• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Hey if @Gotham Kid or @Chicago Boy or @batman_fan wanted to sell in my Auction and he wanted 15% BP added to his books or he would go else where i would say send them to me. The collection is great and the auction house is going to make Bank so ya send me your books i do as you ask (thumbsu If he said No than you might see these books at HA with 20%.:preach: Money Money Money that is what it comes down 2 ^^ if your buying or selling its all abought the Money.

WooWoo in a dress hm  it just might work

32 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
9 hours ago, woowoo said:

Yes to get the books Vincent agreed to let the consignor get all his books with a 15% BP. Just doing what the seller ask for.

So if I consigned my entire Batman collection could I have Vinny wear a dress?  hm

lol

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Hi @Professor ChaosThat is what I was told. I have books in the auction, and if there was a 15% surcharge I would have pulled them, so when I saw this thread I reached out to the person I deal with, Rob, and he confirmed that it was just this one consignor. I was told by someone else who should know, that it was a one time deal to get this specific collection.

I have it in writing that my books will NOT have the surcharge now nor for any future consignments. I realize we never know what the future may bring, but I don't think it's in the current plans.

He also said that this had been explained in the thread, but honestly I have not looked back to check, I just saw the recent posts.

we were also told that airline baggage fees were just temporary so the airlines could recoup their losses after the 08-09 recession. i'm still waiting for those fees to be discontinued. i'm not sure i believe CC on this. that's why i think if the results in this auction disappoint them, it'd be good for collectors. but of course not for consignors like yourself. everyone bid up sharon's books please!! 

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

we were also told that airline baggage fees were just temporary so the airlines could recoup their losses after the 08-09 recession. i'm still waiting for those fees to be discontinued. i'm not sure i believe CC on this. that's why i think if the results in this auction disappoint them, it'd be good for collectors. but of course not for consignors like yourself. everyone bid up sharon's books please!! 

The 15% BP just means your actual bid is 15% higher than you bid.  It won't effect the final hammer price at all.

LOL...

I haven't really ever paid baggage fees. Southwest has none and I have a Jetblue credit card. If you have their credit card you get 2 full size bags free plus a carryon, I never take that much. If I fly on another airline, I could teach a course in  how to pack a carry-on;)

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The 15% BP just means your actual bid is 15% higher than you bid.  It won't effect the final hammer price at all.

its a surcharge. if i bid $1,000, i will actually have to pay $1,150. so it does affect the price. if there is no calculator, then it will also be a surprise surcharge for some people who can't read. finally there is no good reason to do this. if, as they claim. consignor wanted it, they could simply have reached an agreement regarding their consignment terms that worked for him, such as a flat 2 per cent fee, for example. it's not a smart move on the surface, so i tend to think it's a test for something else.

44 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

its a surcharge. if i bid $1,000, i will actually have to pay $1,150. so it does affect the price. if there is no calculator, then it will also be a surprise surcharge for some people who can't read. finally there is no good reason to do this. if, as they claim. consignor wanted it, they could simply have reached an agreement regarding their consignment terms that worked for him, such as a flat 2 per cent fee, for example. it's not a smart move on the surface, so i tend to think it's a test for something else.

I still don't see how it affects the price.  People will be what they think an item is worth.  Those that can't read will be in for a surprise but ultimately that is their problem.  It could very well be a test run for a future BP on all items, better to AB test it on some nice items.  I have no idea what it cost to run one of these auctions to understand what the profit margins are but I could see 10% sellers fee only being a bit tight depending on how efficient you have things set up.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  They have some real decent stuff I would love to snag but I still have that "sell 40 books for every one that I buy" thing going on.

17 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

The BP is only on books from that consignor. I was assured that the books I consigned would not be involved. They are going to clearly mark the books from the specific consignor.

From the layout of the auction pages which I saw, it looks pretty evvident that the books from this so-called Kentucky Collection with the 15% BP is right up at the front end of the upcoming Event Auction and would probably take up the first 2 days, with the rest of the books and everything else to come up on the following days after that.  hm

I don't believe there's going to be any possible way that you would end up confusing the auction lots with the BP from the ones with no BP added on top, unless your level of inteliigence is still down at the Grade 3 primary school level.  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

its a surcharge. if i bid $1,000, i will actually have to pay $1,150. so it does affect the price.

Ummmm..........................if you bid $1,000 on a particular book in one of these clearly marked lots from this Kentucky Collection, wouldn't you know right away that you are really bidding $1,150 like any other sane rational person would?  hm  :facepalm:

It's just like bidding on Heritage, if I bid $1,000 on a particular book, I know right away in my mind that I am really bidding $1,200 for the item in question.  If you don't know this, you definitely shouldn't be bidding as you really have nobody else to blame except yourself in this case here.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

16 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi sky, so are you saying that all the books in the next auction with a 15% bp are from the same consignor? If so does that mean it won't be a regular thing on all other books in the future?

15 hours ago, woowoo said:

Yes to get the books Vincent agreed to let the consignor get all his books with a 15% BP. Just doing what the seller ask for.

If I remember correctly, I believe they also had this same BP auction arrangement with the consignor for their Quick Draw Western Collection auction back a couple of months ago.  :gossip:

That was the first time that I saw it and probably where they got the idea from, as it apparently provides the consignor with a miniscule fractional percentage more to his take.  Definitely goes against their long time hyped mantra of NO BP on their auctions which you see on all of their ads.  I guess they could have gone with a slightly lower SP commission fee, but then again, that's definitely a slippery slope that they probably didn't want to start to go on.  hm  (shrug)

It's an interesting play. No sustained advantage on the consignor's part - if bidders read and can do simple math, then the seller will get the same net amount as if there was no BP.  Metro gets something, the consignment, either by pitching a largely imaginary benefit to the seller or by "capitulating" to a demand by the seller.  But Metro stands to lose something as well - goodwill on the vast number of bidders' part, because to the world who doesn't know of the backroom arrangement it looks and feels like they're getting 15% less for their money than before, as that 15% appears to be flowing into Metro's pocket and not towards the book.  It invites an unfavorable comparison between them and HA.

Isn’t their advertising slogan “what you bid is what you pay”?

They may need to update their ads and put an asterisk by that.. 

Anyway as a public service to those who need help with this I put together a team of people and developed  the following calculator...

Your bid = ($$What you want to pay$$)/(1.15)

Guaranteed to work every time, except  when bidding on HA.  I’ve got the term hard at work developing the HA specific calculator....

Edited by szav

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

It's an interesting play. No sustained advantage on the consignor's part - if bidders read and can do simple math, then the seller will get the same net amount as if there was no BP.  Metro gets something, the consignment, either by pitching a largely imaginary benefit to the seller or by "capitulating" to a demand by the seller.  But Metro stands to lose something as well - goodwill on the vast number of bidders' part, because to the world who doesn't know of the backroom arrangement it looks and feels like they're getting 15% less for their money than before, as that 15% appears to be flowing into Metro's pocket and not towards the book.  It invites an unfavorable comparison between them and HA.

They got the books to Auction so they are making money ( some money is always better than no money }

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, I believe they also had this same BP auction arrangement with the consignor for their Quick Draw Western Collection auction back a couple of months ago.  :gossip:

That was the first time that I saw it and probably where they got the idea from, as it apparently provides the consignor with a miniscule fractional percentage more to his take.  Definitely goes against their long time hyped mantra of NO BP on their auctions which you see on all of their ads.  I guess they could have gone with a slightly lower SP commission fee, but then again, that's definitely a slippery slope that they probably didn't want to start to go on.  hm  (shrug)

Lou Lou Lou See the source image

11 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

No, I believe your math is not correct here since according to Gator in his post below, the 15% BP goes to the consignor with CC now getting to kepp the 10% SP, but only applied against the so-called "hammer" amount.  In effect, this means that CC will end up with only 8.7% of the final total and the consignor receives 91.3% of the final total, as compared to the traditional 90%/10% spilt which was the standard in the past.  hm

At least, that's my rading from what Gator posted here back on Page 117:  (thumbsu

On 12/25/2020 at 3:21 AM, G.A.tor said:

I believe the consignor gets the 15% without paying 10% on the bp. So, if I’m understanding correctly, if winning bid is 1000, 100 goes to cc and consignor gets 1050

versus a 1150 winning bid where cc gets 115 and consignor gets 1035. 

in that respect , consignor might ask for the bp so they realize 1.5% more?

So, I guess CC might have to redo some of their ads to show that although most of their auctions will continue to have NO BP attached to the winning bids, those auctions with BP will now have NO SP attached to them anymore.  :ohnoez:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, there it is. A slightly lower commision fee. It may have even been a smarter play that way because the BP is going to cause a lot of people to just not bid at all. Changing the usual business protocol in order to obtain a consignor, who does he think he is Frankie Valli or some big shot?