• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Interesting to note that the original purchaser of the BW copy must have lost big money on his copy as it was purchased for $83,650 on Heritage a few short months earlier back in February of 2012 during the initial auctioning of the Billy Wright Collection when it was listed as only a lower graded CGC 7.0 F/VF copy.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

This happened with several Billy Wright books.

21 hours ago, Red84 said:

I'm getting hammered on almost every book I consigned. :censored:

I consigned an extensively restored GA mega-key to this auction. It hammered for 45% of what I had paid for it in 2017 (I purchased it via CC).

...Yes, a 55% loss. Perhaps Extended Restoration has continued to its fall out of favor in the past two years, but even so, I was pretty shocked. I would definitely not consign in a December auction, again.

18 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Interesting to note that the original purchaser of the BW copy must have lost big money on his copy as it was purchased for $83,650 on Heritage a few short months earlier back in February of 2012 during the initial auctioning of the Billy Wright Collection when it was listed as only a lower graded CGC 7.0 F/VF copy.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

(thumbsu  It's interesting to note that the Billy Wright copy of DC#29 was originally a 7.0. It was acquired along with at least 9 other BW copies at the same auction which were then apparently CPRed 3 months later (same submission group) and liquidated in less than a year after purchase (some as soon as three months after the initial auction). Whoever was behind it lost big $$$ for this particular flipping episode as these particular 9 books were acquired for $231,650 then liquidated for $190,602, a net loss of $41,048.  :facepalm: 

Edited by MasterChief
Typo

17 minutes ago, jabats said:
19 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

IGB copy. Your first mistake. Sorry mate.

If I am remembering correctly, I believe I was told it was not IGB when I purchased it

hm

High grade restored : check

Extensive everything: check

CBCS : check

All the signs are there. Even if it really wasn't, hard to convince buyers otherwise.

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Whoever was behind it lost big $$$ for this particular flipping episode as these particular 9 books were acquired for $231,650 then liquidated for $190,602, a net loss of $41,047.50.  :facepalm:

no sympathy whatsoever so all I can say is

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

59 minutes ago, MasterChief said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

(thumbsu  It's interesting to note that the Billy Wright copy of DC#29 was originally a 7.0. It was acquired along with at least 9 other BW copies at the same auction which were then apparently CPRed 3 months later (same submission group) and liquidated in less than a year after purchase (some as soon as three months after the initial auction). Whoever was behind it lost big $$$ for this particular flipping episode as these particular 9 books were acquired for $231,650 then liquidated for $190,602, a net loss of $41,048.  :facepalm: 

Well, it looks like his mistake was going through all of that time consuming and tedious work involved with the whole CPR game facilitated by CGC.   doh!

He simply should have gotten a hold of Anthony Chiofalo who probably would have paid him outrageous money for his books similar to this BW copy of All-Star #3:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The winner of this Billy Wright book here paid only $49,293.75 for the book and ended up receiving $200,000 for it only a short week later through the Make An Offer To Owner feature that they have on the Heritage website.   :whatthe:   :flipbait:

Definitely virtually impossible to beat a return of over 300% in only a week's time anywhere else.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like his mistake was going through all of that time consuming and tedious work involved with the whole CPR game facilitated by CGC.   doh!

He simply should have gotten a hold of Anthony Chiofalo who probably would have paid him outrageous money for his books similar to this BW copy of All-Star #3:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The winner of this Billy Wright book here paid only $49,293.75 for the book and ended up receiving $200,000 for it only a short week later through the Make An Offer To Owner feature that they have on the Heritage website.   :whatthe:   :flipbait:

Definitely virtually impossible to beat a return of over 300% in only a week's time anywhere else.  :takeit:

Whaaa!?!? :whatthe:

22 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
31 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I think you are correct !

I have asked CGC to remove the first serial # from the census in the CGC Registry thread.

Well, looks like this was another CPR or simply a straight resubmit that didn't turn out so well for the initial owner of the book then.  hm  doh!

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
33 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
42 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I think you are correct !

I have asked CGC to remove the first serial # from the census in the CGC Registry thread.

Well, looks like this was another CPR or simply a straight resubmit that didn't turn out so well for the initial owner of the book then.  hm  doh!

The book was pulled from CC/CL because owner sold privately.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Being a life long collector of comic books, I believe Jon probably felt this was the easiest way for him to sell his collection and give him peace of mind at the same time, as opposed to torturously dragging it out to over multiple auctions.  He probably also felt that this was probably the mst effective way to pass his books to as many of the next generation of collectors as possible which was supposedly one of his goals.  

I think you are right, after all, that is how I was able to afford Jon's copy of Tec 27...

Unfortunately it is only the Oreo reprint...but I have one of his books! :)

2 hours ago, jabats said:

I consigned an extensively restored GA mega-key to this auction. It hammered for 45% of what I had paid for it in 2017 (I purchased it via CC).

...Yes, a 55% loss. Perhaps Extended Restoration has continued to its fall out of favor in the past two years, but even so, I was pretty shocked. I would definitely not consign in a December auction, again.

That’s awful. Although my books were a lot smaller, all of my captain marvel and whiz books sold below gpa. The Whiz 19 cgc 8.5 hurt the most. Purchased on HA for $1800 and it sold last night for $1,100.