• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,083 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Mike also  says they plan to do a smaller "test" auction of non consignor books before the March auction. 

For all of the consignors who are now probably on pins and needles, this is probably a good move to hopefully remove some of their concerns with what's happening.  If it's non-consignor books, does this mean the Fish will finally be putting up some of his copies of Fantastic 3 up for auction and we can all pick them up for $100 when their new software system comes crashing down because it can't handle 3-figure dollar amounts.  lol  :takeit:

5 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

When I consigned my books, I was told Jan/Feb ...March was not mentioned. 

Not sure why they told you January and February.  If you look back at all of their previous Event Auctions in recent years, the books usally get all loaded up by the end of January, bidding begins in February, and the auction closes in the week towards the middle of March.  :gossip:

6 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm going to ask to have my books held or returned. This is the end of January, March is too close for me.

If I was me, I would probably just ask them to hold the books over until their next Event Auction to ensure all of the bugs are worked out.  Hopefully by then, all of the potential bidders will have had adequate time to figure out their new website and be brave enough to venture back in.  Especially since it also costs money to ship books back and forth.  hm

As for their regularly scheduled March time frame for their first Event Auction of the year, I don't see how they are going to be able to meet this deadline since it's already approaching the end of January.  On the other hand, maybe all of the board members here will finally get their wish and the CC Auction will be limited to only 1 or 2 weeks, instead of their usual long and sleep inducing 4 to 5 weeks.  :bigsmile:  (shrug)

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

For all of the consignors who are now probably on pins and needles, this is probably a good move to hopefully remove some of their concerns with what's happening.  If it's non-consignor books, does this mean the Fish will finally be putting up some of his copies of Fantastic 3 up for auction and we can all pick them up for $100 when their new software system comes crashing down because it can't handle 3-figure dollar amounts.  lol  :takeit:

Not sure why they told you January and February.  If you look back at all of their previous Event Auctions in recent years, the books usally get all loaded up by the end of January, bidding begins in February, and the auction closes in the week towards the middle of March.  :gossip:

If I was me, I would probably just ask them to hold the books over until their next Event Auction to ensure all of the bugs are worked out.  Hopefully by then, all of the potential bidders will have had adequate time to figure out their new website and be brave enough to venture back in.  Especially since it also costs money to ship books back and forth.  hm

As for their regularly scheduled March time frame for their first Event Auction of the year, I don't see how they are going to be able to meet this deadline since it's already approaching the end of January.  On the other hand, maybe all of the board members here will finally get their wish and the CC Auction will be limited to only 1 or 2 weeks, instead of their usual long and sleep inducing 4 to 5 weeks.  :bigsmile:  (shrug)

Well, that's a good point, but since I never paid any attention to their dates before, I had no clue I needed to check the history..  Since they didn't have a definite date, I figured they were a work in progress and ACTUALLY, given the new software...I guess I was right, lol.

I'll see what they say tomorrow, postage is an issue, but a small one in the grand scheme of things...besides it could give me an excuse to drive down to the City..."Honey, you know that show I wanted to see? I just got tickets, but there is this little pit stop I need to make;) "

4 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yeah, was planning on consigning some books to the next CC event auction, but with the problems of the new website, I will hold out for now until everything is 100% functional.

Well, of course there's also the contrarian point of view that most of the other consignors will be thinking the exact same way and also end up pulling their books until the next CC Event Auction.  This then means that you would be pulling your books from a much less competitive auction and placing them into one that is overloaded and very competitive with your books.  hm

On the other side of the equation, you will find the astute buyer jumping into this next CC Event Auction thinking they will be able to get a steal because there will be fewer bidders because they will all be trying to figure out the new redesigned website.  Of course, we then know what's going to happen if everybody also thinks the same way and jumps in on the bidding action in the end.  :flipbait:

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This then means that you would be pulling your books from a much less competitive auction and placing them into one that is overloaded and very competitive with your books.  

My experience is that auction dynamics don't work like this.

Great auctions with lots of great items attract more quality buyers.  Krapola auctions with few items or few quality items generate less buzz and attract fewer quality buyers.  It's as simple as that.  

My impression of the auction market during the last few years is that the pool of money available to chase after books is very deep, and the benefit of being in a hot auction, even though it's filled with books that are competitive with your books, outweighs the risk that bidders' funds will be depleted because there are lots of books competing with yours. 

14 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Well, that's a good point, but since I never paid any attention to their dates before, I had no clue I needed to check the history..  Since they didn't have a definite date, I figured they were a work in progress and ACTUALLY, given the new software...I guess I was right, lol.

I'll see what they say tomorrow, postage is an issue, but a small one in the grand scheme of things...besides it could give me an excuse to drive down to the City..."Honey, you know that show I wanted to see? I just got tickets, but there is this little pit stop I need to make;) "

You should just ask if they can ship all your books directly to Comiclink.

That might be an email that gets answered.  hm

9 hours ago, Point Five said:
23 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I'll see what they say tomorrow,

You should just ask if they can ship all your books directly to Comiclink.

Well, hopefully you managed to get a much more satisfactory response back from them today.  :wishluck:

Although if you try the CL angle as suggested above, I would agree that you'll get an instant response back from them tout suite.  (thumbsu  lol

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, hopefully you managed to get a much more satisfactory response back from them today.  :wishluck:

Although if you try the CL angle as suggested above, I would agree that you'll get an instant response back from them tout suite.  (thumbsu  lol

I got a response this morning, by email, an apology and a prompt response to my reply. They are going to do a few test auctions with non consignment books. 

I guess I'm not going to get to Broadway just yet;) We'll see how everything works out. 
Unfortunately I've had to deal with software upgrade nightmares, so I have a little sympathy.

I really don't mind Clink, but they split their auctions into sections and the last time I listed there, some of my books were lost in the last group, so I'll try Comicconnect again, eventually.

Edited by skypinkblu

15 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 1/21/2020 at 5:08 PM, lou_fine said:

This then means that you would be pulling your books from a much less competitive auction and placing them into one that is overloaded and very competitive with your books.  

My experience is that auction dynamics don't work like this.

Great auctions with lots of great items attract more quality buyers.  Krapola auctions with few items or few quality items generate less buzz and attract fewer quality buyers.  It's as simple as that.  

My impression of the auction market during the last few years is that the pool of money available to chase after books is very deep, and the benefit of being in a hot auction, even though it's filled with books that are competitive with your books, outweighs the risk that bidders' funds will be depleted because there are lots of books competing with yours. 

I would definitely agree with your point of view in your particular case since the type of books that you tend to buy and sell are more in the deep end of the pool where the big boys with their BSD's hang out.  These are the kind of books that would stand out in any type of auction, whether it be a big auction with a ton of quality books in there, or a smaller auction with fewer quality books.  (thumbsu

For collectors like me who are relegated more towards the shallow end of the pool, our books would probably tend to be swamped and overlooked in a huge auction populated by a lot of quality books resulting in lower than expected prices being acheived.  A perfect example of this auction dynamic at work would be this nicely presenting, but relatively low grade copy of the supposedly rare Green Lantern 30 which I was lucky enough to have picked up several years ago:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Green Lantern #30 (DC, 1948) CGC GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-white pages....

I highly doubt that I would have been able to win this book here with my maximum bid of $170 except for the fact that it was buried and lost right in the middle of a huge run of pristine Edgar Church Green Lantern's that Joe Smejkal had consigned for sale in the exact same auction.  :luhv:   :takeit:

Unfortunately for me, with the type of books which I have in my collection, it would probably be easier for them to be lost like a weed in a garden full of roses when it comes to a big quality auction, as opposed to looking more like a rose in a garden full of weeds with respect to a lower quality auction.  hm

I'm still waiting on a response on when I can receive my payment from the last Event Auction. I was going to consign more books. But since CC hasn't pay me yet and the new site is not working properly. I'll hold off or consign to CL. Did everyone get their payment from the last Event Auction in December?  

Edited by taro90

19 minutes ago, taro90 said:

Did everyone get their payment from the last Event Auction in December?  

Did you even bothered to ask them to send you your payment in the first place?  :gossip:

Especially since it's quite possible that a lot of the consignors with CC might simply leave their monies in their account for bidding in future auctions.  (shrug)

If so, this would be a waste of both time and money for CC and their consignors to issue a cheque to them, only to have them send one back in for their winnings in the next auction.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Did you even bothered to ask them to send you your payment in the first place?  :gossip:

Especially since it's quite possible that a lot of the consignors with CC might simply leave their monies in their account for bidding in future auctions.  (shrug)

If so, this would be a waste of both time and money for CC and their consignors to issue a cheque to them, only to have them send one back in for their winnings in the next auction.  hm

Of course, they always send my payment. That's why I'm still waiting on a reply. It's not the first time I've consigned with them. I didn't win anything in their last auction. If I did, they would have deducted from my sales of that same auction. As they've done in the past.

Edited by taro90

On 1/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, skypinkblu said:

Mike also  says they plan to do a smaller "test" auction of non consignor books before the March auction.  I'm going to ask to have my books held or returned. This is the end of January, March is too close for me.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:05 PM, skypinkblu said:

I got a response this morning, by email, an apology and a prompt response to my reply. They are going to do a few test auctions with non consignment books. 

Wow, just testing this Quote feature across multiple pages and it actually works.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Anyways, I also received a PM from a Michael Brill the other morning informing me that my concerns which I had posted here were addressed and for me to give their new redesigned website another try.  Without doing a lot of detailed testing, it does appear to be functioning a whole lot better although it might need just a bit more fine tuning here and there.  (thumbsu

Not sure when they will be running this supposedly test auction of theirs or when their next big Event Auction will be pushed off to?  Have you heard anything back from them and have you made up your mind on what you are going to do with your consigned books?  hm

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, just testing this Quote feature across multiple pages and it actually works.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Anyways, I also received a PM from a Michael Brill the other morning informing me that my concerns which I had posted here were addressed and for me to give their new redesigned website another try.  Without doing a lot of detailed testing, it does appear to be functioning a whole lot better although it might need just a bit more fine tuning here and there.  (thumbsu

Not sure when they will be running this supposedly test auction of theirs or when their next big Event Auction will be pushed off to?  Have you heard anything back from them and have you made up your mind on what you are going to do with your consigned books?  hm

I was not given a date. I asked to have my books held, I was told that would not be a problem...so I figured I'd watch and see what was going on and then decide.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:40 PM, taro90 said:

I'm still waiting on a response on when I can receive my payment from the last Event Auction. I was going to consign more books. But since CC hasn't pay me yet and the new site is not working properly. I'll hold off or consign to CL. Did everyone get their payment from the last Event Auction in December?  

Did you ever get paid from the ComicConnect event auction?

27 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

I'm curious to know what folks think of CC's new method of enlarging book scans.  Instead of enlarging the entire book as they used to, they are now using a "magnifying glass" approach that allows you to see only an enlarged small portion of the book.

ThumbsDownEmoji.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I'm curious to know what folks think of CC's new method of enlarging book scans.  Instead of enlarging the entire book as they used to, they are now using a "magnifying glass" approach that allows you to see only an enlarged small portion of the book. I prefer the prior format.

Not happy with it. :sumo:

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I'm curious to know what folks think of CC's new method of enlarging book scans.  Instead of enlarging the entire book as they used to, they are now using a "magnifying glass" approach that allows you to see only an enlarged small portion of the book.

ThumbsDownEmoji.jpg

Easy solution.  Just use your own handy magnifying glass to look at your computer monitor closely of the book