

I know the exact feeling as it's really all relative in a sense.  (thumbsu

I remember when I first got into GA collecting and just wishing that I had started 10 years earlier like many of the people I was in contact with at the time.  It definitely would have been much better from a pure financial point of view, as opposed to collecting those now absolutely worthless B&W and early Valiant books along with those now almost worthless BA and CA books which you now see sitting unsold at every dealer's table marked up at ridiculous prices.  doh!

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

At the time, I only knew about the Allentown Mystery Men copies that were sold.

Yes, I clearly remember as Joe V. was the lucky dog who got the box with all of the early Fox Allentown Mystery Men and Wonderworld books.  :whee:

Luckily for some of us :cloud9:, Joe was gracious enough to share a few of the books as long as you were a small time collector, as opposed to a big time dealer like Fishler and the East Coast Gang of Three who were simply scarfing up all of the books and seemingly trying to build their piles right up to the ceiling at the time.  :(

Not sure who ended up with the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 7 as I believe that was not in the box and must have been pulled out ealier in some type of pre-arranged deal or enticement to attract more attendees during the big Super Bowl weekend.  The other book I clearly remember was the "Denver" copy of Mystery Men 1 since it was listed in the catalogue at the time.  I assume this copy might actually be from some other pedigree since another board member here states that he has the actual Denver copy direct from Payette.  Highly doubt there would be 2 Denver's for the MM 1, so I assume Overstreet's copy must have been from another pedigree collection or simply just a HG copy.  (shrug)

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure who ended up with the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 7

I know -- not me

as I believe that was not in the box and must have been pulled out ealier in some type of pre-arranged deal

It was

The other book I clearly remember was the "Denver" copy of Mystery Men 1 since it was listed in the catalogue at the time.

Could this have been the Allentown that got mis-labelled?

Edited by adamstrange

15 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure who ended up with the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 7

I know -- not me

Looking backwards now, whoever it was managed to get themself a real steal since it was not recognized as a classic cover at the time and hence, did not carry a premium relative to the other surrounding issues. 

Looks like it sold for $1,400 or what the rest of the Allentown Wonderworld #6 - #10 (no #8 in the bunch :frown:) had sold for at the time and even less than what WW 4 had sold for.  :takeit:

19 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The other book I clearly remember was the "Denver" copy of Mystery Men 1 since it was listed in the catalogue at the time.

Could this have been the Allentown that got mis-labelled?

That was also my assumption since the other books were also all Allentowen copies.  That assumption didn't hold true though since Heritage had the Allentown copy goes through their auction back in 2016 for close to $40K and the scan is clearly different from the copy pictured in the Diamond Gallery catalogue:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #1 Allentown Pedigree (Fox, 1939) CGC NM- 9.2Off-white to white pages....

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like it sold for $1,400

Quickly re-sold for more

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

rest of the Allentown Wonderworld #6 - #10 (no #8 in the bunch :frown:)

Overstreet had it but it was in a different box.  Discovered later by a deserving collector. :angel:

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Heritage had the Allentown copy goes through their auction back in 2016 for close to $40K and the scan is clearly different from the copy pictured in the Diamond Gallery catalogue:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Mystery Men Comics #1 Allentown Pedigree (Fox, 1939) CGC NM- 9.2Off-white to white pages....

Billy Parker (strawman) owns that book if I'm not mistaken.

...The Allentown Pedigree holds a very unique mystique and challenging aspect: Even if you split the Pedigree up to ensure only one specimen to a collector, only 135 people would have an example!!

They rarely surface on the market place, and iv'e always wondered, if there is a collector (similar to Church copy 'hoarders') or two out there holding on to a 'bulk' of examples locked tightly into their collections, then that would mean the potential copies that would come up for acquisition opportunity shrinks even more.....

13 minutes ago, sagii said:

...The Allentown Pedigree holds a very unique mystique and challenging aspect: Even if you split the Pedigree up to ensure only one specimen to a collector, only 135 people would have an example!!

They rarely surface on the market place, and iv'e always wondered, if there is a collector (similar to Church copy 'hoarders') or two out there holding on to a 'bulk' of examples locked tightly into their collections, then that would mean the potential copies that would come up for acquisition opportunity shrinks even more.....

I blame Bedrock for the lack of Allentown's available in the marketplace :sumo:

4 hours ago, adamstrange said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like it sold for $1,400

Quickly re-sold for more

Oh, so the Allentown Wonderworld 7 was went to a dealer or quasi-dealer, as opposed to a personal collector.

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

rest of the Allentown Wonderworld #6 - #10 (no #8 in the bunch :frown:)

Overstreet had it but it was in a different box.  Discovered later by a deserving collector. :angel:

Must have been discovered or paid for later since the Wonderworld 8 was not listed by Snyder in the pages of CBM #23.  (shrug)

Was it in one of the other boxes that came out that Saturday or was it in one of Martha's boxes that never made it out of Geppi's massive vault that day?  All I can say is that poor Martha should probably have been paying a lot more attention when she was helping Bob out with the publication of his price guide every year back in those days.  doh!

17 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hey, one of those used to be my copy before I decided to turf it out as a sample test of CGC's grading system when they first opened their doors almost 20 years ago.  Big big mistake as Allentown's simply don't come along too often!!!  :cry:

:idea:  Maybe if I agree to pay Richard some small token storage fee for holding it, he'll be willing to give the book back to me.  :wishluck:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh, so the Allentown Wonderworld 7 was went to a dealer or quasi-dealer, as opposed to a personal collector.

"deallector" is the term in vogue at the moment

43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Must have been discovered or paid for later since the Wonderworld 8 was not listed by Snyder in the pages of CBM #23.  (shrug)

It was not until weeks after the opening of the gallery.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:39 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Over 1600 books so far ... :juggle:

Well, looks like they are starting to get close to my forecast of 2,500 books as they are now at 2,470 and still counting.

I am wondering if there are a couple of long time collectors of HG books unloading at this point as there are quite a few runs in here from the entensive SA Batman run right through to the eormous 500+ X-Men Key Comics Collection run?  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like they are starting to get close to my forecast of 2,500 books as they are now at 2,470 and still counting.

I am wondering if there are a couple of long time collectors of HG books unloading at this point as there are quite a few runs in here from the entensive SA Batman run right through to the eormous 500+ X-Men Key Comics Collection run?  hm

Aren't there always HG X-Men and Batman comics in every auction?