• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Any guesses as to where this graded copy of Black Cat Mystery with the all-time classic cover will be closing at:

bla4.466a.jpg

Especially since I was just in the PCH thread and noticed this raw Fair copy selling for the out of this world astronomical price of $3,250:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

C8B8D02B-FC45-4131-9DA4-E3D6B859215C.jpeg

I imagine both the CGC 5.5 graded copy along with the accompanying CGC 3.5 graded copy both still have a long ways to go since they are currently sitting at only $4,800 and $3,401 respectively if the price of the raw copy is a somewhat accurate refelection of the real market action for this classic cover book.  Well okay, maybe it's really the Frazetta interior art that's making this book pull in the big bucks here.  Or not.  :bigsmile:

Hmmm ... will the 5.5 go north of 7.5K?

22 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

With the kind of strong prices that we have seen on PCH books over the past few years, it would be more of a surprise to me if it DID NOT surpass the $7.5K price point.  (thumbsu

But as I posted in the PCH thread, I am starting to think that the $3,250 which the low grade raw copy of BCM 50 managed to get was probably more of an outlier as opposed to a reflection of the going rate for this book, even in this red hot PCH market.  Like I posted in the other thread, if low grade raw copies are going at this price point I would go for any of the other Black Cat Mystery books.

Too lazy to retype everything, so I will just copy and paste the following:

After some sobering second thoughts on this book here, my thinking is that the above raw Fair copy going for $3,350 must be an outlier to the norm in terms of the price point for the BCM 50.  hm

Especially considering that there are already 75 Universal graded copies in the population census, with virtually every single one of them at a higher condition level than this raw copy pictured up above.  If I was looking at paying this kind of money for a copy in this low grade raw condition, I would much rather shoot for ANY OF THE OTHER Black Cat Mystery books that are available in tonight's CC auction, such as these 2 here:

bla4.469a.jpg

bla4.463a.jpg

From a simple relative pricing  and census population point of view, especially considering their substantially higher grading condition levels, I would definitely consider either the Phantom Lady copy of BCM 41 or even the Harvey File Copy of BCM 46 to be a much better deal at their current price points of only a few hundred dollars a pop if they do somehow manage to stay down here.  :luhv:    :takeit:

53 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Well, surprise, surprise on the down side this time!!!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

That kind of fell short of the mark at only $6,812 and hardly any action at all in the extended bidding time periods for both of these BCM 50 copies here.

Definitely makes that low grade raw copy going for $3,250 look like an outlier, as compared to these graded copies of BCM 50.  hm

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, surprise, surprise on the down side this time!!!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

That kind of fell short of the mark at only $6,812 and hardly any action at all in the extended bidding time periods for both of these BCM 50 copies here.

Definitely makes that low grade raw copy going for $3,250 look like an outlier, as compared to these graded copies of BCM 50.  hm

True ... I was looking at the last sale of a 5.0 for $6300.00 in June of this year ... curiously, when I searched the database for the PQ of the 5.0, it could NOT locate the book ... 

23 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

I missed the 3.5 result ... what did it sell for?

It sold for $4,401 which I found closer to what the CGC 5.5 than I would have thought, considering the difference in grade between the 2 books.  hm

Then again, what do I know.  (shrug)

56 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

I was looking at the last sale of a 5.0 for $6300.00 in June of this year ... curiously, when I searched the database for the PQ of the 5.0, it could NOT locate the book 

Was it this one? (cream to off-white)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Cat-Mystery-Comics-50-CGC-5-0-Golden-Age-Pre-code-HORROR-classic-Lee-Elia-/113777537637?hash=item1a7dab7265%3Ag%3AyWIAAOSwxeVc%7EZKS&LH_Auction=1&nma=true&si=RLnISxJRutcyGoWGMa5Osaz2L%252FY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The restored Cap #1 7.0 seemed to go pretty cheap. It was a weak 7.0, and folks hate trimming, but 39K is a lot less than what I'd expect an unrestored 2.0 to go for. If it wasn't for the CA sales tax, I would have gone higher for just the flip potential.

7 hours ago, sagii said:

...Mile High Cap Jrs. ending tonight.

Just a spectator but will be exciting to watch :popcorn:

Would you happening to be referring to this particular copy here:

cap3.301a.jpg

Did you get tempted to join in the bidding as it went for $30,001 with a total of 53 bids?  :whatthe:  :flipbait:

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Would you happening to be referring to this particular copy here:

cap3.301a.jpg

Did you get tempted to join in the bidding as it went for $30,001 with a total of 53 bids?  :whatthe:  :flipbait:

That one and the 1st issue, wow, stellar results!

Too rich for my blood, but always fun to watch when marquee items like this come up for auction. 

Congrats in advance if a Boardie or two picked any of these up. 

I don’t mind the extended bidding format, but I don’t like people acting like they can snipe a lot bidding with 2 seconds left.  Then we drag it out for another 2 minutes and 58 seconds and they try again.  By the third time, I just quit watching.

3 minutes ago, walclark said:

I don’t mind the extended bidding format, but I don’t like people acting like they can snipe a lot bidding with 2 seconds left.  Then we drag it out for another 2 minutes and 58 seconds and they try again.  By the third time, I just quit watching.

I bet you wouldn't say the same thing if you was the consignor of the particular lot in question. :bigsmile:

It'll be more like "keep it coming, not a problem at all".  :takeit:

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

The restored Cap #1 7.0 seemed to go pretty cheap. It was a weak 7.0, and folks hate trimming, but 39K is a lot less than what I'd expect an unrestored 2.0 to go for. If it wasn't for the CA sales tax, I would have gone higher for just the flip potential.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=522274

Cap 1 Restored (trimmed top and right edge trimmed) 

$39,000

4CEBD63F-5CC0-4092-9129-10D775B22DB9.jpeg

Edited by Spiderturtle

1 hour ago, walclark said:

My strategy is working :devil:

47 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I sold one book tonight. It doubled in extended  bidding. But the thought I will close my eyes to tonight is the idea someone else shares my interests. That is very validating

HEY THIS IS MY 1000th POST

Hey Clark;

Congrats on your extended bidding auction results as I guess it must have ran on for awhile in order to get a doubling in price.  :applause:

I guess it must be party time for the  :banana: in order to celebrate your big millennium anniversary.  (thumbsu