• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,095 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, vheflin said:

wasn't there a Harvey warehouse find yet for some reason CGC calls them file copies?  There's probably loads out there...like The Thing #16

lots of Misfits fans with money to burn I suppose

Yep, a warehouse find that they call file copies for sure...but the question still remains, how many copies exactly came out of that warehouse and does it put the number of these books out there even close to what's out there for SA books?  They may be more common than your typical GA books, but that doesn't mean there's even close to enough to go around to meet demand.

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, as I was rather shocked it actually managed to climbed all the way up there from where it was earlier in the day.  :whatthe:

Once again, there is no correlation between pre-final bidding prices and final prices.  I might be shocked at where prices finished in comparison to my estimate of final bids, but I'm never shocked at where prices finish in comparison to bids that were put in before the 3 minute clock started.

But let me borrow the words of a much wiser person to make my point:

Image result for iverson practice rant
I mean, listen, we're talking about pre-final bids, not final bids, not final bidding, not final bidding, we talking about pre-final bids. Not final bids...

Not final bids, but we're talking about pre-final bids, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about pre-final bids. I know they happen. I know there are weeks and weeks before final bidding for people to put in bids... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about pre-final bids man. What are we talking about? Pre-final bids? We're talking about pre-final bids, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about pre-final bids. We're talking about pre-final bids. We ain't talking about final bids. [more laughter] We're talking about pre-final bids, man. When you get to final bidding, and you see the real bidders bidding, you see them putting in their real bids, don't you? You've seen them give everything they've got, right? But we're talking about pre-final bids right now.

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, based upon some of the 4-figure and 3-figure results for what I though were not so HTF books, it looks like the gang at Metro and CC must have hyped this collection properly and also used their extensive network of connections to get the right buyers interested in this Key Collection. 

This is the first CC auction that I can remember in a while where I came away thinking that CC got better prices for a lot of books than Heritage would've gotten for the same books.

The extremely strong prices for the Church CMJ run blew away anything that Heritage has achieved for comparable CMJs.  This reinforces the benefit of putting up a run together, but also seems to indicate that CC has better connections to CMJ collectors.

12 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 9/14/2019 at 9:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Actually, based upon some of the 4-figure and 3-figure results for what I though were not so HTF books, it looks like the gang at Metro and CC must have hyped this collection properly and also used their extensive network of connections to get the right buyers interested in this Key Collection. 

This is the first CC auction that I can remember in a while where I came away thinking that CC got better prices for a lot of books than Heritage would've gotten for the same books.

The extremely strong prices for the Church CMJ run blew away anything that Heritage has achieved for comparable CMJs.  This reinforces the benefit of putting up a run together, but also seems to indicate that CC has better connections to CMJ collectors.

I would tend to agree to the part about putting a run together, but I also tend to think it depends upon the size of the run.  If the run is too big or if you have a ton of runs all at one time (i.e. like the Jon Berk Auction), I don't think you will get top dollar in that particular situation because there is only so much money to go around at one time.  Hence, in that type of situation, it's really easy for the bidders to simply pass a lot if they feel it's leaning towards the high side and mentally reallocate their money for the rest of the desired lots to follow.  hm

As for certain auction houses doing better than other auction houses, I always feel that the consignors also carries some responsibility here.  It's really up to them to do their due diligence as from my point of view, there's really no one answer that fits all.  For example, if it's OA or any 6-figure GA book save the pre-Robin 'Tec's or early Action's, I would definitely go with Heritage for sure.  Yet, if it's uber HG BA books and more recent going forward, I would be throwing them CL's way.  If it's some of the bigger books like the pre-Robin 'Tec's or the early Action's, I would be leaning heavily towards CC since they seem to clearly be the market makers here.  As for the other GA books, it would probably be a toss-up between CC or Heritage depending upon the type of deal you can get with HA.  Not sure about the SA market at all since I don't really follow it too much and I am sure you would know a lot more about that part of the market.  (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree to the part about putting a run together, but I also tend to think it depends upon the size of the run.  If the run is too big or if you have a ton of runs all at one time (i.e. like the Jon Berk Auction), I don't think you will get top dollar in that particular situation because there is only so much money to go around at one time.  Hence, in that type of situation, it's really easy for the bidders to simply pass a lot if they feel it's leaning towards the high side and mentally reallocate their money for the rest of the desired lots to follow.  hm

As for certain auction houses doing better than other auction houses, I always feel that the consignors also carries some responsibility here.  It's really up to them to do their due diligence as from my point of view, there's really no one answer that fits all.  For example, if it's OA or any 6-figure GA book save the pre-Robin 'Tec's or early Action's, I would definitely go with Heritage for sure.  Yet, if it's uber HG BA books and more recent going forward, I would be throwing them CL's way.  If it's some of the bigger books like the pre-Robin 'Tec's or the early Action's, I would be leaning heavily towards CC since they seem to clearly be the market makers here.  As for the other GA books, it would probably be a toss-up between CC or Heritage depending upon the type of deal you can get with HA.  Not sure about the SA market at all since I don't really follow it too much and I am sure you would know a lot more about that part of the market.  (thumbsu

I agree with as they probably have the same whale buyers, however that e-bay auction of Action #1 is still a record breaker.

18 hours ago, vheflin said:
18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You mean besides the 82 Universal graded copies already slabbed, with a large proportion of these in relatively nice condition, there is still a whole slew of these in Raw condition that has yet to be held in the hands of a grader?  :bigsmile:

Definitely makes one wonder why this particular book, as based upon the supply side of the equation, would already be trading into strong and seemingly continuously rising 4-figures territory.  (shrug)

BTW:  Big congrats there on your super nice copy though and holding it for so long, especially relative to the price you had paid for the book.  (thumbsu :applause:

wasn't there a Harvey warehouse find yet for some reason CGC calls them file copies?  There's probably loads out there...like The Thing #16

lots of Misfits fans with money to burn I suppose

Thanks Lou!

I definitely wouldn't compare CoC#19 to The Thing #16... I've seen plenty of high grade Thing #16s for sale over the years.. can't say I've seen many high grade CoC#19s, even with it being a file copy.  Looks like there's about 20 in 8.0 or better (what I define as "high grade") and only 7 in 9.0 or better on the census.  It's a little high but don't think it's a crazy tally reflecting a horde of high grade issues out there (even though it's true my file copy is raw and there are certainly others still not reflected on the census).  If you look at GPA, also looks like there's as many file copies BELOW 9.0 as above so the file copies don't necessarily denote super-high grade.  Having said that, if there are many of these sitting out there, you would expect to see a bunch hit the market pretty soon with this sort of recent pricing!!  I suppose you might have a lot of collectors reluctant to part with theirs (I'm one of them!)... there are I think seven Gaines file copies of Crime Suspenstories #22 and according to GPA one hasn't publicly traded hands since 2003!!... but $12k for a 7.0 of this less historic book sure is enticing!! 

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

All three of them! Just kidding—but I do wonder if the same two or three guys were the top bidders on all of those books. I was interested in a couple of the issues but not for anything close to what they sold for.

1 hour ago, EastEnd1 said:

Thanks Lou!

I definitely wouldn't compare CoC#19 to The Thing #16... I've seen plenty of high grade Thing #16s for sale over the years.. can't say I've seen many high grade CoC#19s, even with it being a file copy.  Looks like there's about 20 in 8.0 or better (what I define as "high grade") and only 7 in 9.0 or better on the census.  It's a little high but don't think it's a crazy tally reflecting a horde of high grade issues out there (even though it's true my file copy is raw and there are certainly others still not reflected on the census).  If you look at GPA, also looks like there's as many file copies BELOW 9.0 as above so the file copies don't necessarily denote super-high grade.  Having said that, if there are many of these sitting out there, you would expect to see a bunch hit the market pretty soon with this sort of recent pricing!!  I suppose you might have a lot of collectors reluctant to part with theirs (I'm one of them!)... there are I think seven Gaines file copies of Crime Suspenstories #22 and according to GPA one hasn't publicly traded hands since 2003!!... but $12k for a 7.0 of this less historic book sure is enticing!! 

Many of the CoC Harvey File copies were water damaged. That's not to say there aren't a disproportionate amount of VF or better copies out there than other horror books, but it's not Thing 16 territory. 

Here's a lot of 18 low grade FCs that Heritage sold. Prescient buyer at $400 and change, considering the pile is worth well north of $10,000 at this point. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by october

4 minutes ago, october said:

Many of the CoC Harvey File copies were water damaged. That's not to say there aren't a disproportionate amount of VF or better copies out there than other horror books, but it's not Thing 16 territory. 

Here's a lot of 18 low graders that Heritage sold. Prescient buyer at $400 and change, considering the pile is worth well north of $10,000 at this point. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I was an underbidder. Should have stepped up my game.

8 minutes ago, october said:

Here's a lot of 18 low grade FCs that Heritage sold. Prescient buyer at $400 and change, considering the pile is worth well north of $10,000 at this point. 

lf.jpg.d0d4d5502a11511c8b6622def3508f06.jpg

Wonder if the watery ripples could be pressed out though...$$$

20 hours ago, october said:

I was at a Fred Greenberg show in NYC in the 90's when a dealer had a huge table of Harvey's that were being marketed as Harvey File copies. At least 20 long boxes full. I'd say 20-30% of them were badly water damaged and many more had minor stains. There were multiple copies of most issues from many different runs in there. I remember carefully picking through the Black Cat Mystery's and selecting the best copy I could of my favorite, No. 32 (the bondage cover with dancing pygmy). It was the only one I bought and I paid the princely sum of $30. It later graded at CGC 9.4.

I can't even fathom the $ I left behind in those bins now. At the time I considered those Harvey's crude, common (partly because so many were in front of me) and the covers mostly unappealing but I guess every dog has its day.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, vheflin said:

Wonder if the watery ripples could be pressed out though...$$$

Pressing might flatten the ripples, but the places where the paper was wet would still be irreparably damaged and the texture would feel different.  If you held the cover up to the light, the nice smooth gloss would be interrupted in all of the water damaged areas. :sick:

I sold a raw COC copy on eBay once upon a time for, I'm sure, a pittance.  Big difference between how Gaines stored his "file copies" and how, apparently, Harvey stored theirs.  Warehouse finds usually look like they've been stored in a warehouse.  It is amazing how pricing momentum for comics works.  The hammer price for the Zoot's in this auction was also out of sight.  In there wake this nice one just ended on eBay for over a grand.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoot-Comics-14-1948-CGC-7-0-OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE-Pages/293221635575  I had one sitting in my ebay store at $750 for over two months, had a hunch and raised the price to $950 on Sunday, sold last night!  https://www.ebay.com/itm/293215035382  Definitely irrational exuberance.

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I sold a raw COC copy on eBay once upon a time for, I'm sure, a pittance.  Big difference between how Gaines stored his "file copies" and how, apparently, Harvey stored theirs.  Warehouse finds usually look like they've been stored in a warehouse.  It is amazing how pricing momentum for comics works.  The hammer price for the Zoot's in this auction was also out of sight.  In there wake this nice one just ended on eBay for over a grand.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoot-Comics-14-1948-CGC-7-0-OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE-Pages/293221635575  I had one sitting in my ebay store at $750 for over two months, had a hunch and raised the price to $950 on Sunday, sold last night!  https://www.ebay.com/itm/293215035382  Definitely irrational exuberance.

Wow. I don't get those prices at all.....but what else is new. 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Nov 2019 auction

act1.15334a.jpg

2nd prettiest page 5 I’ve ever seen. Would love to see it beat the page 1 ( my favorite single page ) 25k record but don’t know if that’s possible. It’s certainly “ prettier “ 

Edited by Chicago Boy