• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,068 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, szav said:

I guess these guys must think that their website and service are awesome enough now that they can start taking a bigger piece of the pie from consigners by adding a buyers premium... on the other hand, I can't also help but think there is some cornball Major League the Movie esque plot going on here, where the company owners are trying to drive this business in the ground in order to devalue it enough to trigger a secret exit clause that allows them to move the team... err company out of New York. 

I've typically put Clink at #3 out of the 3 big auction houses, but they've stepped their game up lately both in terms of quality of offerings, results, and customer service.  Their shipping has gone from atrociously slow to blazing fast.  Comicconnect, on the other hand... well let's just say I don't anticipate getting my winnings soon.  I'll be happy if they're here by the end of January.  There's no excuse for that.  Oh, and offer a damn credit card option.  That's another nickel and dime thing to add to the BP.  

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, with both CL and CC (in the past at least) it was pretty straight forward with only a Seller's Premium (SP) of 10% and no Buyer's Premium (BP) at all. This means that if a book sells for say $1,200 at auction for both of these auction houses, the consignor would receive 90% or $1,080 while the auction house would receive 10% or $120.  :applause:

The only qualifier being the use of payment by credit cards and/or PayPal which is apparently subject to certain limits, with this 3% fee then being charged to either the buyer (CL) or the seller (CC or this might have changed recently to the buyer instead???).

With Heritage, it's a completely different story as they have both a BP and SP in place for their auctions.  Apparently, these fees are negotiable depending upon both the quantity and the quality of the books which you are then consigning.  Supposedly, it's doesn't take too much for them to start giving the discounts to you.  (shrug)

If we work on the assumption of paying the full freight without any discounts at all, then it's just the set BP of 20% and not sure about the SP, but possibly a further 15%.  This means that if a book hammers for $1,000; then the price of the winner pays $1,200 with Heritage taking the 20% BP of $200.  The seller than pays a SP of 15% on the hammer price or $150 which means the consignor will see only $850 with Heritage getting the remaining $350 out of the $1,200 auction result.  :(  :censored:

One again though, it must be emphasized that some board members here have stated that with the discounts in place, consignors can get something closer to what the consignment fees are with CL and CC. hm  (thumbsu  

That's about as thorough of an explanation as you can get. Thanks for all that detail. I knew CL was 10% , now I know CC is also 10%. To me I think that is fair for all. I didn't know Heritage took both SP and BP. I understand to can negotiate SP with them but to me 20% on top of SP is already  adequately in their favor, any more than that out of the sellers pocket is just too much. I guess the only question now is will CC continue to take 10% plus add a BP of 10 or 15 percent on top of that. Looks like it may be heading that direction. 

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although a CGC 9.4 graded copy and one notch below the Church CGC 9.6 graded copy, I am 100% sure that it will still not come anywhere close to the $200K price that Anthony Chiofalo paid for the Billy Wright CGC 8.5 graded copy back in 2012.  :whatthe:   (tsk)  (tsk)

The seller of that BW must have been absolutely ecstatic when Heritage contacted them to let them know that some some fool embezzler was willing to turn over $200,000 to them through the HA Make Offer to Owner feature after he was the lucky auction winner of the book only a week earlier at the winning bid of $49,293.75.  :banana:   :whee:

That’s an insane story ! Wo !

it seems simple enough- CC sees HA charging the premium, and doing very well, so they want their piece of the action. i wouldnt be surprised if CL soon follows suit. none of these auction houses has a reputation for class or for doing anything for the consumer than extracting the most $ from them that they possibly can. and i still give them my money. kind of like a dope dealer and a junkie.

16 hours ago, buttock said:

I've typically put Clink at #3 out of the 3 big auction houses, but they've stepped their game up lately both in terms of quality of offerings, results, and customer service.  Their shipping has gone from atrociously slow to blazing fast.  Comicconnect, on the other hand... well let's just say I don't anticipate getting my winnings soon.  I'll be happy if they're here by the end of January.  There's no excuse for that.  Oh, and offer a damn credit card option.  That's another nickel and dime thing to add to the BP.  

I don’t think I can put Clink at 3 anymore   They have moved up in my opinion. I also have Hakes at 4 these days 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it seems simple enough- CC sees HA charging the premium, and doing very well, so they want their piece of the action. i wouldnt be surprised if CL soon follows suit.

I hope things adversely affect their expectations.

What separated ComicConnect from Heritage was the BP. With the introduction of a BP,

we will soon see if buyers will continue to flock to their auctions.

Edited by Gotham Kid

23 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Don't see this in high grade all that often

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/902222

arc1.2013.jpg

Nice book. Looks more like a 7.0 to me.  I know CGC is kind to dust shadows but the upper left and bottom right corners are a little rough.  I think I’d rather hold out for a little nicer page quality also. On the other hand it is on my grail list. 

31 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I don’t think I can put Clink at 3 anymore   They have moved up in my opinion. I also have Hakes at 4 these days 

I always forget about Hakes, I guess that's why I still say the big 3.  

3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it seems simple enough- CC sees HA charging the premium, and doing very well, so they want their piece of the action. i wouldnt be surprised if CL soon follows suit.

Heritage has always been charging both a BP and a SP right from the get go when they first entered the market way back in 2002 or was it 2003? 

There's a reason why they are able to get away with charging both when you take a look at how they operate and all of the associated costs which they have to bear in comparison to a much smaller operation like CC andCL.  This then also has a definite impact on what they are able to offer to their comsignors in terms of catlogs, superior website, etc.  hm

The question for the consignors is whether is worth paying the extra fees for all of these fancy frills that you get as what really counts to them is the bottom lin net they are going to get for their books.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

What separated ComicConnect from Heritage was the BP. With the introduction of a BP,

we will soon see if buyers consignors will continue to flock to their auctions.

As @tth2 would say, this change should make no impact for bidders if they have passed Grade 5 arithmetic and know how to top their bids up by the 15% BP.

As Sharon had mentioned, the impact will fall 100% onto the consignors as they will be ones footing the bill for this additional 15% sine this will be money that they will no longer be receiving.  Would any rational consignor with any degree of common sense be willing to pay the same amount of fees to CC for what they are offering in comparison to what HA is offering to their consignors.  hm  :screwy:

Just take a look at not only their auction catalogs, but the absence of any lot description for most of their books in comparison to the detailed hyped write-ups done on both HA and CL.  When I look at the auction descriptions for virtually all of the CC auction lots, it's pretty obvious that they expect the books to sell on their own relative to the push that HA and CL attempts to give to their offerings.  (shrug)

In addition, just take a look at the links which HA provides to the consignors for their books when it comes to their auction archives, GPA stats, CGC census, Overstreet guide valuations, etc. whereas the only links which CC provides are to competing copies of the same book available in their inventory which potential bidders for your book can buy or bid on instead of on your copy.  :facepalm:  :censored:

Heck, for providing them with this opportunity to promote all of the other available copies of the exact same book which they have in their back stock for potential bidders to buy, I thought they would have reduce the Seller's Premium, instead of adding a BP on top of the SP.   :devil:

Bottom-line:  No need to worry if buyers will continue to flock to their auctions because it probably won't even reach this point since they most likely won't have many books available at auction as most consignors will be going elsewhere.  hm  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
  2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

we will soon see if buyers consignors will continue to flock to their auctions.

Indeed. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

The quantity and dollar value of Hake's comic auctions is a fraction of the others.  They will be hard pressed to improve that with their overly complicated bidding and closing process.

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I wonder how many of these BP books are owned by metropolis/CC and are a means to get funds to the business and either Vincent or Steve in a different manner.  In the case of the western collection, I could see how you would want to charge a little extra given that you're doing more work for less return.  But on a book like this Bat 1 or a NM AS 3, those are the types of items that typically would be offered less of a premium to auction given that it's less work for more reward.  Nobody in their right mind would offer an extra 15% on a book like this to the auction house.  

10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
10 hours ago, woowoo said:

They are not adding 15% on Auction's. only a deal with some books  

yes, this FF 73 9.2 has no BP :banana:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/904935

10 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

And no images available :facepalm:

Yes, looks like they've got a total of 101 books loaded into their upcoming Event Auction so far.  

The first 98 seems to loaded including their cover scans and all of them have the 15% BP.  The last 3 including the FF73 still seems to be a work in progress as there are no scans loaded in yet.  Any bets that once the their scans are loaded in, they are going to finished the lot off with the 15% BP notation.  :taptaptap:  :censored: