• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,157 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Thanks.  It had off white pages and I considered it the center piece of my collection of about 85 slabs between 1 and 100.  Bought it for $3250 around 2008 and sold it for 5 figures in 2013.   I don't ever remember seeing another one for sale.  

Remember it well !  I’ve seen a page 1 for sale but never a wrap. Page 1 is def my fave but there are no slouches 

33 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Anyone know what issue was the first to sell 1 million copies ?  I think it was 3 or 5 

Not until the mid-1941 or 1942, probably.

DC v Bruns, which began around the time of Action Comics #11, has it that:

The sales of said magazine to the general public have risen from month to month since the initial publication and distribution thereof. Estimated present sales thereof to the general public are at the rate of 350,000 copies per issue out of 472,000 distributed copies of each issue thereof.

In a 1941 Saturday Evening Post article which interviews several people involved including Donenfeld, they note:

The following July, Superman Magazine bowed in as a bimonthly. It has been zipping along ever since at a lively 1,300,000, while Action Comics, featuring only one Superman story, soared to 900,000. Today Superman leads all other comic-magazine characters, one of the few within hailing distance being The Batman -- 800,000--a bimonthly also owned by Donenfeld.

1 hour ago, markseifert said:

I'd bet they knew or were told what the deal was fairly early on.  The reader poll they helped use to see what was driving it was in Action Comics #4 (which was the reason Donenfeld stated for the timeline on several occasions, including in court).

That makes sense.  While Action 4 was on the stands, they would be putting together #7

The new site is really frustrating.  How do you see what a book sold for?  You can no longer track it through your watch list because it gets automatically deleted from the list once it is sold.  And their marketing emails no longer include links, so you cannot access the info that way either.  I've been a pretty regular customer of theirs over the years, but this change seems designed solely to frustrate customers.  It's frustrating enough that I may stop being one. 

Just now, RareHighGrade said:

The new site is really frustrating.  How do you see what a book sold for?  You can no longer track it through your watch list because it gets automatically deleted from the list once it is sold.  And their marketing emails no longer include links, so you cannot access the info that way either.  I've been a pretty regular customer of theirs over the years, but this change seems designed solely to frustrate customers.  It's frustrating enough that I may stop being one. 

Its a little weird, sometime I see what it sold for and sometimes not and I have to click on the book to see what it went for.:pullhair:

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

Its a little weird, sometime I see what it sold for and sometimes not and I have to click on the book to see what it went for.:pullhair:

It's made me appreciate comiclink, and that's saying a lot. 

13 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

If you saved it on your Pc it's still there

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/854566?tzf=1

Edited by woowoo

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The one signed by Kane I regret letting go, but this one had brittle pages

Ya your right brittle is a No No. Kane copy was bad a--

2 hours ago, JakeM said:

Sooooo... that Batman #1 CGC 3.5 saw a huge dip from previous sales. Surprised it went that low.

+1

Most definitely as this is the first time that I can remember a copy of Bat 1 going for less than its condition guide value as this copy here sold at a 14% discount to guide: :whatthe:  :(

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/854566

bat1.18296.jpg

I am quite sure that the Slightly Brittle pages had something to do with it, but maybe Mitch's doom & gloom Covid-19 prognstication might also be kicking in here, especially for some of these high dollar value books that tends to show up in every single auction.  Buyers are probably being a bit fussier in this type of economic environment for these types of books since they know that they can be more selective.  hm

51 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

It makes my computer run super hot. My laptop's processor and fan goes crazy if I spend any amount of time on the website. Furthermore, ended auctions are interspersed with ongoing auctions, which makes it difficult to navigate while books are being auctioned off. Not very user-friendly, but I say we give them a pass and see if they can fix it for their next auction.

59 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

That's rather strange as I was able to click onto their Day 1 Auction and still be able to sort and see their completed Sold auction listings last night.  Definitely not the case tonight as there's nothing there at all for both Day 1 and Day 2 tonight.  Definitely frustrating and I hope somebody here with some kind of pull can contact them so that they can get their act together. :frustrated: :censored:

Absolutely love the marketing emails they used to send out with all of the links because they actually provide you with easy access to their prior auction results.  Since I was able to see the Day 1 results last night, I am sure they must have all of them in their system somewhere and it should be a simple matter of turning that feature back on for us if they want to.  hm  :wishluck:

3 hours ago, markseifert said:

Not until the mid-1941 or 1942, probably.

DC v Bruns, which began around the time of Action Comics #11, has it that:

In a 1941 Saturday Evening Post article which interviews several people involved including Donenfeld, they note:

Appreciate the legwork on this very much !  Any data on how many Tec 27’s were printed ?  I have it at Most likely around 175k 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I assume you must be referring to their Sold archive that they have available as part of their Advanced Search drop down list.  hm

As far as I can tell, if you can see Sold price without having to click onto the book, then it is a non-auction sale.  The only problem is that they don't have the date for when the sale took place, so it's really not that useful.  If you have to click onto the book to see the price (which is an absolute pain :pullhair: ), then this is an auction format sale and thank goodness, it comes with a date for when the auction took place.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:
9 hours ago, zen514 said:

Its a beauty for the grade. Love it.. Its like the TEC 31 for The Joker😂

63FD9618-6E40-4F93-8ABC-FAF18080592F.jpeg

Well, unless there's a lot of additional bidding prior to the end of this aauction or during the extended bidding sessions, it appears you just might be able to pick it up for a steal as compared to recent sales of this book over the past few years.  :gossip:  :wishluck:

9 hours ago, zen514 said:

Thanks🤞 

Its looking good so far

Zen;

So, was you able to pick up this copy for your collection as it went up by only a few hundred dollars more at only $9,800?  :wishluck:

Found it rather surprising that this once hot book didn't see any action at all during the extended bidding sessions.  :whatthe:

Although the final price of $9,800 represented a healthy 45% premium to guide, it's definitely a whole lot less than the outlier price point of $17,705 which it sold for a couple of years ago. :tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

but maybe Mitch's doom & gloom Covid-19 prognstication might also be kicking in here, especially for some of these high dollar value books that tends to show up in every single auction.  Buyers are probably being a bit fussier in this type of economic environment for these types of books since they know that they can be more selective.  hm

Quite possibly... but CC/Metro's craptastic website and deteriorating customer service probably caught up to them here as well, and cost them and their consignors big time.  I sat this one out minus a few lowball bids I placed 2 weeks ago...I imagine many others didn't feel like bothering either.

Can anyone tell me what the slight restored Tec 38 ended at ? I had the book in my watch list but now that the auction has ended it no longer is there :frown:

Also had the Tec 45 8.5 under watch, same thing. Not an easy book to find in that high grade.

@ComicConnect if possible it would be nice that watched items stay even when the auction closes. Thanks.

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, JakeM said:

Sooooo... that Batman #1 CGC 3.5 saw a huge dip from previous sales. Surprised it went that low.

+1

Most definitely as this is the first time that I can remember a copy of Bat 1 going for less than its condition guide value as this copy here sold at a 14% discount to guide: :whatthe:  :(

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/854566

bat1.18296.jpg

I am quite sure that the Slightly Brittle pages had something to do with it, but maybe Mitch's doom & gloom Covid-19 prognostication might also be kicking in here, especially for some of these high dollar value books that tends to show up in every single auction.  Buyers are probably being a bit fussier in this type of economic environment for these types of books since they know that they can be more selective.  hm

someone made off with a great buy, brittle or not.