• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,166 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2020 at 8:51 AM, lou_fine said:

Isn't it amazing how soon we forget, especially when these 3 books got so much hype, as per usual from Darren Adams:

https://www.federalwaymirror.com/business/federal-way-business-owner-auctions-rare-comics-donating-portion-of-proceeds/

Looks like it sold for $936,233 along with a $399,100 for the CGC 9.6 highest graded copy of Sensation Comics 1 and a further $226,877 for the CGC 9.0 graded copy of Wonder Woman #1.  (thumbsu

If I remember correctly, some boardies were expecting the books to sell for a bit more at the time, considering the huge and unexpected success of the Wonder Woman movie at the time.  (shrug)

"These comic books never even made it to the news stands. The original owner started collecting them in 1941. He bought his comics from a magazine distributor and took them directly to his home, where they remained, undisturbed, for 70-plus years."

lol

Adam's is the quintessential carnival barker operating a circus maximus of misrepresentations. His comic-book lineage fairy tells eclipse any story dreamed up by P. T. Barnum and substantiate the ole adage "There's a sucker born every minute."

That is cute. Sorry I ruffled your feathers there little fella.

All I am saying is there will be a reserve. If the books don't meet the reserve then the original buyer overpaid the market. He may be happy with the price he paid in 2017. You may be happy with the price he paid in 2017. But if the books have a reserve at or near that price and don't sell then he overpaid. On the other hand you can't refute my statement. If the books do sell for more than the reserve but less than $5,000,000 how are we to know what the winning bidder's upper limit was?

Edited by MrBedrock

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

All I am saying is there will be a reserve. If the books don't meet the reserve then the original buyer overpaid the market. He may be happy with the price he paid in 2017. You may be happy with the price he paid in 2017. But if the books have a reserve at or near that price and don't sell then he overpaid. On the other hand you can't refute my statement. If the books do sell for more than the reserve but less than $5,000,000 how are we to know what the winning bidder's upper limit was?

Everybody’s a little fella compared to you green giant. If your in this to collect then you can’t overpay so true to your point if the intention was to always are sell then at this point in time The buyer (s) did.  

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Didn’t realize but the owners of the AS8 9.4 are also getting rid of their Sensation 1 9.6!

Does this mean that the CGC 9.0 graded copy of Wonder Woman is waiting on the on deck circle or was this book brought by somebody else back in 2017?  hm

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Does this mean that the CGC 9.0 graded copy of Wonder Woman is waiting on the on deck circle or was this book brought by somebody else back in 2017?  hm

Somebody else I believe. The WW 1 wasn’t from the same collection as the other 2 books if you weren’t aware 

Edited by Chicago Boy

1 hour ago, MasterChief said:

Adam's is the quintessential carnival barker operating a circus maximus of misrepresentations. His comic-book lineage fairy tells eclipse any story dreamed up by P. T. Barnum and substantiate the ole adage "There's a sucker born every minute."

Hey Mitch;

Did you see the tag team duo of Adams and Nelson when they did up that big "crock and bull" 5-minute eBay video for the CGC 9.0 copy of Action 1 that ended up seling for $3.2M, but somehow conveniently left out some rather critical details in their timeline history of the book?  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Hey @MrBedrock I just had a glass of Jack and I am new to this what are you talking abought

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

Did you see the tag team duo of Adams and Nelson when they did up that big "crock and bull" 5-minute eBay video for the CGC 9.0 copy of Action 1 that ended up seling for $3.2M, but somehow conveniently left out some rather critical details in their timeline history of the book?  :devil:

https://www.cgccomics.com/1134755001/#features/

7 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Well, with the Seller's Notes stating the following:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

The finest known copy of the most sought after comic book in the world. A 1938 museum piece with PERFECT WHITE pristine pages.

Well, with a bold and definitive statement like that, it's quite clear to me that Darren Adams must have never heard of the Church copy of Action Comics #1 then.  :devil:

On 6/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, szav said:

Here's CCs high quality back cover scan of this potentially million dollar book...… good thing they've fixed all their website problems ...or is it just me?  the front cover scan looks great.  Agree with the sentiment that the timing on this flip is really odd.

AS894back.jpg

Yes, not sure what is going on here with the back cover scans for both the All-Star 8 and the Sensation 1, since you certainly don't seem to see the same "out of focus" problems with all of their other books.  :p

Since these 2 books are apparently coming from the same source and they have a Reserve Price set in place on them, I suspect it's quite possible that CC might not even have the books in hand and what we are seeing is a scan of another poorly done scan or picture which the consignor themselves probably did not bother to take a close look at before flipping it out to CC for posting.  hm  (shrug)

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, not sure what is going on here with the back cover scans for both the All-Star 8 and the Sensation 1, since you certainly don't seem to see the same "out of focus" problems with all of their other books.  :p

Since these 2 books are apparently coming from the same source and they have a Reserve Price set in place on them, I suspect it's quite possible that CC might not even have the books in hand and what we are seeing is a scan of another poorly done scan or picture which the consignor themselves probably did not bother to take a close look at before flipping it out to CC for posting.  hm  (shrug)

Guess CC and the consignor don't care.  They just expect people to pay for the grade and the census rank...which frankly will probably happen anyway on a book like this.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I would be surprised  if CC Has possession with a reserve 

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:
22 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Hey Mitch;

Edited 20 hours ago by lou_fine

Yeah... I saw the Adams cedar-chest provenance picture show. What a gag! It's a fine-tuned confidence game. There's none better.

The sequel's something to take pleasure in, too. Adams doesn't mention the provenance of the All-Star Comics #8 or the Sensation Comics #1 in the follow-up show, BUT the (alleged) lineage is used as a provocative advertising lede in many news articles promoting/reporting the Adams' Wonder Woman eBay auction.

By the way...

If it's true that "advertising is to a genuine article what manure is to land — it largely increases the product” ... then why on earth has ComicConnect not mentioned the distinguished provenance of these two books (original owner bought from a magazine distributor) in their auction descriptions?

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

You misspelled 'Crock and Bull' :kidaround:

On 6/6/2020 at 1:01 PM, bpc3qh said:

I'm a little surprised the owner isn't holding off until WW1984 actually makes it to theaters, in an attempt to have a little more WW buzz going around (and maybe less economic turmoil). This just seems like a bad time to bring a book like this to auction.

FYI:  I believe this upcoming Event Auction is scheduled to end sometime in August and the WW1984 movie was scheduled to be released on August 14th, but just announced this morning that it has now been postponed to October 2 of this year.  :gossip:

Absolutely no hype with any of these movies right now because who really wants to be locked in a theatre with possible asymptomatic people sitting in close proximity to you for a couple of hours.  :sick:  :fear:

On 6/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, lou_fine said:

The back cover images used in the ComicConnect listing are of substandard quality because they appear to have been cropped, resized, and compressed from the original source imagery, which resulted in image quality loss and poor visibility.

Here are the original images bearing the Pristine Comics sticker.

1341502001_ASC-8_FRONT.jpg

1341502001_ASC-8_BACK.jpg

1208691001_SC-1_9-6_FRONT.jpg

1208691001_SC-1_9-6_BACK.jpg

Anyone else still waiting on books from the May auction? I've found comicconnect to be the slowest in terms of shipping wins in the past, but my check was cashed six weeks ago. I called last Monday and was told my order was in the queue.(shrug)

I realize NYC was hit hard by the pandemic, which could slow things, but even a "your order is being processed" update would have been nice, but nothing since they emailed the acknowledgment of the order back in May.

18 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Anyone else still waiting on books from the May auction? I've found comicconnect to be the slowest in terms of shipping wins in the past, but my check was cashed six weeks ago. I called last Monday and was told my order was in the queue.(shrug)

I realize NYC was hit hard by the pandemic, which could slow things, but even a "your order is being processed" update would have been nice, but nothing since they emailed the acknowledgment of the order back in May.

Got an email on Friday that my win was scheduled for FedEx pick up.