• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,166 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, adamstrange said:
On 8/30/2019 at 1:22 PM, tth2 said:

The amount of hand wringing that goes on here about prices when bidding still has 11 days to go would be absurd if it weren't so irritating. 

We need to save our precious internet energy to debate which young up and coming tennis star will win the US Open.

Sad to say, but I don't think the much younger inexperienced Canadian teenage girl stands much of a chance against the much older and more experienced Serena.  hm

43 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is exciting and excruciating 

Yes, it's especially exciting :whee: if you are a consignor and the 3-minute bell keeps getting rung on your book, while it's especially excruiating   :censored:  if you are a bidder and the 3-minute bell keeps getting rung on the book that you want .   (:

Edited by lou_fine

55 minutes ago, BarristerBaker said:
57 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I believe you are right. People are waiting. Every now and then an outlier drops down a new bid, but I’m still sitting at a little over 50% value. This is exciting and excruciating 

Same here. Probably at 50%. Action has slowed significantly.

Based upon my own personal experience though, there is one very serious flaw with the strategy of waiting until the last minute to bid.  hm

Like me, how many times have you completely forgotten all about the end of the auction or all of a sudden been busy doing something else, that you never get around to being there when the auction actually ends.  :cry:

Of course, if I think I might be busy that day, I do go in there that morning and place a higher bid, but being the El Cheapo guy that I am, still nowhere close to where I would have been willing to go if I was actually there for the real end of the auction.  doh!

51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon my own personal experience though, there is one very serious flaw with the strategy of waiting until the last minute to bid.  hm

Like me, how many times have you completely forgotten all about the end of the auction or all of a sudden been busy doing something else, that you never get around to being there when the auction actually ends.  :cry:

Of course, if I think I might be busy that day, I do go in there that morning and place a higher bid, but being the El Cheapo guy that I am, still nowhere close to where I would have been willing to go if I was actually there for the real end of the auction.  doh!

Yes, I forget too. It’s gotta happen. So, yes, there’s that

On 8/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, tth2 said:

In all seriousness, there are plenty of things about the books in the auction to discuss.  But whether current bids are indicative of the final price (they aren't) isn't one of them, in my opinion.

Now, if a book's bids with 11 days to go have already blown past people's expectations of the final price, that's another matter.  But when does that ever happen?   

How very true, but what happens in terms of the opposite situation?  hm

Just took a look at some of the so-called "pedigree" books here with only a couple of days to go, and some of them are still at single digit percentage fractions to current condition guide valuations.  :whatthe:

Then again, I guess Rockford's and the like aren't really true pedigree quality books, unlike the newly minted Eldon and Harold Curtis pedigrees.  O.o   :devil:

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

How very true, but what happens in terms of the opposite situation?  hm

Just took a look at some of the so-called "pedigree" books here with only a couple of days to go, and some of them are still at single digit percentage fractions to current condition guide valuations.  :whatthe:

Then again, I guess Rockford's and the like aren't really true pedigree quality books, unlike the newly minted Eldon and Harold Curtis pedigrees.  O.o   :devil:

A lot of nice material has been offered up recently. You always have collectors exiting the hobby; lately it seems like there may be more GA collectors exiting than entering, which isn't too surprising.

Those of us who are under 50 really have to wonder whether our heirs will be able to find a market for our books x number of years from now. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Orrr... and just hear me out on this one...you could use my patented one step method, and put in your max bid a day or two before the auction ends, no matter which auction site you’re using.

I assure you, I have both won and lost auctions this way, but never once paid more than my maximum bid for anything.

49 minutes ago, szav said:

Orrr... and just hear me out on this one...you could use my patented one step method, and put in your max bid a day or two before the auction ends, no matter which auction site you’re using.

I assure you, I have both won and lost auctions this way, but never once paid more than my maximum bid for anything.

But where’s the fun in that?!? lol

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 8/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, adamstrange said:

We need to save our precious internet energy to debate which young up and coming tennis star will win the US Open.

Sad to say, but I don't think the much younger inexperienced Canadian teenage girl stands much of a chance against the much older and more experienced Serena.  hm

Well, surprise, surprise............it looks like I was dead wrong here.  :whatthe:  :facepalm:

Missed the whole match as I was out in the garden the whole afternoon, but based upon the scores, it looks like the Canadian teenager must have handily beat Serena.  :applause:

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess the fact that it is the sole one and only one copy sitting atop the CGC census and QES sticker whatever it is, shouldn't hurt its chances here.  

Has the Church copy been graded, and if so, what is the grade?

If it hasn't been, does anyone know what kind of grade it would get?  Otherwise, I would never pay up massively for this copy on the basis that it's the one and only 9.4. 

6 hours ago, szav said:

I assure you, I have both won and lost auctions this way, but never once paid more than my maximum bid for anything.

(thumbsu

3 hours ago, tth2 said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess the fact that it is the sole one and only one copy sitting atop the CGC census and QES sticker whatever it is, shouldn't hurt its chances here.  

Has the Church copy been graded, and if so, what is the grade?

If it hasn't been, does anyone know what kind of grade it would get?  Otherwise, I would never pay up massively for this copy on the basis that it's the one and only 9.4.

Since the entire Phantom Lady run was not included in Chuck's Mile High Catalogue, I would have to assume that the entire run must have been grabbed by Burrell as part of his payment to load Chuck the $2K that he needed to acquire the Church Collection.  If this is the case, it's probably locked up in somebody's private collection for the foreseeable future.  

Either that or it doesn't exist which I would find rather hard to believe, considering the Heritage archives indicates there is a Church copy of PL 16 which they auctioned off back in 2016.  hm

Well, looks like it's now only a matter of a few hours until we find out where the Top 3 books of this auction is going to finished up at.  :taptaptap:

Although I imagine the Church copy of Phantom Lady 17 is going to have a big say in that later on this week in her attempt to reclaim and snatch the bronze medal back away from AF 15.  :slapfight:  :bigsmile:

6 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The biggest highlights ( AC1 8.5(R) and Batman 1 8.0 ) of CC auction Sept 2019 ending tonight.

Yes indeed, as it looks like Bat 1 for the Gold and Action 1 for the Silver, with the Bronze most likely being held by Spidey until he hands it off to Phantom Lady on Thursday afternoon.  hm  lol

Way behind eating their dust and sweeping up the racetrack floor will be both the rare Italian and possibly even rarer Peruvian editions of Walking Dead #1, with both of them still sitting there at the astonomical price of $1 with no customer bids to their credit yet.  :facepalm:  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

The biggest highlights - AC1 8.5(R) and Batman 1 8.0 - of CC auction Sept 2019 ending tonight.

Bat 1 is sitting at $460k before the 3 minute panic buzzer has even sounded!

Guessing 550-600K

Edited by Gotham Kid