• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,108 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:
8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

That's pretty weak.

Yeah, my Green Lanterns did pretty poorly. 

Yes, that's the problem with collecting runs nowadays when the focus seems to be so much more towards keys, classic covers, and the HTF issues.  :(

Especially in terms of the DC's, where most of them generally have pretty lame covers and tend to go for less than condition guide.  The latter part of the GL run seems to generate more interest since they are apparently a bit tougher to find.  It looks like you did alright with the D copy of GL #33 since this one here managed to sell for multiples to guide  (thumbsu, although my favorite issue of the entire GL run is this one here:  :luhv:

gre1.598a.jpg

From reading some of the other threads here, it would appear that some of the other extended runs in the auction here such as the Frankenstein run and the Miss Fury runs are also from your collection.  Would the Negro Romance run also be yours because I tried real hard to acquire issue #2 figuring the PLOD label might have scare some of the bidders away?  No such luck on my part as the book kind of went ballistics during the extended bidding time periods and ended up at somewhere well over $2K.  :whatthe:  :cry:

Anyways, I guess everybody has to cash out a part of their collection at some point in time and I hope you did well with all of your consignments on this go round here.  :wishluck:

13 hours ago, blackterror said:

Did anybody get the price on the Miss Fury #2 in 7.0 that sold in the auction tonight?  

Also the GCE 12 in the post above … did it sell in this auction also and at what price? 

Is there a way to look at items after a comicconnect auction and see what they sold for?  

Thanks for any help and insight.

If you get on their mailing list, then before each auction they'll send you five or six e-mails that list every book in the auction with a link to the page. The links remain active after the auction closes, at least for a while.

Otherwise, once an auction closes, the book usually disappears from the list that comes up searching their site by title. I believe they report most (or maybe all) of their results to GPA. So the prices should show up on there. 

5 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

Yeah, my Green Lanterns did pretty poorly. 

GL 1 has one of the all time best covers, and the content is great too. I wish I still had my copy. Classic cover, major key...

I don't get why it gets short shrift compared IMHO to lesser books.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

The links remain active after the auction closes, at least for a while.

I guess it depends on your definition of "for a while"?  :bigsmile:

I've set up a separate sub-directory in my email box for the CC auction notices and I've got them back to February of 2014 so far.  As far as I can tell, all of these links are still active and availble for you to view.  I haven't yet gone back into my email box to search for the earlier ones in order to move them to the auction sub-directoy yet since I figure that's pretty old data anyways.   

So, I guess you do have some kind of historical archive with respect to the CC auction results.  If you want to do a search by book, however, I believe it's probably better to search on their Sold Items icon on the left hand side of their website.  The only problem here is that it appears that they are possibly quite a few auctions behind in terms of updating this part of their database, so hopefully they can take care of that going forward.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, that's the problem with collecting runs nowadays when the focus seems to be so much more towards keys, classic covers, and the HTF issues.  :(

Especially in terms of the DC's, where most of them generally have pretty lame covers and tend to go for less than condition guide.  The latter part of the GL run seems to generate more interest since they are apparently a bit tougher to find.  It looks like you did alright with the D copy of GL #33 since this one here managed to sell for multiples to guide  (thumbsu, although my favorite issue of the entire GL run is this one here:  :luhv:

gre1.598a.jpg

From reading some of the other threads here, it would appear that some of the other extended runs in the auction here such as the Frankenstein run and the Miss Fury runs are also from your collection.  Would the Negro Romance run also be yours because I tried real hard to acquire issue #2 figuring the PLOD label might have scare some of the bidders away?  No such luck on my part as the book kind of went ballistics during the extended bidding time periods and ended up at somewhere well over $2K.  :whatthe:  :cry:

Anyways, I guess everybody has to cash out a part of their collection at some point in time and I hope you did well with all of your consignments on this go round here.  :wishluck:

Yeah, I put a few runs in the auction. Negro Romance wasn’t one. Overall, things have balanced out thus far (*raps wood*). Some have over-performed, some under. GLs weaker across the board than I hoped - save for the 33.  

Space Adventures up tonight. That set was pretty challenging (and cool). A few of those are tough, tough, tough (5, 14, and 19 among others)....

I’m not liquidating, but I did part with a pretty hefty load. Plan on refocusing parts of my collecting a bit. Cut a bit deeper than I should have in hindsight, as I have some seller’s remorse. 

gre1.598a.jpg

Also, one thing that people might not have noticed was that the entire GL run was FN or better. That took some hunting. A few of those are pretty challenging. 

That #30, for instance, sooooo hard to find a decent copy of that. 

2 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

Also, one thing that people might not have noticed was that the entire GL run was FN or better. That took some hunting. A few of those are pretty challenging. 

I believe #30 and #36 are the hardest to find in decent condition. If forced to pick, I would go for #36 as the toughest.

I noticed a few books in this auction that rarely turn up. All Flash #32 is another I would put in that category.

Yeah, I put a few runs in the auction. Negro Romance wasn’t one. Overall, things have balanced out thus far (*raps wood*). Some have over-performed, some under. GLs weaker across the board than I hoped - save for the 33.  

Space Adventures up tonight. That set was pretty challenging (and cool). A few of those are tough, tough, tough (5, 14, and 19 among others)....

I’m not liquidating, but I did part with a pretty hefty load. Plan on refocusing parts of my collecting a bit. Cut a bit deeper than I should have in hindsight, as I have some seller’s remorse. 

Too bad the Negro Romance run wasn't yours since it looks like the consignor pick them up from a Heritage Auction back at the beginning of 2011.  Based upon the prices from then until the results last night, it looks they went up by almost 150%.  Not too bad at all, especially when you also get the enjoyment of owing a very tough run in the interim.  (thumbsu

As I was saying, I was hoping the PLOD label for Negro Romance #2 would scare already some of the bidders as I really like this photo cover here:

neg2.7a.jpg

You also gotta give credit to the consignor that they didn't bother to resub the book for a new label since the new grading and restoration definitions means that CGC would have taken it out from the dreaded PLOD holder and placed it into a much more desirable Conserved holder.  :applause:

8 minutes ago, incognito said:

I believe #30 and #36 are the hardest to find in decent condition. If forced to pick, I would go for #36 as the toughest.

Well, if the CGC population census report is any indication, I would have to agree with BB's assessment that GL #30 is real tough to find in decent condition.  (thumbsu

Especially since the census report indicates 1 and only 1 copy of GL 30 above a grade of CGC 7.0, while GL 36 on the other hand, has a total of 5 graded copies at a condition grade level of CGC 7.5 and up.  hm

Besides that, I also much prefer the cover for GL 30 over the cover for GL 36 featuring just Streak the Wonder Dog about to feast on a couple of baddies.  Especially since the GL 30 cover features an impossibly proportioned femme fatale in the bright yellow dress.  Makes me wonder how super tight that girdle must be that she's wearing and how in the world can she breathe at all if it's wound that tight around her waist.  :luhv:   lol

1 hour ago, incognito said:

I noticed a few books in this auction that rarely turn up. All Flash #32 is another I would put in that category.

Yeah, 36 is awfully tough. I’d go #30 in grade. The AF32 was mine too. It’s tougher than either of those GLs.

49 minutes ago, Norrin's lawyer said:

I was really surprised. They were beautiful books.  The Flash books were outstanding as well. 

Many thanks. Loads of pretty books among those titles. I love that Flash run, but it felt like time to let most go. I might reassemble in a higher grade at some point. I held back a few I couldn’t live without, including my 96, which is on par with the AF32 as being miserably tough. And cool. 

On 9/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, lou_fine said:
On 9/9/2019 at 11:29 AM, Gotham Kid said:

The biggest highlights ( AC1 8.5(R) and Batman 1 8.0 ) of CC auction Sept 2019 ending tonight.

Yes indeed, as it looks like Bat 1 for the Gold and Action 1 for the Silver, with the Bronze most likely being held by Spidey until he hands it off to Phantom Lady on Thursday afternoon.  hm  lol

Way behind eating their dust and sweeping up the racetrack floor will be both the rare Italian and possibly even rarer Peruvian editions of Walking Dead #1, with both of them still sitting there at the astonomical price of $1 with no customer bids to their credit yet.  :facepalm:  :cry:

:news: Well, looks like it was much more of a squeaker than I had originally thought as Phantom Lady with her outstretched longer fingernails just manages to snatch the Bronze medal out of Spidey's hands with a bid of $121K over Spidey's top bid of $120K.  ^^

Still at the back of the pack choking from all of the dust is the rare Italian edition of Walking Dead #1 at $1 and still unable to get out of the starting gate, while the super rare Peruvian version is now clearly ahead in second last place with a triple size bid of $3.  lol  :takeit:

Well, if the CGC population census report is any indication, I would have to agree with BB's assessment that GL #30 is real tough to find in decent condition.  (thumbsu

Especially since the census report indicates 1 and only 1 copy of GL 30 above a grade of CGC 7.0, while GL 36 on the other hand, has a total of 5 graded copies at a condition grade level of CGC 7.5 and up.  hm

Besides that, I also much prefer the cover for GL 30 over the cover for GL 36 featuring just Streak the Wonder Dog about to feast on a couple of baddies.  Especially since the GL 30 cover features an impossibly proportioned femme fatale in the bright yellow dress.  Makes me wonder how super tight that girdle must be that she's wearing and how in the world can she breathe at all if it's wound that tight around her waist.  :luhv:   lol

I absolutely agree that GL 30 has the better cover.

4 minutes ago, szav said:
11 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Phantom Lady 17  :flipbait::flipbait::flipbait:

True enough but the #13 CGC 9.0 at $25,500 was a far greater surprise to me.

Yes, especially since quite a few of the boardies here were thinking of possibly the mid-$100K's for the PL 17.  (shrug)