• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,105 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I had some weird distorted fantasy that maybe I could snag that Wonder Comics 1.  Was I ever shocked the I saw the final hammer price. :whatthe:

Even the 4.0  Wonder 2 went for well over 4X Overstreet Guide.

Although it looks like a steal given what the 1 went for. 

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
17 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I had some weird distorted fantasy that maybe I could snag that Wonder Comics 1.  Was I ever shocked the I saw the final hammer price. :whatthe:

I pushed hard but couldn’t take the heat:makepoint:

Says the arsonist! :baiting:

23 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 9/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, lou_fine said:
On 9/9/2019 at 11:29 AM, Gotham Kid said:

The biggest highlights ( AC1 8.5(R) and Batman 1 8.0 ) of CC auction Sept 2019 ending tonight.

Yes indeed, as it looks like Bat 1 for the Gold and Action 1 for the Silver, with the Bronze most likely being held by Spidey until he hands it off to Phantom Lady on Thursday afternoon.  hm  lol

Way behind eating their dust and sweeping up the racetrack floor will be both the rare Italian and possibly even rarer Peruvian editions of Walking Dead #1, with both of them still sitting there at the astonomical price of $1 with no customer bids to their credit yet.  :facepalm:  :cry:

:news: Well, looks like it was much more of a squeaker than I had originally thought as Phantom Lady with her outstretched longer fingernails just manages to snatch the Bronze medal out of Spidey's hands with a bid of $121K over Spidey's top bid of $120K.  ^^

Still at the back of the pack choking from all of the dust is the rare Italian edition of Walking Dead #1 at $1 and still unable to get out of the starting gate, while the super rare Peruvian version is now clearly ahead in second last place with a triple size bid of $3.  lol  :takeit:

:news:  Surprise, surprise, as Professor X shocks the audience by actually stepping up from his wheelchair and digs inside Phantom Lady's top :blush: where she thought it was safely hidden away, only to have him grab the now hot Bronze medal and sheepishly hand it to his band of merry mutants.  :takeit:

As for the contest at the other end of the building, it looks like the rare Italian edition of Walking Dead #1 with the winning sum of $15 was able to beat out the super rare Peruvian edition at $21 in their 2-dog race for bottom of the barrel honors.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I guess the QES sticker cost  about $50,000 on this one...I give the sticker itself a 6.5 for placement and the cut.  I'm not sure they met their own criteria for it.

Edited by szav

13 hours ago, szav said:
13 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I guess the QES sticker cost  about $50,000 on this one...I give the sticker itself a 6.5 for placement and the cut.  I'm not sure they met their own criteria for it.

Yes indeed, as I was rather shocked it actually managed to climbed all the way up there from where it was earlier in the day.  :whatthe:

If I remember correctly, it was sitting at only something like $65K not too long before its scheduled auction end time.

Actually, based upon some of the 4-figure and 3-figure results for what I though were not so HTF books, it looks like the gang at Metro and CC must have hyped this collection properly and also used their extensive network of connections to get the right buyers interested in this Key Collection.  I assume the long-time collector should be ecstatic with the results as this will indeed go a long ways to paying off some of his hefty medical bills and also to provide some type of legacy for his family going forward.  :applause:

On 9/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, Point Five said:
On 9/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Happy to get this book at a reasonable price ...

SSP9.jpg

Long been one of my favorite ECs. Great cover and (if you crack it!) absolutely top interior content, with Kamen on a Ray Bradbury horror story and Reed Crandall's killer artwork on Carrion Death. (thumbsu

+1

I think you pretty well nailed it right on the head with your detailed analysis here.  (thumbsu

On 9/12/2019 at 3:47 PM, BarristerBaker said:
On 9/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, Norrin's lawyer said:

I was really surprised. They were beautiful books.  The Flash books were outstanding as well. 

Many thanks. Loads of pretty books among those titles. I love that Flash run, but it felt like time to let most go. I might reassemble in a higher grade at some point. I held back a few I couldn’t live without, including my 96, which is on par with the AF32 as being miserably tough. And cool. 

Wow, that's definitely a ton of books to be giving up at one time, although I think you did mentioned in another post that this is only a portion of your collection so far.  Definitely hope this is the case as it looks like you have quite a lot of goodies in your collection.  (thumbsu

I can definitely feel for you as a collector whenever you do decide to let a part of your collection go.  Everybody takes a different approach to it as some will do it by runs such as you seem to be doing or some like Jon Berk who will do it all at once.  Whichever way they do decide to take, all I can do is wish them the best for safeguarding and taking care of these wonderful books for all these long years so that they can be passed off to the next generation of collectors.  :applause:

At the same time, it also makes me especailly happy that you have also held back a few for yourself which you simply couldn't live without, similar to what Jon apparently did with a few of the Centaurs from his much loved collection.  :cloud9:

8 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

some like Jon Berk who will do it all at once.

Jon let go large portions of his collection in the two decades prior to the big sale.

Yes, I guess it was indeed a combination of both dispersal strategies and possibly the best of both worlds.  (thumbsu

But the big CC offload at the end was so massive that it basically seem to overwhelm all of the smaller individual run dispersals he had done in the past.  (shrug)

Makes wonder if we have been seeing some of the same strategy being followed by Dave Anderson with some of his 2nd tier runs apparently being auctioned off through Heritage during the past couple of years.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/11/2019 at 6:04 PM, EastEnd1 said:
On 9/11/2019 at 11:44 AM, comicnoir said:

That is INCREDIBLE!

On 9/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, comicnoir said:
On 9/11/2019 at 2:29 PM, lou_fine said:

Bang on and definitely the reason why I would be much more in the mindset of selling this book right now, as opposed to paying this kind of ridiculous money to pick one up during this time of irrational exuberance for this particular book. right now.  hm

The only problem with that sound strategy is that I don't have a copy in my collection to sell off.  :(

Well I have a copy, maybe nicer than the one that sold. I should be slabbing and sending it to these guys. But I kinda like it. Only paid $95.00 long time ago.

Do you remember approximately when this time period was, especcially since it probably even nicer than this copy that just sold for the astounding sum of $12,536:

cha1.559a.jpg

Being the dumb finicky collector that I was way back in the day when the books just had to look relatively perfect, I am 100% sure that I would have passed on this book even at only $95.  Heck, to tell you the honest truth and being the El Cheapo guy that I am, without the guide and without any knowledge of these latest insane auction results for certain books over these past few years, I would probably still pass on it today for only $95 since it's not really in my particular collecting wheelhouse.  :screwy:  :facepalm:

Just looking at some of the auction prices being paid for these not so HG copies of GA books that are now seen as keys, classic covers, or HTF books makes me really wish that I could have a time machine and go back to change my bad bad decisions about not bothering to pick them up because I simply thought at the time they still were not in that nice enough condition for me to spend my money on.  doh!  :cry:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Do you remember approximately when this time period was, especcially since it probably even nicer than this copy that just sold for the astounding sum of $12,536:

cha1.559a.jpg

Being the dumb finicky collector that I was way back in the day when the books just had to look relatively perfect, I am 100% sure that I would have passed on this book even at only $95.  Heck, to tell you the honest truth and being the El Cheapo guy that I am, without the guide and without any knowledge of these latest insane auction results for certain books over these past few years, I would probably still pass on it today for only $95 since it's not really in my particular collecting wheelhouse.  :screwy:  :facepalm:

Just looking at some of the auction prices being paid for these not so HG copies of GA books that are now seen as keys, classic covers, or HTF books makes me really wish that I could have a time machine and go back to change my bad bad decisions about not bothering to pick them up because I simply thought at the time they still were not in that nice enough condition for me to spend my money on.  doh!  :cry:

It was, and still is, the Crippen copy on a Ha weekly auction just when they were starting out. I was familiar with the book because Harley had a HG copy he wanted $350.00 for which I thought was a lot even though I wanted it. Was happy and surprised when I got this one for much cheaper. The Crippen had better colour strike than Harley's.

Chamber of Chills 19.jpeg

24 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

Here's my copy... I got this on Ebay (believe it or not) around 2005/6 for the then gargantuan sum of $313!!  I'm pretty sure it's a file copy ( as I bought numerous other file copies from this same seller around that time) and I think grades to an UNPRESSED 9.0...

116991066_chamberofchills19.thumb.jpg.8ea97ccd0a1c03d2f8f5d7886fd1f958.jpg

You mean besides the 82 Universal graded copies already slabbed, with a large proportion of these in relatively nice condition, there is still a whole slew of these in Raw condition that has yet to be held in the hands of a grader?  :bigsmile:

Definitely makes one wonder why this particular book, as based upon the supply side of the equation, would already be trading into strong and seemingly continuously rising 4-figures territory.  (shrug)

BTW:  Big congrats there on your super nice copy though and holding it for so long, especially relative to the price you had paid for the book.  (thumbsu :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You mean besides the 82 Universal graded copies already slabbed, with a large proportion of these in relatively nice condition, there is still a whole slew of these in Raw condition that has yet to be held in the hands of a grader?  :bigsmile:

Definitely makes one wonder why this particular book, as based upon the supply side of the equation, would already be trading into strong and seemingly continuously rising 4-figures territory.  (shrug)

BTW:  Big congrats there on your super nice copy though and holding it for so long, especially relative to the price you had paid for the book.  (thumbsu :applause:

wasn't there a Harvey warehouse find yet for some reason CGC calls them file copies?  There's probably loads out there...like The Thing #16

lots of Misfits fans with money to burn I suppose

25 minutes ago, vheflin said:

wasn't there a Harvey warehouse find yet for some reason CGC calls them file copies?  There's probably loads out there...like The Thing #16

lots of Misfits fans with money to burn I suppose

I believe it really depends on the particular book in question.  (shrug)

If you are talking about some of the really early Poughkeepsie File Copies from the late 30's or the very early 40's, these mostly appear to be HG single copies only which were retained and stored right in the offices of the publisher.  :cloud9:   :takeit:

If you are talking about some of the later file copies such as the Gold Key Phantom #1 or many of the Harvey funny character books, these were indeed found with multiple copies inside their warehouse storage facilities.  Not sure which category the Chamber of Chills #19 would fall into, but quite sure that Thing #16 would indeed be a warehouse find considering there are already 182 graded copies out there, with a whopping total of over 100 of these being in CGC 9.0 or better.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine