• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,123 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Red84 said:

I'm getting hammered on almost every book I consigned. :censored:

Alcohol is not a solution (tsk)

7 hours ago, MasterChief said:

That very same book sold in its original holder (old label) for $10, 350 on July 4, 2002 via Heritage.

With its current sale (same serial number, 2nd generation label) at $107,000, the realized gain is a whopping 933.82%. :whatthe:

3177622%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

Unfortunately, for the initial buyer of this book way back in 2002, he made the mistake of selling the book off way too soon instead of holding onto it.  doh!

In fact, it would appear that he actually lost money on his purchase as it was auctioned off by HA in February of 2005 for only $10,925 when it was marketed as coming from the Northern Lights Collection:  :cry:

:https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-29-dc-1939-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-to-white-pages-batman-appeared-on-a-comic-book-cover-for-only-the-s/a/815-1106.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Looks like the this buyer was at aleast able to make some money from the books as it was subsequently auctioned off again by HA in May of 2008 for $19,120:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-29-dc-1939-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-to-white-pages/a/828-41130.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Interesting to note that this time, Heritage did not bothered to include the Northern Lights Collection provenance, but stated in their auction description that they had previously sold this copy for $10,925 the last time they had auctioned it.  (thumbsu

Not sure if it was resold once again prior to this most recent $107K sale on another auction site, but nice to know that they kept the same label (i.e. serial number) on the book throughout all these years which means that it has only gone through the reholdering process.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

17 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
On 12/12/2019 at 4:23 AM, tth2 said:

The Mystery Men 5 almost doubled what it sold for in the Berk auction, which I already thought was a very strong price. 

Truly this market is not for the likes of me anymore. :frown:

As a devout fan of the early Fox books, I think the Mystery Men 5 would have sold better in the Berk auction if it hadn't been surrounded by so many other key Mystery Men books that collectors place a higher premium on, such as #1, #3, and #10 (not to mention all the other Fox titles that were up for auction at that time). Just not enough money to spread around. The consigner of the MM5 on ComicConnect got a nice price because it stood out without any other competition. Sadly I wasn't the consigner! lol

^^

Yes, in an auction like the one for the Jon Berk collection, it is easy for the bidders to simply pass over a book when they feel it is starting to get a bit high becuase there are tens and possibly even hundreds of other books on their want list that they can also chased after.  Probably the only reason why I was able to snapped up a few of the Centaurs and Fox books which I did because I am quite sure that they would have finished beyond my reach at higher price points in a regular CC Event Auction.  :)  :takeit:

Being a life long collector of comic books, I believe Jon probably felt this was the easiest way for him to sell his collection and give him peace of mind at the same time, as opposed to torturously dragging it out to over multiple auctions.  He probably also felt that this was probably the mst effective way to pass his books to as many of the next generation of collectors as possible which was supposedly one of his goals.  :applause:

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, for the initial buyer of this book way back in 2002, he made the mistake of selling the book off way too soon instead of holding onto it.  doh!

In fact, it would appear that he actually lost money on his purchase as it was auctioned off by HA in February of 2005 for only $10,925 when it was marketed as coming from the Northern Lights Collection:  :cry:

:https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-29-dc-1939-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-to-white-pages-batman-appeared-on-a-comic-book-cover-for-only-the-s/a/815-1106.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Looks like the this buyer was at aleast able to make some money from the books as it was subsequently auctioned off again by HA in May of 2008 for $19,120:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-29-dc-1939-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-to-white-pages/a/828-41130.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Interesting to note that this time, Heritage did not bothered to include the Northern Lights Collection provenance, but stated in their auction description that they had previously sold this copy for $10,925 the last time they had auctioned it.  (thumbsu

Not sure if it was resold once again prior to this most recent $107K sale on another auction site, but nice to know that they kept the same label (i.e. serial number) on the book throughout all these years which means that it has only gone through the reholdering process.  :applause:

And the moral of this story is: "In the short-term, certified comic book collecting is a popularity contest. In the long-term it is a weighing machine."

BTW, you're getting pretty good at the detective work.  :golfclap:

17 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:
On 12/12/2019 at 9:45 AM, RareHighGrade said:

$107K for the 5.0 Tec 29 seems like a very strong result, but it's one of the nicest 5.0's I've ever seen.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=854565

Gorgeous book.

And yet it doesn't seem to look quite as bright and sharp in the original HA scan here, as posted by Masterchief:

3177622%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

I guess this was back in 2002 when Heritage was first starting up with comic books and probably couldn' t afford the high power spotlights that they have nowadays.  lol

52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess this was back in 2002 when Heritage was first starting up with comic books and probably couldn' t afford the high power spotlights that they have nowadays.  

From my vantage point, the original 2002 Heritage auction back cover scan gives a pretty good indication of what this book may look like in hand. The brown page color and other defects are clearly visible and defined. Conversely, the third Heritage back cover scan, as well as the recent CC back cover scan, appear to be juiced white, thereby minimizing, for the most part, those defects.

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Surprised that none of the owners within that time frame tried to re-grade the book in hopes it will grade higher. It definitely looks better than a 5.0 IMO. I expect the new owner to have the book re-graded and to have a new label #. Let's see if I'm right 

The book appears to have not seen the treatment during the certification age. What are the chances it was acquired for the purposes of manipulation, thus the GPA record price?  hm

To me it's a no brainer to have it re-graded. Compare this copy to the other 5.0 copy that sold fairly recently with the sliver piece missing bottom right edge. Times have changed with CGC's grading from where it was to what it is now.

Not sure if this is a record price for a 5.0. I seriously thought it would sell higher.

28 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Not sure if this is a record price for a 5.0. I seriously thought it would sell higher.

Perhaps I'm not using the reworked GPA interface correctly, but the last recorded sale I see for a 5.0 is $95,600 in May of 2018. (shrug)

6 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Perhaps I'm not using the reworked GPA interface correctly, but the last recorded sale I see for a 5.0 is $95,600 in May of 2018. (shrug)

GPA doesnt record all data. Sometimes GA may be limited. GPA is best for SA and newer. A lot of the higher profiled books sell privately. 

28 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
36 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

GPA doesnt record all data. Sometimes GA may be limited. GPA is best for SA and newer. A lot of the higher profiled books sell privately. 

Yup, I get that. My original comment was specifically in reference to a "GPA record price", not all sales public or private. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Well, if the Heritage archives and CC's Sold Items listings are accurate, this would appear to be a record price for ANY copy of 'Tec 29 in an open public market sale.  (thumbsu

On a PPP (i.e. price per point) basis, it even came close to the CGC 3.0 graded copy that sold for $66,010 in a CC auction back in March of 2017:

det1.13876a.jpg

I am quite sure if either the CGC 7.5 graded copy that sold at CC for $90,555 back in 2015/16 or the CGC 7.5 graded Billy Wright copy that sold at Heritage for $65,725 back in November of 2012 should be able to hit 6-figures by now if they ever came back into the public marketplace.  Interesting to note that the original purchaser of the BW copy must have lost big money on his copy as it was purchased for $83,650 on Heritage a few short months earlier back in February of 2012 during the initial auctioning of the Billy Wright Collection when it was listed as only a lower graded CGC 7.0 F/VF copy.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I am quite sure if either the CGC 7.5 graded copy that sold at CC for $90,555 back in 2015/16 or the CGC 7.5 graded Billy Wright copy that sold at Heritage for $65,725 back in November of 2012 should be able to hit 6-figures by now if they ever came back into the public marketplace. 

I'm guessing 140-150K or thereabouts.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The 29 3.0 listed last week on CC/CL got pulled. If it belongs to a boardie, feel free to send me a PM.

Any idea if this was the same copy that sold for $66K on CC back in 2017 or if it looked as nice as that copy particular copy?  hm

Best of luck to you in being able to track it down and locking it into your personal collection.  :wishluck:

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if this was the same copy that sold for $66K on CC back in 2017 or if it looked as nice as that copy particular copy?

Looked about as nice, not the same copy.

det1.17760a.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I am quite sure if either the CGC 7.5 graded copy that sold at CC for $90,555 back in 2015/16 or the CGC 7.5 graded Billy Wright copy that sold at Heritage for $65,725 back in November of 2012 should be able to hit 6-figures by now if they ever came back into the public marketplace. 

I'm guessing 150K or thereabouts.

Yes, it would not be a surprise to me at all, especially considering that the pre-Robin 'Tec market was the first part of the GA market to catch fire a few years ago and still seems to be buring pretty brightly even in today's red hot marketplace.  (thumbsu