• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, after giving it some thought following @skypinkblu post yesterday, I figured it must have been a quality control issue with CGC in terms of putting the incorrect label on it.  :facepalm:

Good to see that CC was able to correct this labelling error and update their online scan before the auction gets into its final stage tomorrow.  (thumbsu

I noticed the scan of the "conserved" book was taken down for a few days.  Seems like a pretty high profile book for a mistake like that, but I guess it happens.

11 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I noticed the scan of the "conserved" book was taken down for a few days.  Seems like a pretty high profile book for a mistake like that, but I guess it happens.

Or they could have simply left it as that could be a portence or sign of things to come with that being just CGC's preliminary testing of their new label that got out by mistake.  lol

You just never know, especially when it comes to their ongoing shall we say "improvements" to their restoration and conservation definitions and their more than happy willingness to reholder your book for you with their new label, for an appropriate fee of course.  :devil:

All kidding aside, it was good to see that all parties involved was able to correct this error before the end of the auction tomorrow.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Or they could have simply left it as that could be a portence or sign of things to come with that being just CGC's preliminary testing of their new label that got out by mistake.  lol

You just never know, especially when it comes to their ongoing shall we say "improvements" to their restoration and conservation definitions and their more than happy willingness to reholder your book for you with their new label, for an appropriate fee of course.  :devil:

All kidding aside, it was good to see that all parties involved was able to correct this error before the end of the auction.  :applause:

I'd be lying if I wasn't leading down that thought path myself.  It's the pessimist in us I guess. :banana:

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since it's always good to be politically correct and I am an equal opportunity poster here as opposed to being a GA elistist here, it will be interesting to see where this copy of DD 1 finishes up at in only a few short hours from now as it has just crossed the $100K mark:  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/898203

Well, it looks like this copy of Daredevil 1 that they had in their auction finished up at the same $125K price point that the Northland pedigree copy had sold for at the end of March.  Not sure if it would have helped if they had gotten this Twin Cities copy reholdered into one of those new pedigree labels, especially since CC didn't even bothered to mentioned the pedigree status of the book in their entire 1-page catalog write-up.  hm  (shrug)

Wasn't quite able to match that White Page CGC 9.6 graded copy that Heritage sold for $150K right at the start of this month as that copy there looked absolutely blindingly white in comparison.  Of course, since that is a Heritage scan, as we all know, they would be able to turn even a dark black cover book into a blinding snow white cover book.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

Was just starting to go through the CC Event aution listings for today and although they have 3 rather stunning HG Flash Gordon's right on the first page, it's a bit too bad they dont't have a copy of this beauty here in this go round of the auction this time:  :frown:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, Four Color #190 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Dell, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages. Paul Norris contributes ...

Absolutely love the bright colors on this cover here and you certainly can't miss a bondage cover like this one here with Flash's beautiful girlfriend in her short short miniskirt.  Kind of reminds me of the equally bright and stunning cover for Famous Funnies 191 which I missed out on last year as it sold for huge multiples to condition guide that time:  :frustrated:  :luhv:   :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Famous Funnies #191 File Copy (Eastern Color, 1950) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-white pages....

From the looks of things for today, I imagine the highlight for the bidders with money is going to be where this book finishes up at tonight: :popcorn: :taptaptap: :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901543

tee2.615_3.jpg

Looks like it has finally moved up from the high $30K's where it had been resting for awhile and for now at least, has taken another pit stop at $53K.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I would pay $200 for this book, provided it came with a $150 coupon for a nice lunch.

Yeah, tell me about it as I thought the LCS owner was offering me $300 to take that fugly looking price of toxic doggie poo poo out to the trash bin to tossit for him when he handed it to me to take a look at.  :fear: :p

He must have thought I was a real loonie bin sucker to actually pay him $300 so that he could order me a copy direct right from Mirage for my personal collection.  doh!

Being the astute collector that I was back in the day, I decided to order one of those now surely worthless signed and limited hardcover edition of the Dark Knight book from him for a bargain basement price of only $40 instead.  :facepalm:  :mad:  :censored:  

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From the looks of things for today, I imagine the highlight for the bidders with money is going to be where this book finishes up at tonight: :popcorn: :taptaptap: :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901543

Looks like it has finally moved up from the high $30K's where it had been resting for awhile and for now at least, has taken another pit stop at $53K.  (thumbsu

Remember the good 'ole days of a week ago when this was just a $60K comic?

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I would pay $200 for this book, provided it came with a $150 coupon for a nice lunch.

Sorry Peter;  :sorry:

It looks like you came pretty close here, but no cigar as you just miss it by a tad here.  :baiting:

If you was only willing to dig a little deeper into your jeans to pull out a few more Benjamin's, it could have been all yours to take home.  lol  :takeit:

Wow, looks like they had pretty much the entire run of the Master of Kung-Fu series available in their Event Auction earlier this evening, with virtually all of them in uber HG CGC 9.8 graded condition.  :whatthe:   :cloud9:

It's a bit too bad that Gulacy who did the beautiful interiors for most of the early issues didn't do more than a few of the later cover artwork, because it's definitely hard to beat an absolutely stunning cover like this one here:  :luhv:   :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/897932

mas10.1143_2.jpg

Since I have always loved this cover because it appears very Bruce Lee like to me, I figured that I would give this one a shot as it probably wouldn't look too bad in one of the rooms in my house.  Was in on the bidding until it got too high for my taste and was rather surprised that it actually went as high as the $338 realized price.  Even more surprising was the fact that CGC didn't do their usual and knocked the grade way way down for that large fugly written scrawl across the front cover.  :fear:  :p

I probably would have been willing to bid in that rarified air space if it had been a truly clean book without that scrawled signature and anyways, figured that the minty fresh copy that I had cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS for only 35 cents way back in the day and which I still have will just have to do for now.  (thumbsu  :luhv: