• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,165 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, N e r V said:

It was sold August 27th 2017 for $399,100.00. So a little more than break even.

You have to assume they are paying interest or have to give 10 percent to Fischler so basically break even after holding it fir two years. 

1 minute ago, Chicago Boy said:

You have to assume they are paying interest or have to give 10 percent to Fischler so basically break even after holding it fir two years. 

Yep. So their profit will be only known to them. Big books aren’t always the best way to invest if that was their goal. If you are strictly in it to invest my thinking has always been view comics as stocks in a mutual fund vs all eggs in one basket. The higher you go up the air becomes thinner and so do the potential buyers...

6 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Yep. So their profit will be only known to them. Big books aren’t always the best way to invest if that was their goal. If you are strictly in it to invest my thinking has always been view comics as stocks in a mutual fund vs all eggs in one basket. The higher you go up the air becomes thinner and so do the potential buyers...

Agreed.  The sweet spot for me has always been $5k to $10k books.  I'm not a dealer.  I'm not in it to flip.  But when my collecting goals change course, and I let go of the old crop to make room for the new, this is the segment that has done the best for me.  Books cheaper than that don't make much difference to the bottom line, and books more expensive than that are too hit and miss.  Do I still pick up the occasional bigger book?  Well, yes.  But not with any thought other than the book is important to me and I want to make it a permanent member of the family. 

4 hours ago, october said:

You know, it wasn't that long ago when MLJ's just sat. A few years ago I had time to go back and forth on offers on two copies of 32 that popped up on eBay back to back. I made those offers while they both sat at $2000-2500 BIN's for hours and hours. The nicer is gone, but still have the second copy. The market changes fast. 

zip 32 (2).jpg

Well, from seeing some of the absolutely gorgeous books which you have posted on these boards for our viewing pleasure, you are clearly an astute collector with sharp eyes when it comes to the classic cover books.  :luhv:  :applause:

Now, that the MLJ books have finally arisen from their death bed after all these long years, do you think you can do anything at all about some of these Fawcett books or are they already too far gone and beyond help by now.  :(  :wishluck:

On 8/27/2020 at 2:26 PM, skypinkblu said:

I was wondering the same thing? but it doesn't matter, there is no perfect plan in selling a few comics.

I'm not doing as badly as I thought.  They are not high, some prices are lower than expected, but they forgot to list 2 books. I had figured out my semi hopeful ending on the basis of 21 books, they only listed 19. I see 2 are in "unsold". Hopefully they will explain that one of these days. No answer so far.

Hey Sharon;

So, hopefully everything went alright with you in terms of your consignment by the time it's all said and done.  :wishluck:

With most of these auctions, you never really know sometimes until the hammer comes down or in this case here, when the clock clicks down to zero.  Especially in the case of the CC Event Auction format where most of the action happens on the last day and oftentimes, you can see even a doubling or tripling in price.  Like usual, although a few lots may slightly disappoint in your consignment, there's usually also a few other lots that tends to outperform by a large margin.  Especially if you are lucky enough to have 2 bidders that's really going at it and hitting that button during the 3-minute extended bidding sessions.  :slapfight:  :whee:

Bottom-line, if you end up doing better than your initial expectations on the entire consignment as a whole, you really can't complain too much then. (thumbsu

31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Now, that the MLJ books have finally arisen from their death bed after all these long years, do you think you can do anything at all about some of these Fawcett books or are they already too far gone and beyond help by now.  :(  :wishluck:

That would take WAY more magic than I possess. 

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With as many as I have also it’s not likely. 

7B28F0B2-3330-46DE-9548-2395AD110A85.jpeg

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Sharon;

So, hopefully everything went alright with you in terms of your consignment by the time it's all said and done.  :wishluck:

With most of these auctions, you never really know sometimes until the hammer comes down or in this case here, when the clock clicks down to zero.  Especially in the case of the CC Event Auction format where most of the action happens on the last day and oftentimes, you can see even a doubling or tripling in price.  Like usual, although a few lots may slightly disappoint in your consignment, there's usually also a few other lots that tends to outperform by a large margin.  Especially if you are lucky enough to have 2 bidders that's really going at it and hitting that button during the 3-minute extended bidding sessions.  :slapfight:  :whee:

Bottom-line, if you end up doing better than your initial expectations on the entire consignment as a whole, you really can't complain too much then. (thumbsu

Thanks...I was down quite a bit until  my Wonderworld 28 sold.  It helped the average and was a lot of fun watching the end.

On 8/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, skypinkblu said:

Thanks...I was down quite a bit until  my Wonderworld 28 sold.  It helped the average and was a lot of fun watching the end.

Well, if this is the copy that you are referring to and with a cover like that plus its rarity with only 6 graded copies so far to date, you really had nothing to worry about right from the get go:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/867960

won3.359.jpg

Looks like it sold for $3,500 and with a total of 44 bids on the book by the time it was all said and done, it definitely must have been prolonged excitement and fun to watch as a consignor.  Especially since I am quite sure that it must have gone on for quite an extended time with a lot of hits on the auction clock resetting the time back to the 3-minute mark.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

I know people said shipments took forever last CC auction.  I just got a notification that my books from the most recent auction shipped yesterday.  Hopefully they improved shipping times and everyone else will be receiving shipping notifications soon if they haven't already.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA
Clarified which auction