• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, this just might be your lucky day then as I might just be able to save you some money here.  :gossip:

Not sure what other GA book you are referring to, but according to both Overstreet and this link attached link below, the All-American 61 is both the origin and first appearance of Solomon Grundy:  (thumbsu

https://dcuguide.com/w/Solomon_Grundy_(Cyrus_Gold)_Chronology

It's my fault for not looking at the post closely enough see which Grundy book was being referred to--the two GA Grundy books I covet are All-American 61 (his first appearance) and All-Star 33 (the classic cover). I already have his first SA appearance in Showcase 55, but I'll upgrade it eventually.

56 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

It's my fault for not looking at the post closely enough see which Grundy book was being referred to--the two GA Grundy books I covet are All-American 61 (his first appearance) and All-Star 33 (the classic cover). I already have his first SA appearance in Showcase 55, but I'll upgrade it eventually.

If I remember correctly, I believe that AA 61 is also considered to be a classic Grundy cover and in a survey of the Top GA covers of all time as run by Heritage back in 2016, it finished somewhere in their Top 40 chart of GA covers.  :gossip:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, I believe that AA 61 is also considered to be a classic Grundy cover and in a survey of the Top GA covers of all time as run by Heritage back in 2016, it finished somewhere in their Top 40 chart of GA covers.  :gossip:

Oh yes, I'm sure that it is. I mostly meant to distinguish the two books--there's the origin/1st appearance that's "also" a classic cover, and the book that's "only" a classic cover.

Not sure this happened for others or not but after like 9 months of not getting anything or so I all of the sudden started getting my wantlist emails from CC/metro again...

I'm not sure I still want anything from them, can barely manage to force myself to search through their auction offerings.  Miss the old website.

Edited by szav

On 8/8/2020 at 11:59 PM, szav said:

Not sure this happened for others or not but after like 9 months of not getting anything or so I all of the sudden started getting my wantlist emails from CC/metro again...

I'm not sure I still want anything from them, can barely manage to force myself to search through their auction offerings.  Miss the old website.

Same. My (outdated) want list just resurfaced from Metro. Maybe a recent tweak to their revamped website. (shrug)

On 8/8/2020 at 8:59 PM, szav said:

Miss the old website.

What's the biggest things that you don't like about their revamped auction website, as I must be getting used to it already?  (shrug)

The biggest visual difference is the fact that they now have their lots on a 5 X 4 layout format, instead of their old 25 vertical layout format, which I guess is really a case of to each their own from a pure appearance point of view.  I definitely don't like their overpowering countdown clock that they have, but certainly like the fact that their auction archives are now fully up-to-date.  (thumbsu

Now, if I was thinking about consigning any books to an auction house, I might give them a pass as I definitely wouldn't care for the fact that they line up all of the competing copies that they have in inventory against your consigned copy.  As a potential bidder though, it's probably useful unformation as it helps to set a ceiling in terms of the max price you should be bidding for some of these books.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

What's the biggest things that you don't like about their revamped auction website

I'll always value function over form, and it does appear at this point that they've restored or improved some of the functionality of the website.  I can at least more easily find what I bid on etc and search through the books a bit more easily as well.

Number one beef now is that the whole thing is just an eyesore.  I don't know who designed the layout, but its just not professional looking, and the comics themselves seem to get about 10% of the space.  The the rest is bright blue buttons and bland backdrop.

Now, does the look of the site matter? I guess not, but I operate under the assumption that if they skimp on the website, they probably skimp on other areas of their business as well.

I'll buy things from them if they have them at the right price, but I wouldn't consign anything with them right now.

23 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I'm definitely adapting to the website, though I still find it slow, clunky, and somewhat unresponsive. ComicLink's website may be ancient, but I like it the best.

Since I am clearly not one of your new generation hi tech guys who notices the differences in page loading by nano seconds, this aspect doesn't seem to bother me too much.  (shrug)

Especially since their 3-minuted extended bidding time frames allows me enough time to check other auction sites archives, Overstreet, Gerber Photojournal, GoCollect or GPA stats, pedigree checklists like Mile High, Larson, Allentown, etc. before I decide whether to up the bid on a book or not.  Definitely came in very useful during the Jon Berk auction a few years ago.  (thumbsu

55 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Since I am clearly not one of your new generation hi tech guys who notices the differences in page loading by nano seconds, this aspect doesn't seem to bother me too much.  (shrug)

It could also be my computer--either way, there is a definite lag between that website as compared to the other auction sites

4 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

It could also be my computer--either way, there is a definite lag between that website as compared to the other auction sites

Mine too.  Placing bids is quite delayed. I could see this causing trouble for people that wait until the last minute to bid.  Page loading was SUPER delayed for me when it first launched, but they seem to have improved that a lot since then (still pretty slow though).  

A few, more minor kinks to work out in my book, but it's improved considerably since launch where I have faith they'll get it done soon enough.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA
adding detail

AS 8.  $806k.  Didn’t sell as didn't hit reserve. Nor did it come close to sales price of 2 years ago.  My gut tells me the reserve was a mil so if it sold the owners would get close to breaking even from 2 years ago if it hit.   The  conspiracy theorist in me says the the 802k was a shill bid.  

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 12/24/2018 at 9:36 AM, Bird said:

I have never dealt with Heritage directly but with Clink I am made to feel small-time and although I am small-time Vincent Z @ Metropolis makes me feel big. That is why my wife has instructions to deal with Vincent at Metropolis should something happen to me; when I sometimes remind her of this she says "that is the guy who gave us a tour and brought us into his office to see the stuff in there as well, right?" Handling people well makes a difference, at least it does with me.

I’ve dealt with both Comicconnect and ComicLink and am by no means a big book seller, and never had issues with either personally.