• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,108 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
38 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

But seriously, returning to a recent theme in this thread, how in the world does a book with a married back cover receive a “conserved” grade? Not to mention, as in the fugly 3.5 above, when it also includes pieces added to cover and interior, tear seals, cover reinforced, etc.??? :sick:

+1

In full agreement with you here.  (thumbsu

From my own personal point of view, once you get into adding things such as a married cover or pieces added, you've crossed well beyond the restoration threshold line.  :p

+2

C'mon CGC. Seriously !? Married bc "Conserved" :facepalm: What's next ? Trim ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
19 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Nicely done! :applause:

So much of this stuff in the hobby, spanning all the years. Disgrace.

Edited 19 hours ago by Gotham Kid

So true. I've catalogued hundreds of manufactured books whose original certification numbers remain active within the CGC database. It would take weeks to collate and post the info like you did.  :sick:

4 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

+2

C'mon CGC. Seriously !? Married bc "Conserved" :facepalm: What's next ? Trim ?

Apparently, they've also included leaf casting as part of the Conserved category. 

Not entirely sure what this procedure is, but based upon what I remember reading, it definitely appears to be a relatively invasive procedure.  (shrug)

20 hours ago, tth2 said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:
20 hours ago, tth2 said:

Sometimes I DO love this hobby.

:whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe: ..............

Is this going to be your new tagline going forward?  lol

On those rare occasions when the people who've ruined this hobby get taken to the cleaners, yes! 

But unfortunately, those occasions are few and far between.

C'mon, Tim. Your moral compass is wound too tight. Live a little – they're just funny books.  :p

Edited by MasterChief

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, the best thread to get the whole story on this fight between the two parties is this one here on the GA boards:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/381951-theres-a-restored-94-tec-33-blowing-up-on-ebay/page/25/?tab=comments#comment-8958785

A massive thread that just came out after the Christmas of 2015 and it seem more like a case of "he said, she said" when you are given a window to view all of the dirty laundry that comes with a divorce or business breakup.  :p

After all, although we always seem to focus on the Meyers husband and wife team whenever we talk about the bad doings with IGB, it shouldn't be forgotten that the whole thing started out as a happy threesome.  If you read through the whole thread here, it's quite obvious that Matt and CGC were also quite involved with developing the process through the initial and possibly middle stages.  Unfortunately, for both parties involved, there was a breakdown somewhere along the line in this business relationship and they both went their own separate ways.  As par for the course with these types of breakups, each side coming up with completely different and oftentimes conflicting reasons for the eventual breakup.  Hard to say who to believe, but in cases like this, there is usually a bit of truth and lies on both sides.  (shrug)

My bet is that if the process had come to a successful conclusion with Matt and CGC still having their hands in it at the end, we would not be saying the same things about these books.  In fact, I think both CGC and CCS would be spinning the story about how great these books are and would have already included this process as another one of their additional revenue streams by now.  And no doubt, we would also have people lining up to get their books done up and the buzz on the boards about these books would not be slanted as much as they are right now.  

Your conclusion is very perceptive.   :golfclap:

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Apparently, they've also included leaf casting as part of the Conserved category. 

Not entirely sure what this procedure is, but based upon what I remember reading, it definitely appears to be a relatively invasive procedure.  (shrug)

As a collector who has favored Conserved books in the past, this would seems a worrying trend to me.

1 hour ago, Tim Weaver said:

Of the Planets I was watching, the prices were as follows:

#18 in 9.4 $14,000

#18 in 6.5 $4550

#44 in 9.6 $3250

#50 on 9.6 $3600

#55 in 7.5 $836

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Most helpful, thanks Tim! Eye appeal would seem to be the defining characteristic, given those and other recent results.

No doubt that color/eye appeal strongly drives the Fiction House market, given so much cover color variability, compared to other publishers. The standout here was the Planet #18, 6.5.

Though note, for some of the high-grade Planets that just sold at the December 2019 CC auction, such as the MH #18 and MH #70, these were flipped, er, consigned, within 12 months of the December 2018 CC Auction where the books were originally sold. No doubt this flipping stuff had a negative impact on the sales prices, especially taking into account the seller's fee. To wit:

Planet #18 MH 9.4 (Dec. 2018): $19,200
Planet #18 MH 9.4 (Dec. 2019): $14,000

Planet #70 MH 9.0 (Dec. 2018): $5,035
Planet #70 MH 9.0 (Dec. 2019): $5,200 (minus 10% seller's fee = $4,680)

Schadenfreude, anyone?

43 minutes ago, MasterChief said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

My bet is that if the process had come to a successful conclusion with Matt and CGC still having their hands in it at the end, we would not be saying the same things about these books.  In fact, I think both CGC and CCS would be spinning the story about how great these books are and would have already included this process as another one of their additional revenue streams by now.  And no doubt, we would also have people lining up to get their books done up and the buzz on the boards about these books would not be slanted as much as they are right now.  

Your conclusion is very perceptive.  

I honestly think these books would NOT have caught on, even if there had been a loving relationship between the Meyers and CGC/CCS.

40 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

No doubt that color/eye appeal strongly drives the Fiction House market, given so much cover color variability, compared to other publishers. The standout here was the Planet #18, 6.5.

Though note, for some of the high-grade Planets that just sold at the December 2019 CC auction, such as the MH #18 and MH #70, these were flipped, er, consigned, within 12 months of the December 2018 CC Auction where the books were originally sold. No doubt this flipping stuff had a negative impact on the sales prices, especially taking into account the seller's fee. To wit:

Planet #18 MH 9.4 (Dec. 2018): $19,200
Planet #18 MH 9.4 (Dec. 2019): $14,000

Planet #70 MH 9.0 (Dec. 2018): $5,035
Planet #70 MH 9.0 (Dec. 2019): $5,200 (minus 10% seller's fee = $4,680)

Schadenfreude, anyone?

Served up cold

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, the best thread to get the whole story on this fight between the two parties is this one here on the GA boards:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/381951-theres-a-restored-94-tec-33-blowing-up-on-ebay/page/25/?tab=comments#comment-8958785

A massive thread that just came out after the Christmas of 2015 and it seem more like a case of "he said, she said" when you are given a window to view all of the dirty laundry that comes with a divorce or business breakup.  :p

After all, although we always seem to focus on the Meyers husband and wife team whenever we talk about the bad doings with IGB, it shouldn't be forgotten that the whole thing started out as a happy threesome.  If you read through the whole thread here, it's quite obvious that Matt and CGC were also quite involved with developing the process through the initial and possibly middle stages.  Unfortunately, for both parties involved, there was a breakdown somewhere along the line in this business relationship and they both went their own separate ways.  As par for the course with these types of breakups, each side coming up with completely different and oftentimes conflicting reasons for the eventual breakup.  Hard to say who to believe, but in cases like this, there is usually a bit of truth and lies on both sides.  (shrug)

My bet is that if the process had come to a successful conclusion with Matt and CGC still having their hands in it at the end, we would not be saying the same things about these books.  In fact, I think both CGC and CCS would be spinning the story about how great these books are and would have already included this process as another one of their additional revenue streams by now.  And no doubt, we would also have people lining up to get their books done up and the buzz on the boards about these books would not be slanted as much as they are right now.  hm

I think you are completely wrong in your assumptions, but I won't spend the time to explain why. 

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It is also completely reversible with no loss of original material. I don't think CGC categorizes leaf casting as conservation but there is definitely an argument to be made that they should.

6 hours ago, MasterChief said:

That conclusion is only perceptive if you choose it to be. It is certainly easy and simple.

6 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Ah, that’s just a bit too cynical for me.  Maybe, maybe if Matt were still on his own it might have played out like you suggest.  But he was already at CGC at the time, and the Company has larger concerns for their grading reputation at stake. Yes he was helpful to them as CGC is with many people in efforts to get more slabbing.  But what the Meyers were doing with the books was way far and beyond restoration methods.  

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I honestly think these books would NOT have caught on, even if there had been a loving relationship between the Meyers and CGC/CCS.

I don't know, there's a very strong sheep mentality amongst collectors when it comes to CGC. 

They say a certain practice is okay, and the market quickly adopts it. 

They say a certain practice is not okay, and the market quickly shuns it.

They give a collection "pedigree" status, and suddenly it's prized by collectors.

They say a collection formerly given "pedigree" status is no longer a recognized pedigree, and suddenly collectors no longer prize the books.

They don't recognize a collection as a "pedigree" even though it should be a pedigree, and immediately everyone ceases to care about its provenance, and the origins of books from the collection quickly get lost as they get dispersed.

Edited by tth2

36 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Then all you've done is to voice an unsubstantiated opinion.

Thanks Capt. Obvious. And so has Dean. 

44 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I don't know, there's a very strong sheep mentality amongst collectors when it comes to CGC. 

Fortunately there are the enlightened lone wolves like yourself to set straight those who blindly follow the collective company mindset. 

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

They say a certain practice is okay, and the market quickly adopts it. 

They say a certain practice is not okay, and the market quickly shuns it.

They give a collection "pedigree" status, and suddenly it's prized by collectors.

They say a collection formerly given "pedigree" status is no longer a recognized pedigree, and suddenly collectors no longer prize the books.

They don't recognize a collection as a "pedigree" even though it should be a pedigree, and immediately everyone ceases to care about its provenance, and the origins of books from the collection quickly get lost as they get dispersed.

You've just written the outline for the executive summary of the Certification Age Report. (worship)