• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

well, in a positive light, the fact that CC auction site wasn't built to handle buyers premiums supports the idea that this was never in Metros plans, and was sprung on them by the Kentucky consignor, no?

Well, not just the Kentucky Collection consignor though, as they also had this same 15% BP in place for the Quick Draw Western Auction which they just did earlier this year.  :gossip:

I expect we will be seeing more of this going forward because if you take a look at some of the lots during the first 3 days of the auction, a very small sampling of them (probably from a couple consignors) also had the 15% BP in there.  The one which I noticed because I was bidding on them for awhile were both of the New Book of Comics and by just flipping through their auction catalogue, also a couple copies of Doctor Strange 169, a few copies of trange Tales 110, a Showcase 30, and the handful of movie props that they did have in this auction here.  meh

So, my guess is that this is definitely not going to be the last that we will be seeing of this.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

49 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

I know this has been discussed but who gets the 15%? If its going to the consignor then maybe he did spring it on them and they agreed in order to get the books. If it isn't going to the consignor then it's very unlikely it was his doing. Or maybe they are splitting it in some way. Either way I hope we have seen the last of it.

I believe @G.A.tor already answered this question for us on Christmas Day as per his post below which can be found back on Page 117 of this thread here:  :gossip:

On 12/25/2020 at 3:21 AM, G.A.tor said:

I believe the consignor gets the 15% without paying 10% on the bp. So, if I’m understanding correctly, if winning bid is 1000, 100 goes to cc and consignor gets 1050

versus a 1150 winning bid where cc gets 115 and consignor gets 1035. 

in that respect , consignor might ask for the bp so they realize 1.5% more?

The only thing I don't like is that it can get quite messy and possibly confusing if some of the consignors wants to have the BP added on top while others do not.  You'll then end up with an auction running live where some lots have them while others do not.  O.o

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I believe @G.A.tor already answered this question for us on Christmas Day as per his post below which can be found back on Page 117 of this thread here:  :gossip:

The only thing I don't like is that it can get quite messy and possibly confusing if some of the consignors wants to have the BP added on top while others do not.  You'll then end up with an auction running live where some lots have them while others do not.  O.o

Yes I kind of remember that. Only if that's the case the consignor is actually making 5% more nor 1.5% . I think, I don't know. 

3 hours ago, gpanalysis said:

We'll have no problem in including the BP - CC share their data with us. 

It makes sense you’d have a presence here on the boards, but until your post just now, I had no idea. 

I feel like I’ve just spotted a unicorn 

11 hours ago, Aman619 said:

do their listed sale prices include the 15%??  or the highest bid?

The listed sale prices are the highest bid.  They do not include the 15% buyer's premium, i.e. Batman #1 8.0 is listed as sold for 1.05 million but was ~1.2 mil with BP.

Edit: Oops, I'm wayyyy behind. Forgot to refresh page.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA
update

1 hour ago, walclark said:

I was able to pick up a couple of pedigrees.  It helps if you go after books in a title that no one else cares about and that features a character that has faded into obscurity.  These will probably take off when the Don Winslow movie gets the green light. 

donwinslow2.thumb.jpg.01a182a1346cd071bc32832e8f7448fb.jpg

donwinslow18.thumb.jpg.9a5a5187448d870d40f8a93804f8670a.jpg

Ouch! I hate it when someone nips me in the Solomons.  Great looking Books!

1 hour ago, Hoarder said:

Anyone know what the Batman 44, 49, and 73 ended up hammering for?

Ummmm...............as I had just posted on another thread in the General Comics Forum, you simply have to go into their auction archives as follows:  :gossip:

Yes, pretty much the same way you would do a search on the HA archives. :gossip:

You simply have to type in the name of the book that you are looking for, hit the drop down box and change it from Comics to their historical archives by selecting Sold, then hit the Submit button.  All of their previous auction results and non-auction sales for that particular book will then show up sorted in order of condition grade, whereas the HA archives is sorted by dollar value. :applause:

Only thing to note is that the title of the book has to be exactly as per their database which can sometimes be frustrating.  For example, you have to type in “Master of Kung-Fu 64” with the hyphen and not just simply “Master of Kung Fu 64” without the hyphen. :pullhair:

The one good thing about their new website is that their auction archives are updated pretty much “real time” even as their auctions are running live.  Much better than their old website which seeming appeared to be done manually as they were often a few Event Auctions behind or just missing a whole ton of books. (thumbsu

As for the CL auction, they are telling you to go f*** yourselves.  :censored: :censored: lol

If you do this you'll find that the Bat 44 hammered at $4,300 which really means a final auction price of $4,945 once you add in the 15% BP.  Same approach shows the Bat 49 hammering at $8,955 or sold for actually $10,298.25 once you add in the 15% BP.  Now, you can go do the one for Bat 73 yourself.  :baiting:

From these rather stratospheric prices, it would appear that the market for Joker Batman covers are still buring red hot.  (thumbsu

One thing I don't like is the fact that the Selection Box keeps resetting back to the default Comics option instead of remaining on the Sold option after every search, which can be a bit of pain at times.  :frustrated:

Edited by lou_fine

23 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:
23 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

What's even crazier (is it?!?!?!) is that a CGC 9.6 sold for under $800 just back on Feb 20th on eBay.....

image.thumb.png.7f4a589ee862716a79f5b91e56420fab.png

Expand  

I was watching the book in the CC auction.  Stayed below $100 until the last few hours.  I think I put in a small bid at one time just because I love the cover.

Have you guys even bothered to check your calendar lately because we are now well into April and no longer back in the Stone Ages of February.  :makepoint:

Or are you thinking back to your childhood memories of those long ago and sadly now bygone days of yore way way back in February when you was sitting on your Grandpappy's :preach: big legs while he would ruminate you with those cherished and much treasured stories about buying XM 94 for only $15K, GSXM 1 and CGC 9.6 graded copies of TMNT 1 for only into the $20K's, or dare we even dream of, but the holy grail of all  (worship)  (worship)  (worship) being able to pick up a copy of Transformers 1 in the loonie bin box for only a buck?  lol lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/14/2021 at 9:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, so much for my well laid out plan to pick up a copy of the stunning Flash Gordon Four Color 190 with the beautiful and sexy Dale Arden on the cover for a steal whenever a nice copy comes along:  :cry:  :cry:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820394

23 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

What's even crazier (is it?!?!?!) is that a CGC 9.6 sold for under $800 just back on Feb 20th on eBay.....

image.thumb.png.7f4a589ee862716a79f5b91e56420fab.png

On a more serious note though, did that highest graded copy even sell for $799.99 since that appears to be the initial BIN price and it is then crossed out which means a even slightly lower Best Offer price might actually have been accepted on the book.  hm  (shrug)  :takeit:

I have never understoodthe rationale for a seller to offer a high quality book like this one here on what is basically nothing more than a global flea marketplace where all of the bottom feeders go to do their shopping.  Especially when most people with the deeper pockets are probably not willing to go onto a site like eBay every single day to search through millions upon millions of worthless drek to find that one piece of treasure that they might just be looking for to add into their collection.  :gossip:

Makes even less sense from a pure numbers point of view since the eBay and PayPal fees to sell the item is actually more than the fees for either CC or CL, and on top of that, you have to do all of the work yourself in terms of listing, shipping, and dealing with all customer related issues.  From a pure customer targeting point of view, wouldn't a high profile comic book auction site also be much more suitable since it would be filled with quality eyeballs willing to dig deep deep into their pockets for quality books exactly like this, as opposed to bottom feeders looking for the lowest prices possible who would never ever think of spending anywhere close to 4-figures for a book like this in the first place.  hm  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

On a more serious note though, did that highest graded copy even sell for $799.99 since that appears to be the initial BIN price and it is then crossed out which means a even slightly lower Best Offer price might actually have been accepted on the book.  hm  (shrug)  :takeit:

I have never understoodthe rationale for a seller to offer a high quality book like this one here on what is basically nothing more than a global flea marketplace where all of the bottom feeders go to do their shopping.  Especially when most people with the deeper pockets are probably not willing to go onto a site like eBay every single day to search through millions upon millions of worthless drek to find that one piece of treasure that they might just be looking for to add into their collection.  :gossip:

Makes even less sense from a pure numbers point of view since the eBay and PayPal fees to sell the item is actually more than the fees for either CC or CL, and on top of that, you have to do all of the work yourself in terms of listing, shipping, and dealing with all customer related issues.  From a pure customer targeting point of view, wouldn't a high profile comic book auction site also be much more suitable since it would be filled with quality eyeballs willing to dig deep deep into their pockets for quality books exactly like this, as opposed to bottom feeders looking for the lowest prices possible who would never ever think of spending anywhere close to 4-figures for a book like this in the first place.  hm  doh!

I can't comment from a seller's point of view as I don't know all details around eBay fees vs. various auction house fees. But as a buyer, eBay is just another channel to look for books. I haven't had a negative experience with it and I've picked up numerous mega-keys and smaller books from it. There are many respected sellers who use the platform and run regular auctions. I also set up search alerts for books I'm looking for. I do see lots of aspirational (i.e. outrageous) pricing with the BINs but I can filter that out and look for auction listings. Raw books are risky as grading can be all over the place but again, you can find sellers you trust or just buy slabbed books. I'm not trying to shill for eBay here, but just pointing out that I use it alongside all the other channels and you can stumble upon some good deals. 

Lou, looks like it actually sold for $625.

IMG_1565 3.JPGI

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

1 hour ago, 10centcomics said:

I haven't had a negative experience with it and I've picked up numerous mega-keys and smaller books from it. There are many respected sellers who use the platform and run regular auctions.

Hmmmmm...........................hm  hm

On 4/14/2021 at 9:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, so much for my well laid out plan to pick up a copy of the stunning Flash Gordon Four Color 190 with the beautiful and sexy Dale Arden on the cover for a steal whenever a nice copy comes along:  :cry:  :cry:

So, are you trying to tell me it's not too late and I just might be able to pick up a HG copy of Four Color with the beautiful Dale Arden bondage cover for a steal of a deal February prices!!!  :wishluck: :whee:  :banana:

Then again, only if I am extremely lucky (which I am usually am NOT :cry:) and remember to check on eBay on a regular and constant basis hoping against hope.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :censored: