• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,166 posts in this topic

Well, it looks like the consignor of the Action 13 must have lost money on 

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

AC13 9.2 sold for only 166K. Someone walked off with a nice price.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=858334

Yes, this book finished a lot lower than where I was expecting it to end up at by quite a wide margin.  :whatthe:

I imagine the consignor must not be very happy right now as it appears they would have lost money on this copy of the book here:  :frown:

act1.15402a.jpg

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, this book finished a lot lower than where I was expecting it to end up at by quite a wide margin.  :whatthe:

I imagine the consignor must not be very happy right now as it appears they would have lost money on this copy of the book here:  :frown:

act1.15402a.jpg

last sale  was 185k in 2011? 

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, that is a very strong price for this book here.  (thumbsu

Rather shocking from my point of view since I have personally never been a big fan of this particular cover myself:  :p

act1.15448a.jpg

That issue is very hard to find in HG.  It's still a strong price, though.  Even for a Church copy.  

Someone got a heck of a buy on the #13  

31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

act1.15402a.jpg

Last CC sale in 2011 was

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=415254&enlarge=1

AF 15 CGC 8.0 sold for 192K

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=855235

A LONG way from the record 261K another 8.0 sold for in 2017 on ComicLink

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp&id=1178499&next=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp

I guess the PQ and the slightly bigger mis-wrap will be the excuse for the 69K difference. Or maybe the CVA sticker :eyeroll:

Still an impressive price.

Edited by Gotham Kid

41 minutes ago, SuperBird said:
59 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

act1.15402a.jpg

last sale  was 185k in 2011? 

I guess it really depends if you are talking about the CGC grade or this particular copy of Action 13?  hm

Yes, the CGC 9.2 graded Atlantic City copy of this book did indeed sell for $185K back in 20111, but this was when top of guide was running at only $30K.  :whatthe:

Makes you wonder if the Overstreet guide has finally caught up to this book or not since top of guide is now at $190K?  Although I will say this is the ONLY copy of Action 13 that I have seen sell for a discount to guide, with even restored copies selling for a premium to guide in the past.  (thumbsu

Based upon the way the bidding was going, my bet is that the winner will be absolutely ecstatic :whee: as I strongly believe they had a much higher bid in on the book.  What kept the price down this time was the lack of an underbidder(s) that was willing to go higher than the eventual winning amount.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

13 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

AF 15 CGC 8.0 sold for 192K

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=855235

A LONG way from the record 261K another 8.0 sold for in 2017 on ComicLink

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp&id=1178499&next=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp

I guess the PQ and the slightly bigger mis-wrap will be the excuse for the 69K difference. Or maybe the CVA sticker :eyeroll:

Still an impressive price.

Peter;

I believe you are going to get the AF 15 speculators and investors in a tizzy here, especially in terms of that thread they have going on the SA boards about the continuing falling price for AF 15's.  :tonofbricks:

This auction result and price comparison will only serve to heighten their level of anxiety.  :ohnoez:

Of course, although most of us here laugh about the value of a CVA sticker, I would have to honestly say that recent auction results for various books would indicate there might be some actual value behind having this sticker on a slabbed book.  hm

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it really depends if you are talking about the CGC grade or this particular copy of Action 13?  hm

Yes, the CGC 9.2 graded Atlantic City copy of this book did indeed sell for $185K back in 20111, but this was when top of guide was running at only $30K.  :whatthe:

Makes you wonder if the Overstreet guide has finally caught up to this book or not since top of guide is now at $190K?  Although I will say this is the ONLY copy of Action 13 that I have seen sell for a discount to guide, with even restored copies selling for a premium to guide in the past.  (thumbsu

Based upon the way the bidding was going, my bet is that the winner will be absolutely ecstatic :whee: as I strongly believe they had a much higher bid in on the book.  What kept the price down this time was the lack of an underbidder(s) that was willing to go higher than the eventual winning amount.  hm

I thought about this book and (let the bricks begin to fly) wasn’t sure it had the legs to carry it in the hearts and minds of future collectors. Like the 7 and the 10, it’s an early Supe cover. No new characters (to my knowledge), just early Supe covers. Sorry, that truly was my thought 

33 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I thought about this book and (let the bricks begin to fly) wasn’t sure it had the legs to carry it in the hearts and minds of future collectors. Like the 7 and the 10, it’s an early Supe cover. No new characters (to my knowledge), just early Supe covers. Sorry, that truly was my thought 

Hello, my name is Greg and I am a recovering Action 13 fan.  I have been off the Action 13 bandwagon for two year.  It was hard at first but I can assure you, it gets easier with time.

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Hello, my name is Greg and I am a recovering Action 13 fan.  I have been off the Action 13 bandwagon for two year.  It was hard at first but I can assure you, it gets easier with time.

Hello Greg. I have my own confession. Despite my words earlier, I truly love the deco train

57 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I would suggest rather than spending the money for the comic, you buy one of the Saafield puzzles, assemble it and hand it on the wall. :banana: 

Action13puzzle.jpg

Wow, now that's a fantastic idea somebody has there.  :applause:

I remember selling off a big GA book back in '94 and I went and took a scan of the front cover so that I could turn it into a jigsaw puzzle before letting the book go.  When the buyer saw my jigsaw puzzle, he had to take a much more careful look at the book as he figured that I had created it directly from the book and might have damaged it in the process.  :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe what happened here is that the winner of this book was bidding based upon the current assigned CGC grade of NM- 9.2 and the fact that it was now tied for highest graded copy with the Atlantic City copy.  (thumbsu

The underbidders for this copy here was probably bidding less for the current grade and possibly more for the underlying book itself, knowing full well they possibly could have had the book for less money a year ago, even though that would have been at a premium to condition guide at the time.  hm

I personally think the primary reason for the lower than expected price on this book here really lies in the hands of the consignor here.  Especially when it's usually not a good idea and a bit of a gamble to put a high dollar, high profile book like this back into the marketplace in such a short period of time and expect to make some fast and easy money on it.   doh!

Edited by lou_fine