• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,106 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:
5 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

$27,500 final bid. IMO the best page out of Action Comics #1.

This was previously a statement only used to describe a page of original art. :p

Wow, that really puts it into context. 

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

Oofta, some crazy low hammer prices. I'm assuming there's a lot of upset sellers out there.

It's all about getting the lowest commission and not having to pay BP, right?

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:
4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

AF 15 CGC 8.0 sold for 192K

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=855235

A LONG way from the record 261K another 8.0 sold for in 2017 on ComicLink

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp&id=1178499&next=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp

I guess the PQ and the slightly bigger mis-wrap will be the excuse for the 69K difference. Or maybe the CVA sticker :eyeroll:

Still an impressive price.

Peter;

I believe you are going to get the AF 15 speculators and investors in a tizzy here, especially in terms of that thread they have going on the SA boards about the continuing falling price for AF 15's.  :tonofbricks:

This auction result and price comparison will only serve to heighten their level of anxiety.  :ohnoez:

Of course, although most of us here laugh about the value of a CVA sticker, I would have to honestly say that recent auction results for various books would indicate there might be some actual value behind having this sticker on a slabbed book.  hm

I am positive next visit I make to the thread, all the AF15 owners (especially those in higher grades) will certainly have negative comments to make on the CC copy to justify the low sale. :wink:

10 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I am positive next visit I make to the thread, all the AF15 owners (especially those in higher grades) will certainly have negative comments to make on the CC copy to justify the low sale. :wink:

Sure enough lol

4 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Yes, an impressive price but I can almost assure you if a nicer 8.0 comes up it will hit closer to the 261k target, and may surpass it. I believe the tanning and miswrap impacted the hammer. 2c

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Sure enough lol

5 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Yes, an impressive price but I can almost assure you if a nicer 8.0 comes up it will hit closer to the 261k target, and may surpass it. I believe the tanning and miswrap impacted the hammer. 2c

Maybe we need to have a sticker that signifies the opposite of the CVA sticker to justify why books sell below what other copies in equivalent grades have sold for previously.  hm

Or is it possible with so many equivalent or similar graded copies of certain books hitting the auction blocks and CGC ensuring that the CPR game is running at warp speed, bidders might be paying less attention to the grades as compared to the past and starting to look more at the underlying book itself?  (thumbsu

Dean, I see only a small difference between last night's CC AF15 and the CL AF15 but not enough to justify an almost 70K gap in hammer price between the two.

There can't be that many buyers at that level, and with less potential buyers in that pool with every 8.0 sale the more it will adversely affect price imo.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Dean, I see only a small difference between last night's CC AF15 and the CL AF15 but not enough to justify an almost 70K gap in hammer price between the two.

There can't be that many buyers at that level, and with less potential buyers in that pool with every 8.0 sale the more it will adversely affect price imo.

Go back to the AF15 thread, these guys are GA guys.. 

3 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Go back to the AF15 thread, these guys are GA guys.. 

You don't count as a potential buyer. You already own an AF15 8.0 :wink: 1 buyer less in that pool.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, peewee22 said:

But if I was still in the AF hunt, I woulda passed on the CC 8.0. But I'm super picky. (thumbsu

Yes you are but judging by the copy you own I can understand why.

Maybe you're right. Maybe your copy does trump both the CC and CL copies. Although between the two frankly the difference is not all that great. Except final hammer price.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

As I had alluded to in my comments, like any book, whether it be GA or SA, in a rapidly rising market like what we have gone through recently, books normally tend to overshoot a bit.  This is usually followed by a slight downward period where the valuation of the book tends to consolidate before making its next movement upwards.  During this consolidation period, the marketplace also generally cycles through to other sectors at the same time which is actually a positive sign for the strength of the overall market as a whole.  (thumbsu

This is actually a healthy sign for any type of market, but I guess it usually depends on the length of time for this consolidation period.  :taptaptap:

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

It's all about getting the lowest commission and not having to pay BP, right?

Are you arguing that books on HA do better than CC/CL? Maybe, I have no idea. It likely has much more to do with timing than anything. It's a bad time of the year for larger books, say in excess of $5K. It's holiday time.

8 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

Are you arguing that books on HA do better than CC/CL? Maybe, I have no idea. It likely has much more to do with timing than anything. It's a bad time of the year for larger books, say in excess of $5K. It's holiday time.

I personally believe that each one of these 3 major comic book auction sites have their own particular niche customers and it's really up to the consignors to do a bit of due diligence beforehand in terms of selecting the right auction house for specific books within their collection if they want to maximize their returns.  hm

And yes, December is definitely NOT the best of times to be auctioning off your books. (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I personally believe that each one of these 3 major comic book auction sites have their own particular niche customers and it's really up to the consignors to do a bit of due diligence beforehand in terms of selecting the right auction house for specific books within their collection if they want to maximize their returns.  hm

And yes, December is definitely NOT the best of times to be auctioning off your books. (thumbsu

Are consignors able to say when they want their books auctioned?

3 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Are consignors able to say when they want their books auctioned?

Of course they can, since the books belong to the consignors and auction sites are more than willing to bend to the wishes to the consignors just in order to get their books.  

I even personally know of one consignor who had all of his books slabbed back at the end of 2015 and then simply left them all with Heritage to auction off over the following 3 years, based upon his auction schedule that he wanted.  So yes, it's always left to the discretion of the consignors.  (thumbsu