• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Not terribly surprised. 2nd highest graded with the possibility of a press up to the highest grade of 9.6.  FMV of $310,000 plus that QES sticker has to be worth a $20K bump or so. LOL.

I would tend to agree and I think the possibility of an upgrade via either CPR or through even a simple straight resub is substantially higher for a book with a QES sticker (depending upon the reasons listed for the sticker of course hm  hm) than a book without the sticker.  (thumbsu

A bit harder to differentiate or tell with with one of those CVA stickers from CL because they are simply generic stickers that doesn't list the detailed reasons for the book to warrant having the sticker in the first place.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

26 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I've always rated it among the very top tier of GA keys, but apparently I've always been in a very very small minority.

Well, just maybe you might have yourself some company here in terms of the current high bidder and any other potential bidders who's willing to go higher than this on the book.  (thumbsu

Would you care to join this AS 3 party, as I am sure Vinnie is more than willing to give you a global phone call to personally welcome you if you do.   Maybe not Fishler himself, unless you are talking about an Action 1!!!  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

How can a book with such a big miswrap get a QES sticker?

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm pretty sure it's been looked at up and down and sideways

Tim, you've answered your own question. This is how they look at books when assigning QES stickers!

image.thumb.jpeg.acb70ad915bc0f566b68ecb82b2fb104.jpeg

16 hours ago, tth2 said:

AS 3 has always been massively undervalued.  It's the issue that features the very first superhero team.  It must've blown kids' minds when they saw it on the newsstand.

I've always rated it among the very top tier of GA keys, but apparently I've always been in a very very small minority.

yeah me too.  Its a special key book that has fallen out of favor.. But could be one of those that just needs a movie or TC series to jolt it back to life.  There's various shows being announced using the GA JSA heroes of late, so could be this year's hot sleeper book.   I had one that I sold to buy a bigger book long ago, so Im not chasing it, but we have seen this play out before.  More Fun 73, Sensation 1 etc

Edited by Aman619

3 hours ago, Aman619 said:
19 hours ago, tth2 said:

AS 3 has always been massively undervalued.  It's the issue that features the very first superhero team.  It must've blown kids' minds when they saw it on the newsstand.

yeah me too.  Its a special key book that has fallen out of favor.. But could be one of those that just needs a movie or TC series to jolt it back to life.  There's various shows being announced using the GA JSA heroes of late, so could be this year's hot sleeper book.   I had one that I sold to buy a bigger book long ago, so Im not chasing it, but we have seen this play out before.  More Fun 73, Sensation 1 etc

I would definitely tend to agree with both of you here as the All-Star title was once a must have in order to be called a serious GA DC collector, then fell out of favor for the longest while, and now seems to finally be making a comeback.  Kind of similar to the path that the More Fun comic book series has taken and which has seemingly been on the move back up for the past couple of years now.  Still lagging behind though would be the Adventure title as you can still pick up some of these issues at or even below condition guide.  (thumbsu

Nevertheless, it looks like this copy of All-Star 3 is already at a record setting price point and that is definitely good to see and will be nice to see where it finishes up at by the time it's all said and done next week.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Yes, the JSA characters have been making appearances in some of the TV shows like DC's Legends of Tomorrow and more so for Hourman as he will also be or has already appeared in Stargirl, along with rumours that he will also be getting his own spin-off TV show.  For sure, it sounds as though they have big plans for Hourman as Warners has already announced a big screen movie adaptation for this character as part of the growing DCEC movie universe:  :applause:

https://screenrant.com/hourman-movie-release-date-story-cast-dceu/

So, hopefully all of you already have your copies of Adventure 48 locked away in your personal collection, although for some reason the movie/TV related hype never ever seems to affect the DC comic book characters like how they do with the Marvel comic book characters such as the Venom movie and WandaVision TV series.  :p  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, hopefully all of you already have your copies of Adventure 48 locked away in your personal collection, although for some reason the movie/TV related hype never ever seems to affect the DC comic book characters like how they do with the Marvel comic book characters.  (shrug)  :(

Shhhhh. I (and my wallet) don't want to have to treat the D.C. characters like the Marvel characters. So keep quiet.

Since we are talking about books that have fallen out of favor, I think nothing can really beat some of these early pre-hero DC books like this beauty here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/862478

new9.22_1.jpg

Grrrrrrrr...................go figure that as it looks like somebody took out my high bid. (tsk)  Considering that it's the Edgar Church copy and the single highest graded copy out there, maybe I'll toss in another bid or two for this book.  I still remember back in the day when Overstreet's top of guide for these early books like this one here only went as high up as VF condition since he assumed no higher graded copies existed for some of these books. :preach:

Looks like top of guide now for this book is at $16K with the 9.0 condition level valuation at just over $11K, so not sure if I should go any higher since as we all know Overstreet is completely out of touch with the current marketplace.  Looks like this book here might already be past it's marketplace valuation, with its current bid price now at a stratospheric $625.  :devil:  :takeit:

Not exactly sure about the reason for this low price here, especially since I thought this marketplace was all about men in tights who wear their underwear on the outside.  From this cover here, is it not obvious that Dr. Occult is wearing nothing at all except for his underwear plus I guess a cape?  :blush:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, bpc3qh said:
7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, hopefully all of you already have your copies of Adventure 48 locked away in your personal collection, although for some reason the movie/TV related hype never ever seems to affect the DC comic book characters like how they do with the Marvel comic book characters.  (shrug)  :(

Shhhhh. I (and my wallet) don't want to have to treat the D.C. characters like the Marvel characters. So keep quiet.

Well, if you don't want us talking about the D.C. characters, then how about some of the Fox characters because that same story there also mentioned an upcoming Blue Beetle movie is in the works as part of the continuing expansion of the DCEU movie universe.  Here's a link to a more detailed story on this:  hm

https://www.thewrap.com/angel-manuel-soto-blue-beetle-latino-superhero-dc-warner-bros/

So, I guess boardies like @Straw-Man was ahead of the game when he acquired a pedigree copy of Mystery Men 1 along with the with the rest of the early MM run which features the original GA version of the Blue Beetle.   :cloud9: :applause:

Then again, maybe should have focused in on the various D.C. versions of the Blue Beetle from the CA onwards to the MA, since I highly doubt today's generation of deep pocketed crypto investors and NFT traders care anything at all about those oldy moldy smelly GA books that show up only once every few years.  Especially since they need to get their fix by throwing big dollars at readily available HG books that shows up with multiple copies in every single auction instead.  :devil:  :screwy: 

On 4/11/2021 at 7:12 AM, DanCooper said:
On 4/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, tth2 said:

On 4/10/2021 at 8:24 PM, tth2 said:

I'm pretty sure it's been looked at up and down and sideways

Tim, you've answered your own question. This is how they look at books when assigning QES stickers!

That's only because you money guys are looking at the penthouse version of the QES sticker books when it comes to this All-Star 3 here.  :cloud9:

For bottom feeders like me, we are stuck having to look at the bargain basement dungeon versions of the QES sticker books like this one here: :p  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820379

cra2.219.jpg

Well okay, probably not bargain basment anymore and might have clawed its way up to the 1st Floor as it has done almost a full triple up to $71 from its $26 price yesterday.  Looks like there's only 6 of these in the census with only the Church copy graded higher and I would assume locked away in some lucky collector's personal collection ever since 2003.  Like I had stated in one of my previous posts up above, it's rather kind of sad to see that this marketplace is so super hero centric focused.  And I guess this explains why this issue here with the 2nd appearance of the Owl is currently running at a higher price point as compared to where some of the other earlier highest graded issues in this run with even fewer slabbed copies are running at right now.  hm  :frown:

Not sure if this group of QES stickered Crackajacks are going to reach the upper floors of 4-figure territory where some of them were able to reach in recent HA and the just completed CL auctions, but probably not much chance of enjoying the $2,500 rather lofty top floor view which the Crackajack Funnies 39 in the last CL Auction was able to enjoy.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Will still be interesting to watch and wait to see what happens in the end though.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

9 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

His chest hair really brings the grade down

Well, that's only because it was graded by some guy instead of a member of the fairer sex who might just be interested in male chest hair and probably much more if he was younger and better looking.  lol  :takeit:

Well, except for that stress line on the spine of this copy here, it could just be like that Dell File Copy of Crackajack Funnies 9 that went from a CGC 9.0 all the way up to a CGC 9.8 after taking a short break for coffee at the CGC 9.6 rest area.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's only because it was graded by some guy instead of a member of the fairer sex who might just be interested in male chest hair and probably much more if he was younger and better looking.  lol  :takeit:

Well, except for that stress line on the spine of this copy here, it could just be like that Dell File Copy of Crackajack Funnies 9 that went from a CGC 9.0 all the way up to a CGC 9.8 after taking a short break for coffee at the CGC 9.6 rest area.  lol

That's chest hair? I thought it was a weird spider....ewwwww...

Don't you just love these last hour bidders as I just received 7 Outbid messages on my cell phone for the books which are closing later today.  :censored:

Actually, don't really mind them since it gives me lots of time to figure out what I am going to do and defintely a whole lot better than trying to go against those CL Hail Mary stratospheric bids that gets thrown in there with scant seconds left in an auction.  (thumbsu

At least, I still have 2 High bids with a safe comfortable margin for now and I'll guess we'll see if they hold up during their fun and raucous 3-minute extended bidding sessions.  :slapfight: :slapfight: :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

You definitely can't go wrong with these humongous early 120-pager squarebound Archie books and another one with the classic Archie love triangle, especially when they are extremely tough to find in grade as everybody loves to read them.  :luhv:

It's always good to buy up these books when the market furor is focused somewhere else and you can pick these up at relative bargain prices, as the market demand will eventually cycle back to them since the Archie franchise is still strong and growing in various media forms even today.  :applause:

The only Archie book that seem to generate some extended bidding in this go round here was the CGC 8.0 highest graded copy of Archie 3 here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/904096

arc1.2041_3.jpg

I believe this book moved up from somewhere around $5,600 up to the final $9K price point during the extended bidding session.  I was thinking that it might even move a bit higher into the $10K point, especially considering that it is the highest graded copy and supposedly scarce, but then I guess the clearly visible rusty staple and the presence of another lower graded copy in the same auction probably didn't help it.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You definitely can't go wrong with these early 100-pager squarebound Archie books and another one with the classic Archie love triangle, especially when they are extremely tough to find in grade as everybody loves to read them.  :luhv:

It's always good to buy up these books when the market furor is focused somewhere else and you can pick these up at relative bargain prices, as the market demand will eventually cycle back to them since the Archie franchise is still strong and growing in various media forms even today.  :applause:

The only Archie book that seem to generate some extended bidding in this go round here was the CGC 8.0 highest graded copy of Archie 3 here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/904096

arc1.2041_3.jpg

I believe this book moved up from somewhere around $5,600 up to the final $9K price point during the extended bidding session.  I was thinking that it might even move a bit higher into the $10K point, especially considering that it is the highest graded copy and supposedly scarce, but then I guess the clearly visible rusty staple and the presence of another lower graded copy in the same auction probably didn't help it.  hm  (shrug)

But that rusty staple :sick: