• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,098 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
On 5/19/2020 at 9:01 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The new site is really frustrating.  How do you see what a book sold for?  You can no longer track it through your watch list because it gets automatically deleted from the list once it is sold.  And their marketing emails no longer include links, so you cannot access the info that way either.  I've been a pretty regular customer of theirs over the years, but this change seems designed solely to frustrate customers.  It's frustrating enough that I may stop being one. 

To give credit where it's due, the sold items have now reappeared on my watched list.  Thank you CC.  (thumbsu

That still means you have to put everything onto your Watch List if you want to keep track of the various auction results.  :frustrated:

It would be a whole lot simpler if they just kept all of the individual links up for each one of their auctions by day like what they had before in the past.  :applause:

Hopefully, they are still monitoring this thread here and listen to this request by responding accordingly.  :gossip:  :wishluck:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any guesses as to where this currently red hot book will finished up at, since it is already sitting at $11,200 with another almost 5 hours to go:

mas2.44_2.jpg

My guess is that it'll finished up at a very string price with some extended bidding thrown in there for good measure, but still nowhere close to the outlier of a price of $24K that the CGC 5.5 graded copy was able to fetch in a Heritage Auction near the end of last year before the severe economic downdraft of this whole Coronavirus situation.  hm   :taptaptap:

And to think that copies like these were selling for only a grand or two (and even less in some cases) only a few short years ago.  :whatthe:   :takeit:

Well, looks like this copy here still finished up pretty strongly at $16,866 considering that it is only a CGC 4.5 graded copy as compared to the CGC 5.5 graded copy that sold for $24K near the end of last year.  Especially when you compared it to the much higher graded CGC 6.0 copy that managed to fetch only $13,966 just over a year ago in one of the CC Event Auctions back then.  hm

Looks like confirmation of a continuing upward trend in prices over the mid to longer term along with a consolidation of strong prices over the short term for this L.B. Cole book. (thumbsu

Anybody else here except for me here surprised by the rather strong extended bidding which took place on this pre-hero DC book:

new2.96a.jpg

This copy here actually sold for $2,350 or virtually double condition guide which is definitely rather surprising  :whatthe: , especially considering that the other higher graded copies of pre-hero More Fun's and New Comics which they had in this same auction here were only able to sell for a lower price point than this book and only at huge discounts to condition guide.  :(

Even more surprising since this exact same Nicholas Cage copy was only able to fetch $603 or just a bit more than half of condition guide when it sold on Heritage way back in 2002.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Guess I should have stay at home today instead of going out as I arrived at home too late to bid on the pre-hero More Fun's which I had forgotten all about.  doh!  

Looks like this rare and HTF copy went for pretty much of a steal at only $1,802 or about $1K under condition guide:

mor1.1134a.jpg

Love the strong red colors on this copy here and extremely rare with only 4 Universal unrestored copies graded to date, with this Lost Valley pedigree copy the highest graded by a long shot if you exclude the Conserved 7.5 copy.  Doubt it will be beaten anytime soon since there is no Larson copy and the Church copy of this book was graded as only a Fair copy by Chuch since it is apparently missing the first page.  hm

Looks like the winner of this copy here managed to get themselves a relative steal of a deal, although these pre-hero DC books do seem to have sadly fallen out of favor from collectors over the decades, as clearly evident by the downward trend in prices.  Especially since this Lost Valley copy sold at auction on Heritage for $2,645 way back in 2005 before reselling for $2,390 in 2010.  :frown:

So, maybe not that much of a steal of a deal after all based upon the way these books have been trending over the past 30 or so years.  :(  :(

7 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

To give credit where it's due, the sold items have now reappeared on my watched list.  Thank you CC.  (thumbsu

Indeed ! Thank you guys at ComicConnect.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like this copy here still finished up pretty strongly at $16,866 considering that it is only a CGC 4.5 graded copy as compared to the CGC 5.5 graded copy that sold for $24K near the end of last year.  Especially when you compared it to the much higher graded CGC 6.0 copy that managed to fetch only $13,966 just over a year ago in one of the CC Event Auctions back then.  hm

Looks like confirmation of a continuing upward trend in prices over the mid to longer term along with a consolidation of strong prices over the short term for this L.B. Cole book. (thumbsu

It’s the new Suspense 3

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
11 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
17 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Not Gold, but interested in where this one will end.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/854548

raw1.1070_1.jpg

Furious extended bidding  - here’s the last of it

wow !

$20,600!!!  :whatthe:

I don't follow Timely/Atlas/Marvel Westerns at all.  Was this in line with expectations or shocking?

18 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I don't follow Timely/Atlas/Marvel Westerns at all.  Was this in line with expectations or shocking?

It was a total shock to me, but I guess not to everybody. Someone paid big money a few years ago for a copy which, at the time, may have been top of the census. But there was a new sheriff in town when this copy surfaced.

I remember with fondness Rawhide Kid and Kid Colt from when I was young, but never really thought there was much collector interest. I was wrong!

I guess Kirby and Lee put this book together just before creating history with Fantastic Four, etc. 

1D75C83A-B85B-4203-8505-74DD0FDE27DE.jpeg

FBC3BAFE-221A-4D39-8894-3BF498209ADE.png

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
3 hours ago, tth2 said:

It was a total shock to me, but I guess not to everybody. Someone paid big money a few years ago for a copy which, at the time, may have been top of the census. But there was a new sheriff in town when this copy surfaced.

Yes, I believe the real shock already took place a couple of years ago when a relatively HG copy, but still not into the 9's yet, managed to fetched 5 figures in an auction.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

55 minutes ago, buttock said:
57 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Apparently. Still, the demand was shocking 

Never underestimate a highest graded SA Marvel key. 

Still for me, not quite as shicking as this Davis Crippen copy of Millie the Model 2 which managed to fetched $17,925 in a Heritage Auction a couple of years ago:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Millie the Model #2 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) Pedigree (Atlas/Marvel, 1946) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white pages....