• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if the Heritage archives and CC's Sold Items listings are accurate, this would appear to be a record price for ANY copy of 'Tec 29 in an open public market sale.  (thumbsu

On a PPP (i.e. price per point) basis, it even came close to the CGC 3.0 graded copy that sold for $66,010 in a CC auction back in March of 2017

det1.13876a.jpg

I’ve applied for a trademark for ppp or price per point so kindly send me $1 for using without my permission please

1 hour ago, mrd160 said:

What is the story with igb? I have heard the name but don’t know the backstory of the controversy 

The Meyers. Husband and wife duo that do pro restoration work. But go waaaay overboard. Restoration on steroids. More like recreation than restoration.

CGC at one time refused to grade their garbage work, so CBCS welcomed them with open arms. They got into a legal battle with CGC. There is a thread about it in Comics General.

Their stuff is easy to spot. Super high grade restored GA and SA, CBCS graded, label notes usually indicate:

Extensive [fill in the blank]

Example: before and after

After:

sup1.13003a.jpg

Before:

saw-dust-1542734438.jpeg?crop=1xw:1xh;ce

Et voila.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, dem1138 said:
15 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

The book was pulled from CC/CL because owner sold privately.

Asking was 75k on CL right?  Seemed aggressive when I saw it but apparently not. 

On both CC and CL but doubt sale price was asking price. Maybe if he had left it alone as a 3.5

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

The Meyers. Husband and wife duo that do pro restoration work. But go waaaay overboard. Restoration on steroids. More like recreation than restoration.

CGC at one time refused to grade their garbage work, so CBCS welcomed them with open arms. They got into a legal battle with CGC. There is a thread about it in Comics General.

Their stuff is easy to spot. Super high grade restored GA and SA, CBCS graded, label notes usually indicate:

Extensive [fill in the blank]

Example: before and after

After:

sup1.13003a.jpg

Before:

saw-dust-1542734438.jpeg?crop=1xw:1xh;ce

Et voila.

lol

8 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure why you would have to watch them in order to get the final results?  ???

Just simply go back to your email box and open up the email message that CC had sent to you back on November 25th which has links to all of the individual auction lots for Session 3 2/2 (Ghost-Rider to Shield-Wizard) and you'll have the final hammer prices for all of the Planets right there.  :gossip:  (thumbsu

I didn't get one unfortunately!

Well then, I believe all you have to do is to go to either their Metro or CC and sign up for an account or something like that to receive their electronic "junk" mail.  :gossip:

Definitely nowhere near the amount of junk mail you receive from the other auction houses like CL or Heritage which is usually quite a few times a week.  With Metro or CC, it's usually only during their monthly and Event auction notifications (which you do want) plus probably just one monthly newsletter if they get around doing it.  (thumbsu

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well then, I believe all you have to do is to go to either their Metro or CC and sign up for an account or something like that to receive their electronic "junk" mail.  :gossip:

Definitely nowhere near the amount of junk mail you receive from the other auction houses like CL or Heritage which is usually quite a few times a week.  With Metro or CC, it's usually only during their monthly and Event auction notifications (which you do want) plus probably just one monthly newsletter if they get around doing it.  (thumbsu

Yes, I've had an account with them for many  years.

7 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:
26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I've had an account with them for many  years.

Your name might have simply fallen off their electronic mailing list after an extended period of time.  :gossip:

This is apparently what happened to me around the Spring of this year when I noticed that I was not receiving my Event Auction notifications from them.  I called them up and the girl said that my account was active, but that she would simply delete it and put it back in again (kind of like a reboot I guess) and see if that would fix the issue or not.  It did.  (thumbsu

20 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Did you by chance keep a record of the hammer prices on those? Unfortunately I forgot to watch them!:foryou:

Of the Planets I was watching, the prices were as follows:

#18 in 9.4 $14,000

#18 in 6.5 $4550

#44 in 9.6 $3250

#50 on 9.6 $3600

#55 in 7.5 $836

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
6 hours ago, mrd160 said:

What is the story with igb? I have heard the name but don’t know the backstory of the controversy 

Actually, the best thread to get the whole story on this fight between the two parties is this one here on the GA boards:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/381951-theres-a-restored-94-tec-33-blowing-up-on-ebay/page/25/?tab=comments#comment-8958785

A massive thread that just came out after the Christmas of 2015 and it seem more like a case of "he said, she said" when you are given a window to view all of the dirty laundry that comes with a divorce or business breakup.  :p

After all, although we always seem to focus on the Meyers husband and wife team whenever we talk about the bad doings with IGB, it shouldn't be forgotten that the whole thing started out as a happy threesome.  If you read through the whole thread here, it's quite obvious that Matt and CGC were also quite involved with developing the process through the initial and possibly middle stages.  Unfortunately, for both parties involved, there was a breakdown somewhere along the line in this business relationship and they both went their own separate ways.  As par for the course with these types of breakups, each side coming up with completely different and oftentimes conflicting reasons for the eventual breakup.  Hard to say who to believe, but in cases like this, there is usually a bit of truth and lies on both sides.  (shrug)

My bet is that if the process had come to a successful conclusion with Matt and CGC still having their hands in it at the end, we would not be saying the same things about these books.  In fact, I think both CGC and CCS would be spinning the story about how great these books are and would have already included this process as another one of their additional revenue streams by now.  And no doubt, we would also have people lining up to get their books done up and the buzz on the boards about these books would not be slanted as much as they are right now.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

29 minutes ago, Tim Weaver said:

Of the Planets I was watching, the prices were as follows:

#18 in 9.4 $14,000

#18 in 6.5 $4550

#44 in 9.6 $3250

#50 on 9.6 $3600

#55 in 7.5 $836

Most helpful, thanks Tim! Eye appeal would seem to be the defining characteristic, given those and other recent results.

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Your name might have simply fallen off their electronic mailing list after an extended period of time.  :gossip:

This is apparently what happened to me around the Spring of this year when I noticed that I was not receiving my Event Auction notifications from them.  I called them up and the girl said that my account was active, but that she would simply delete it and put it back in again (kind of like a reboot I guess) and see if that would fix the issue or not.  It did.  (thumbsu

Many thanks, Lou!

8 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Many thanks, Lou!

You are most welcome!!!  (thumbsu

As for the rest of the other Planets that Tim did not already mentioned, they are as follows:

#36 for $1,000 in CGC 6.0;

#41 for $1,000 in the other guy's 8.5 grade;

#45 for only $114 in CGC 3.5; and

#70 for a whopping $5,200 in CGC 9.0.

18 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Very sorry to hear! I bid on the book to about 38k but assumed it was an IGB job. Sadly I’ve also auctioned books in December and have lost my shirt. It’s not the best time to sell with the holidays.

I am not looking for a superman 1 but I just happened to log in to CC's auction as the restored copies were coming up and I was surprised to see one sitting at 25K, so I watched, just for curiosity's sake, to see the last minute bids... and there weren't any.   You wouldn't have to look hard to see examples where coverless copies sol;d off in parts amounted to more than the price of that complete copy restored with a cover.  And it reminded me of when I'd had to sell a Supe 1 some years back to pay an unexpected bill.  The book had masking tape on it and the buyer said that meant it was "restored" and so it could only be xx dollars.  I countered that the "restoration" didn't affect the grade and could almost certainly be removed, etc but the price ended up at a number that pretty much presumed it had been heavily restored.  In the years since I saw copies with similar structure and eye appeal (which were not called restored) rocket in price and wondered if I closely examined my old scans if I would find that my "restored" book was now in a blue label and selling for 100K+ more than I'd gotten.   Then I saw this book going for what seemed like prices from 10 years ago and in the few seconds I had to think about it I was trying to figure out what was likely done to the book.   Not whether it was IGB or "extensive" or whatever but. What. The. Eff. Was. Actually. Done, to. The. Book.   For all I could tell from the listing and the label it could have been anything from a reconstructed spine on a book that looked VGish in mylar to a book with massive pieces missing and virtually recreated.  The stigmatization and the ambiguity, coupled with sometimes irrational market swings, has created opportunities for people to buy books as "desecrated" and resell them for sick multiples, but I think in the long run it would be best for all, including those who benefit short-term from gaming the system. if the system provided more info and less stigmatization.    Until then, I can easily imagine the buyers of that 25K Supe 1 either damaging the book heavily to get a 'better' label or even tearing the books into pieces to sell off the parts.   And that seems just as regrettable as taking a nicely presenting but worn book and ruining it to make it minty looking.  

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Peter;

Are you sure it wasn't this rather not quite as appealing looking copy since it came in with the same CGC 3.5 graded label:  :p  lol

RAD6AE872019125_14277.jpg

Boy, talk about grading consistency or lack thereof in this particular case here.  :facepalm:

Maybe this is when we DO need to have CVA or QES, or whatever they are called.  (thumbsu

But seriously, returning to a recent theme in this thread, how in the world does a book with a married back cover receive a “conserved” grade? Not to mention, as in the fugly 3.5 above, when it also includes pieces added to cover and interior, tear seals, cover reinforced, etc.??? :sick:

12 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

But seriously, returning to a recent theme in this thread, how in the world does a book with a married back cover receive a “conserved” grade? Not to mention, as in the fugly 3.5 above, when it also includes pieces added to cover and interior, tear seals, cover reinforced, etc.??? :sick:

+1

In full agreement with you here.  (thumbsu

From my own personal point of view, once you get into adding things such as a married cover or pieces added, you've crossed well beyond the restoration threshold line.  :p

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

In full agreement with you here.  (thumbsu

From my own personal point of view, once you get into adding things such as a married cover or pieces added, you've crossed well beyond the restoration threshold line.  :p

Well, someone needs to write a strongly worded letter to whomever is in charge! :sumo: