• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,068 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Its a beauty for the grade. Love it.. Its like the TEC 31 for The Joker😂

63FD9618-6E40-4F93-8ABC-FAF18080592F.jpeg

Well, unless there's a lot of additional bidding prior to the end of this aauction or during the extended bidding sessions, it appears you just might be able to pick it up for a steal as compared to recent sales of this book over the past few years.  :gossip:  :wishluck:

12 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Truthfully, page 5 is the better page since it has the Action 1 cover image.  Page 6 only has the Action 7 cover image.

But I appreciate the enthusiasm!

Of course Page 5 is the best tied with Page 1. But page 6  is no slouch and those both sold over 25.5k one of them brittle. I even think the off white page 5 should have sold for 30k easy.

So good timing. They dont grow on trees and will keep rising in value with Complet action comics 1. 300k for an unerestored or heavily restored is the entry point

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, unless there's a lot of additional bidding prior to the end of this aauction or during the extended bidding sessions, it appears you just might be able to pick it up for a steal as compared to recent sales of this book over the past few years.  :gossip:  :wishluck:

Thanks🤞 

Its looking good so far

7 hours ago, buttock said:

Fortunately the new website "upgrade" didn't save anything I was watching, so I didn't have to spend any money or bid on anything.  

There were a bunch of problems last night: Books ending from a few hours to as much as a day too early. :whatthe: Countdown clocks acting screwy. 

Supposedly things have been fixed and it's all systems go for tonight. We're about to find out.

The new site has been a train wreck. The old site, while dated looking, at least did the job and I think most people had gotten used to its quirks. 

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Books ending from a few hours to as much as a day too early. :whatthe: 

Do you have some examples of books ending a day too early?  ???   :facepalm:

I do, but they restarted the auctions, so they're back to ending tonight. I assume that the "winners" didn't kick about having to give up their premature "wins,"

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There were a bunch of problems last night: Books ending from a few hours to as much as a day too early. :whatthe: Countdown clocks acting screwy. 

Supposedly things have been fixed and it's all systems go for tonight. We're about to find out.

The new site has been a train wreck. The old site, while dated looking, at least did the job and I think most people had gotten used to its quirks. 

Yeesh

3 hours ago, zen514 said:
3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Truthfully, page 5 is the better page since it has the Action 1 cover image.  Page 6 only has the Action 7 cover image.

But I appreciate the enthusiasm!

Of course Page 5 is the best tied with Page 1. But page 6  is no slouch and those both sold over 25.5k one of them brittle. I even think the off white page 5 should have sold for 30k easy.

So good timing. They dont grow on trees and will keep rising in value with Complet action comics 1. 300k for an unerestored or heavily restored is the entry point

I used to own the first wrap.  

2 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I always liked that page, and the middle panel was probably intended by Shuster for Action Comics 2 before it ended up on 7.   

I have been a bit flummoxed trying to figure out how the cover of Action 7 was from the Action 1 story.  I bet you're right.  Maybe it came as a harsh surprise to Siegel and Shuster when their character had to wait 6 more issues to return to the cover.  It's odd they didn't make the Action 7 cover out of a later story, like in issue 6 or 7.  

5 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I used to own the first wrap.  

That page is perplexing to me. It’s like Siegel and Shuster just began their story in the middle instead of the beginning. 

don’t get me wrong; I’d love to own the page

1C927F7C-56DB-486E-8BC4-D15485BD6D12.jpeg

1CFA63F4-7409-490B-9A63-8C4790730B46.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I have been a bit flummoxed trying to figure out how the cover of Action 7 was from the Action 1 story.  I bet you're right.  Maybe it came as a harsh surprise to Siegel and Shuster when their character had to wait 6 more issues to return to the cover.  It's odd they didn't make the Action 7 cover out of a later story, like in issue 6 or 7.  

My guess is they had the cover drawn for 2 based on the Action 1 story, and after it wasn't used for 2 they didn't bother making another cover.  DC got word that superman was the reason the book was selling by the time 7 went to the press and used the cover already drawn.  My educated guess. 

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That page is perplexing to me. It’s like Siegel and Shuster just began their story in the middle instead of the beginning 

1C927F7C-56DB-486E-8BC4-D15485BD6D12.jpeg

1CFA63F4-7409-490B-9A63-8C4790730B46.jpeg

It definitely feels like they just couldn't find the earlier pages in time for printing.   

This was made from daily strips and you could be forgiven for thinking maybe they just wanted to start the strip with action, but Siegel had created earlier strips focusing on the origin story with a different artist before partnering with Shuster so it seems like they (Siegel and Shuster) would've done the same.  I have never read an accounting of what was done that explains all the obvious questions.  

1 minute ago, zen514 said:

Thats Amazing. First Wrap is so cool. The non supes page is neat with hollywood stars.

Thanks.  It had off white pages and I considered it the center piece of my collection of about 85 slabs between 1 and 100.  Bought it for $3250 around 2008 and sold it for 5 figures in 2013.   I don't ever remember seeing another one for sale.  

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Do you have some examples of books ending a day too early?  ???   :facepalm:

I was bidding/watching the Superman 4 (7.5) that is now gone. I tried to search for it, but I can't find it. 

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

My guess is they had the cover drawn for 2 based on the Action 1 story, and after it wasn't used for 2 they didn't bother making another cover.  DC got word that superman was the reason the book was selling by the time 7 went to the press and used the cover already drawn.  My educated guess. 

I'd bet they knew or were told what the deal was fairly early on.  The reader poll they helped use to see what was driving it was in Action Comics #4 (which was the reason Donenfeld stated for the timeline on several occasions, including in court).

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

Anyone know what issue was the first to sell 1 million copies ?  I think it was 3 or 5