• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like his mistake was going through all of that time consuming and tedious work involved with the whole CPR game facilitated by CGC.   doh!

He simply should have gotten a hold of Anthony Chiofalo who probably would have paid him outrageous money for his books similar to this BW copy of All-Star #3:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The winner of this Billy Wright book here paid only $49,293.75 for the book and ended up receiving $200,000 for it only a short week later through the Make An Offer To Owner feature that they have on the Heritage website.   :whatthe:   :flipbait:

Definitely virtually impossible to beat a return of over 300% in only a week's time anywhere else.  :takeit:

Yeah and if you look down it resold August of this year for $72,000.00. Massive loss for the guy who paid $200K. Loser.

Edited by comicnoir

32 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like his mistake was going through all of that time consuming and tedious work involved with the whole CPR game facilitated by CGC.   doh!

He simply should have gotten a hold of Anthony Chiofalo who probably would have paid him outrageous money for his books similar to this BW copy of All-Star #3:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The winner of this Billy Wright book here paid only $49,293.75 for the book and ended up receiving $200,000 for it only a short week later through the Make An Offer To Owner feature that they have on the Heritage website.   :whatthe:   :flipbait:

Definitely virtually impossible to beat a return of over 300% in only a week's time anywhere else.  :takeit:

Yeah and if you look down it resold August of this year for $72,000.00. Massive loss for the guy who paid $200K. Loser.

Uh-hu, total loser. Disbarred lawyer, Anthony Chiofalo, embezzled over $9M from his employer and used the stolen money to buy comic books and other collectibles. Spent it all like a drunken sailor. He plead guilty and was sentenced to 40 years. :sumo:   

1 minute ago, MasterChief said:

Uh-hu, total loser. Disbarred lawyer, Anthony Chiofalo, embezzled over $9M from his employer and used the stolen money to buy comic books and other collectibles. Spent it all like a drunken sailor. He plead guilty and was sentenced to 40 years. :sumo:   

wow ! :whatthe:

26 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
28 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

wow ! :whatthe:

Well, it's an old story that's been talked about here many times before in the past and ended up ensnaring not only the embezzler.  The books were so enticing that they also ensnared 2 of the investigators in the end who were brought in to help the DA and the other authorities with the case:

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano

I imagine the Tandano Corporation was nowhere close to recovering all of the $9.3M that they had lost from this whole fiasco.  :frown:  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, jabats said:

I consigned an extensively restored GA mega-key to this auction. It hammered for 45% of what I had paid for it in 2017 (I purchased it via CC).

...Yes, a 55% loss. Perhaps Extended Restoration has continued to its fall out of favor in the past two years, but even so, I was pretty shocked. I would definitely not consign in a December auction, again.

Very sorry to hear! I bid on the book to about 38k but assumed it was an IGB job. Sadly I’ve also auctioned books in December and have lost my shirt. It’s not the best time to sell with the holidays.

3 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
On 12/11/2019 at 6:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Wow, it looks like there's a ton of extended bids being thrown in there on some of those Planet books right now.  :whatthe:  :flipbait:

Did you by chance keep a record of the hammer prices on those? Unfortunately I forgot to watch them!:foryou:

Not sure why you would have to watch them in order to get the final results?  ???

Just simply go back to your email box and open up the email message that CC had sent to you back on November 25th which has links to all of the individual auction lots for Session 3 2/2 (Ghost-Rider to Shield-Wizard) and you'll have the final hammer prices for all of the Planets right there.  :gossip:  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, MasterChief said:

Yes I remember this scandal now. 40 years for a sun tanned All Star 3.

3 hours ago, Red84 said:

That’s awful. Although my books were a lot smaller, all of my captain marvel and whiz books sold below gpa. The Whiz 19 cgc 8.5 hurt the most. Purchased on HA for $1800 and it sold last night for $1,100. 

Although it's definitely sad to see results like these, this is another indication that the speculating and flipping of comic books in an attempt to make fast money is certainly nothing more than a crapshoot, and certainly made harder when the following factors are also in play:

1)  Trying to make money on a current low demand publisher like Fawcett and out of favor title/character like Whiz (i.e. Captain Marvel) is definitely not the best avenue to be taking;

2)  If you do, a holding period of less than 1 short year is almost assuredely guaranteed to be a money loser for you; and

3)  Especially if you had over paid for the book in the first place back in November of 2018, relative to recent sales at the time.

Looks like the Heritage archives indicates that you had paid $1,680 for your copy just before Christmas of last year.  This would seem to be on the high side for a relatively not so hot book , especially since an equivalent CGC graded copy with the exact same PQ was able to fetch only $1,195 in a Heritage Auction the year before that.  (shrug)

And if you was thinking about the last CC auction result for this particular book, I guess you should have gotten the book regraded by the other guys across the street.  Especially since CC was able to get $2,877 for a nicer looking equivalent graded copy of this book graded by the other guys back in December of 2016.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Well, either that or it might have been irrational movie hype at that particular time. hm  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Although it's definitely sad to see results like these, this is another indication that the speculating and flipping of comic books in an attempt to make fast money is certainly nothing more than a crapshoot, and certainly made harder when the following factors are also in play:

1)  Trying to make money on a current low demand publisher like Fawcett and out of favor title/character like Whiz (i.e. Captain Marvel) is definitely not the best avenue to be taking;

2)  If you do, a holding period of less than 1 short year is almost assuredely guaranteed to be a money loser for you; and

3)  Especially if you had over paid for the book in the first place back in November of 2018, relative to recent sales at the time.

Looks like the Heritage archives indicates that you had paid $1,680 for your copy just before Christmas of last year.  This would seem to be on the high side for a relatively not so hot book , especially since an equivalent CGC graded copy with the exact same PQ was able to fetch only $1,195 in a Heritage Auction the year before that.  (shrug)

And if you was thinking about the last CC auction result for this particular book, I guess you should have gotten the book regraded by the other guys across the street.  Especially since CC was able to get $2,877 for a nicer looking equivalent graded copy of this book graded by the other guys back in December of 2016.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Well, either that or it might have been irrational movie hype at that particular time. hm  :screwy:

I am not proud to say it but I watched the entire Shazam movie and all I can say is PeeYew.

6 hours ago, jabats said:

I consigned an extensively restored GA mega-key to this auction. It hammered for 45% of what I had paid for it in 2017 (I purchased it via CC).

...Yes, a 55% loss. Perhaps Extended Restoration has continued to its fall out of favor in the past two years, but even so, I was pretty shocked. I would definitely not consign in a December auction, again.

Yikes! :eek:

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
6 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Whoever was behind it lost big $$$ for this particular flipping episode as these particular 9 books were acquired for $231,650 then liquidated for $190,602, a net loss of $41,047.50.  :facepalm:

no sympathy whatsoever so all I can say is

maxresdefault.jpg

lol +1000

Sometimes I DO love this hobby.

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
12 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Sometimes I DO love this hobby.

:whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe: ..............

Is this going to be your new tagline going forward?  lol

On those rare occasions when the people who've ruined this hobby get taken to the cleaners, yes! 

But unfortunately, those occasions are few and far between.

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

now after some checking, that looks a lot like this

det1.10337a.jpg

Hey Peter;

Are you sure it wasn't this rather not quite as appealing looking copy since it came in with the same CGC 3.5 graded label:  :p  lol

RAD6AE872019125_14277.jpg

Boy, talk about grading consistency or lack thereof in this particular case here.  :facepalm:

Maybe this is when we DO need to have CVA or QES, or whatever they are called.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure why you would have to watch them in order to get the final results?  ???

Just simply go back to your email box and open up the email message that CC had sent to you back on November 25th which has links to all of the individual auction lots for Session 3 2/2 (Ghost-Rider to Shield-Wizard) and you'll have the final hammer prices for all of the Planets right there.  :gossip:  (thumbsu

I didn't get one unfortunately!

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Peter;

Are you sure it wasn't this rather not quite as appealing looking copy since it came in with the same CGC 3.5 graded label:  :p  lol

RAD6AE872019125_14277.jpg

Boy, talk about grading consistency or lack thereof in this particular case here.  :facepalm:

Maybe this is when we DO need to have CVA or QES, or whatever they are called.  (thumbsu

Catastrofic lack of consistency.

pretty scary actually ...

12 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Very sorry to hear! I bid on the book to about 38k but assumed it was an IGB job. Sadly I’ve also auctioned books in December and have lost my shirt. It’s not the best time to sell with the holidays.

What is the story with igb? I have heard the name but don’t know the backstory of the controversy