• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I was surprised to see the brittle Sensation #1 sell for 50% more than the slightly higher grade Wonder Woman #1.

I was a little surprised by this as well. The label said all the interior wraps were split--I'm surprised that's allowed in 2.5. (A detached cover with the spine fully split gets you a 1.8 at best)

4 minutes ago, 10centcomics said:
26 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I was surprised to see the brittle Sensation #1 sell for 50% more than the slightly higher grade Wonder Woman #1.

I was a little surprised by this as well. The label said all the interior wraps were split--I'm surprised that's allowed in 2.5. (A detached cover with the spine fully split gets you a 1.8 at best)

Well, I guess this might simply be nothing more than just another case of CGC's consistency when it comes to the inconsistent application of their undisclosed, but constantly shifting grading standards.  :devil:

48 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From the looks of things for today, I imagine the highlight for the bidders with money is going to be where this book finishes up at tonight: :popcorn: :taptaptap: :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901543

Looks like it has finally moved up from the high $30K's where it had been resting for awhile and for now at least, has taken another pit stop at $53K.  (thumbsu

Remember the good 'ole days of a week ago when this was just a $60K comic?

Fools <==      ==> Money

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Remember the good 'ole days of a week ago when this was just a $60K comic?

Yeah, looks like they had no problem beating the record setting price point of $66K for a CGC 9.6 graded copy of this book set just 2 weeks ago at the recent Heritage Signature Auction.  :whatthe:

Appeared like they had 2 rather aggressive crypto like bidders who dragged it from something like $56,200 all the way up to the $88K mark by the time it was all said and done.  :golfclap:

I guess those so-called "investors" who had brought into the Rally Road CGC 9.8 graded copy of this book near the end of last year are now probably having the last laugh on the boardies who were deriding them for their piece meal purchase of this book here.  hm  :whistle:

Edited by lou_fine

Well, so much for my well laid out plan to pick up a copy of the stunning Flash Gordon Four Color 190 with the beautiful and sexy Dale Arden on the cover for a steal whenever a nice copy comes along:  :cry:  :cry:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820394

fou1.8256.jpg

Definitely disappointing and bad news for potential buyers going forward as the above copy here sold for a rather astounding $2,725 or more than 15X top of guide and it's not even the highest graded copy, with the other 2 Flash Gordon's in this auction nipping right behind at its heels. :frustrated: :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/9/2021 at 9:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Okay, was flipping through their auction catalogue and noticed a couple of high demand and hot to trot GA classic cover books here, as follows: :cloud9:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908049

mas2.46.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908050

mas2.47_2.jpg

Aren't these normally low 5-figures books now in recent auctions in grades even starting from CGC 3.0?  Not sure if I am remembering this correctly or not, but wasn't Mask 1 the first to explode in prices a few years ago, and more recently, Mask 2 has been doing a big time catch up with additional copies coming into the marketplace?   Maybe I'll also post this question over in the Mask thread since the Mask aficionados might know more about these two books here. hm 

Will be interesting to see where these 2 finish up and see which one grabs the gold medal in terms of higher price point.  If Mask 1 is going to do it, I guess it's going to have a bit of running to do to catch up since it's currently stuck at only $3,850 while Mask 2 has already lapped it sitting at a nice fat $8,150.  And guess what people.............no Buyer's Premium on these 2 books for the mathematically challenged, so you pay what you bid.  :banana:

Will definitely be interesting to watch the race between these 2 and see what happens in the end. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Well, looks like we got a clear and decisive winner here and the expected answer to my question in my previous post up above as the CGC 3.0 graded copy of Mask 1 finished up at only $9,600 while the CGC 4.0 graded copy of Mask 2 below finished well in front at $14,754:  :whatthe:   :golfclap:

mas2.47_2.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

So was I, brittle with all the pages split as a 2.5? I was thinking 1.0. I love Wonder Woman, but all the pages split?

OK, I am backing away, lol..before I repeat myself again...

On 4/13/2021 at 6:24 AM, batman_fan said:

I won a book on the 1st night :banana:

Love the earlier Archie artwork.

I also love the early Archie art style, and you certainly can't argue when you have one of these squarbound 120-pagers like your Archie Annual #6.  :applause:

Speaking of these Archie 120-pagers, it looks like the lucky winner of this book here either got himself an absolute steal of a deal or some of the Archie books have really cooled off as compared to where they were several years ago:  hm  (shrug)

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908195

arc11.240.jpg

I made the mistake of not paying any attention and hence missing this book as I assumed that it would be out of my price range, and yet very surprisingly for a highest graded Northford pedigree copy of a #1 Archie issue, it managed to come in under the radar for some lucky bidder at a bargain basement price of only $1,551 or well under the top of guide price of $1,950.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Not sure if it's my eyes or is that hopefully just a lot of wear on the outside of the slab, because all of that scuffing certainly does not make that copy look that appealing at all relative to its assigned CGC 9.2 grade.  It might have helped the final price if the consignor had sent it back into CGC to get it reholdered into one of those new glossy mylar back slabs with the new pedigree label to boot, as I am sure the book would have presented much nicer if that had been done.  :facepalm:

Not sure if the interest or demand for the Archie books have dropped to this extent since I remember bidding on the other CGC 9.2 graded copy back about 15 to 20 years ago when top of guide was approaching $1K at the time.  If I remember correctly, it was the single highest graded copy at the time and I guess before this Northford copy got graded and slabbed.  hm

I guess it must have been in my younger and more foolish days when I was willing to open my wallet a bit wider because I remember being the underbidder for that copy when it sold for something like $1,250 or $1,300 on eBay.  I also remember being willing to bid that loonie bin high for the book only because it was just an absolutely stunning copy (from the scan of course) with those solid and strong deep blue and red colors that just popped and dripping right off the cover.  :cloud9:

It's too bad the copy here didn't do so well in this go round because I certainly feel for the consignor, especially since it sold for $2,999 the first time in a prior CC Event Auction back in December of 2015, even with that same fugly looking scuffed holder.  :p  :(

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like we got a clear and decisive winner here and the expected answer to my question in my previous post up above as the CGC 3.0 graded copy of Mask 1 finished up at only $9,600 while the CGC 4.0 graded copy of Mask 2 below finished well in front at $14,754:  :whatthe:   :golfclap:

mas2.47_2.jpg

Someone lost a good chunk of change on this one...it sold last fall for over $16K:

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1415033

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, looks like they had pretty much the entire run of the Master of Kung-Fu series available in their Event Auction earlier this evening, with virtually all of them in uber HG CGC 9.8 graded condition.  :whatthe:   :cloud9:

It's a bit too bad that Gulacy who did the beautiful interiors for most of the early issues didn't do more than a few of the later cover artwork, because it's definitely hard to beat an absolutely stunning cover like this one here:  :luhv:   :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/897932

mas10.1143_2.jpg

Since I have always loved this cover because it appears very Bruce Lee like to me, I figured that I would give this one a shot as it probably wouldn't look too bad in one of the rooms in my house.  Was in on the bidding until it got too high for my taste and was rather surprised that it actually went as high as the $338 realized price.  Even more surprising was the fact that CGC didn't do their usual and knocked the grade way way down for that large fugly written scrawl across the front cover.  :fear:  :p

I probably would have been willing to bid in that rarified air space if it had been a truly clean book without that scrawled signature and anyways, figured that the minty fresh copy that I had cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS for only 35 cents way back in the day and which I still have will just have to do for now.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

So you would have bid higher if it was a CGC Signature Series book without a signature?

Edited by MrBedrock

31 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

For those that don't get by the EC thread too often here's some EC wins from the CC auction..........

Tales From The Crypt #40 8.5 White Pages One of my top 5 EC Covers + used in senate hearings+anti-comic editorials

image.png.b6ba863d86efc4eb3d683e4628b90428.png

This is an absolutely stunning and gorgeous detailed underwater cover and I am sure it must have cost you a pretty penny to get one in this condition.  :applause:

6 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Question about the scans I just posted.  Do you think the shade on the Shock#9, VOH#27, and somewhat on Weird Fantasy #17 are due to CC over adjusting on the scanners?  A lot of their books seem to have an orange tint in this auction.

I'm pretty sure it's the imaging - not the book. Compare the blue label of Shock #9 with the blue label of Crypt #40 and you'll see the difference.

Just now, lou_fine said:

This is an absolutely stunning and gorgeous detailed underwater cover and I am sure it must have cost you a pretty penny to get one in this condition.  :applause:

Thanks Lou!  Yeah, it wasn't cheap, at least by my standards.  But, after missing out on one I really wanted the night before I promised myself I wouldn't let this one get away.

25 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Question about the scans I just posted.  Do you think the shade on the Shock#9, VOH#27, and somewhat on Weird Fantasy #17 are due to CC over adjusting on the scanners?  A lot of their books seem to have an orange tint in this auction.

You can tell how hard they juke the scans just from how electric the blue is on the CGC label.  I've never seen a CGC label look like that in hand.:banana:

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, so much for my well laid out plan to pick up a copy of the stunning Flash Gordon Four Color 190 with the beautiful and sexy Dale Arden on the cover for a steal whenever a nice copy comes along:  :cry:  :cry:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820394

fou1.8256.jpg

Definitely disappointing and bad news for potential buyers going forward as the above copy here sold for a rather astounding $2,725 or more than 15X top of guide and it's not even the highest graded copy, with the other 2 Flash Gordon's in this auction nipping right behind at its heels. :frustrated: :censored:

What's even crazier (is it?!?!?!) is that a CGC 9.6 sold for under $800 just back on Feb 20th on eBay.....

image.thumb.png.7f4a589ee862716a79f5b91e56420fab.png

3 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

What's even crazier (is it?!?!?!) is that a CGC 9.6 sold for under $800 just back on Feb 20th on eBay.....

image.thumb.png.7f4a589ee862716a79f5b91e56420fab.png

I was watching the book in the CC auction.  Stayed below $100 until the last few hours.  I think I put in a small bid at one time just because I love the cover.