• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,104 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes. 1000th post. I remember you giving me encouragement on post #1

thanks, lou

You are most welcome!!!  (thumbsu

With so many long term boardies either stepping back from the hobby or leaving the boards for greener pastures elsewhere, it's always imperative to have new blood coming on board to join the party here.  :banana:

Especially when it comes to long time knowledgeable collectors like you who are still so passionate about the hobby after all of these long years.  :applause:

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hard to say where the CGC 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 38 will be closing at since it is currently still sitting at only $20.5K.  Most boardies are figuring it will top out at around the $30K mark or thereabouts, which is definitely still a long ways away from the $54K mark that another CGC 3.0 graded copy was able to reach in one of the CC auctions a couple of years ago.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Well, looks like most of the boardies here were pretty well dead on as this CGC 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 38 finished up at $31,001:

det1.15856a.jpg

Gee, all of these extra $1 bills being thrown around makes me wonder if it was the same bidder who won the Church CGC 9.9 graded copy of Cap marvel Jr #29 with almost the exact same winning bid of $30,001?  Or just a smart bidding strategy on the bidder's part to go just $1 over and above?   hm

2 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Why is he sleeping in his uniform ?

Reminds me of the old adage “buy the Church not the cover”. Congratulations to all the buyers. Captain Marvel Jr. might finally hit the top monthly GA sellers in the GPA CGC market reports.  The grades on all the CMJ books are insane.

40 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

Can't seem to find the auction closing prices on the Comic Connect site... appreciate if someone could tell me how you do this!  Thanks in advance!

They send out emails before the auctions with each individual item linked, where they maintain the sales data.

15 hours ago, tth2 said:
18 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I sold one book tonight. It doubled in extended  bidding.

(thumbsu

Told ya! 

I really think it depends on the particular book in question and also a bit of luck in terms of the eyeballs that's on the book.  hm

Based upon what I have seen for the first 2 days of this auction here, there seems to be a larger proportion of books that appears to be heading right straight into the finish line without pausing to grab any of those 3-minute bonus money packs down the stretch.  (shrug)

Maybe it'll ust work out for me in this case then since virtually all of the books which i have a bid on for the last 2 days have not even moved up a single dollar in the past couple of days.  Especially surprsing is a couple of books that's still sitting at sizable discounts to condition guide valuations, when they have normally always gone for big premiums, if not even multiples to guide in the past.  So, I guess we'll see if my luck holds out til the end here.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

20 hours ago, walclark said:

I don’t mind the extended bidding format, but I don’t like people acting like they can snipe a lot bidding with 2 seconds left.  Then we drag it out for another 2 minutes and 58 seconds and they try again.  By the third time, I just quit watching.

I think what's going on, at least some of the time, is people are hoping that someone bidding on multiple books will get distracted and not notice a last second bid on one of the books. Obviously, "last second" on CC means 2 seconds + 3 minutes. Still, 3 minutes can go by in the blink of an eye if you're juggling multiple open windows. I've had that happen where I planned on bidding again but hadn't noticed that my bid had been topped and the auction was over before I got back to it. 

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
2 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Nice looking copy, but that does seem like a strong result. The census lists 23 copies with higher grades. 

Bang on and definitely the reason why I would be much more in the mindset of selling this book right now, as opposed to paying this kind of ridiculous money to pick one up during this time of irrational exuberance for this particular book. right now.  hm

The only problem with that sound strategy is that I don't have a copy in my collection to sell off.  :(

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think what's going on, at least some of the time, is people are hoping that someone bidding on multiple books will get distracted and not notice a last second bid on one of the books. Obviously, "last second" on CC means 2 seconds + 3 minutes. Still, 3 minutes can go by in the blink of an eye if you're juggling multiple open windows. I've had that happen where I planned on bidding again but hadn't noticed that my bid had been topped and the auction was over before I got back to it. 

This was most definitely the scenario which I (and probably a lot of others) found myself in during the wild, but fun and crazy Jon Berk Auction a couple of summers ago.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

"last second"

I don't do it to be obnoxious, but I wait until the last few seconds to place my bids so I can stretch the auction out as long as possible.  Fun to have books still be bidding on while the auction has moved on down the alphabet.  I have two schools of thought on the 3 minute overtime, it either wrings every last drop out for the seller or it curtails last second hail mary snipe bids hurting the seller.  Personally I think the former.  As Lou Fine brought up, the Berk auction was crazy fun.  

41 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I don't do it to be obnoxious, but I wait until the last few seconds to place my bids so I can stretch the auction out as long as possible.  Fun to have books still be bidding on while the auction has moved on down the alphabet.  I have two schools of thought on the 3 minute overtime, it either wrings every last drop out for the seller or it curtails last second hail mary snipe bids hurting the seller.  Personally I think the former.  As Lou Fine brought up, the Berk auction was crazy fun.  

It's difficult to figure. Occasionally on CL you can apparently have two nuclear bomb bids (as @jimjum12 once put it) colliding: Two bidders put in "will not be denied" snipes, not really expecting to have to pay that price--until one of them does. OTOH, I've certainly been sucked into paying more than I intended to on CC and HA--more than my snipe would have been on CL.