• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,123 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

This got me to thinking, when is Flash Gordon's first appearance in Comic Books?  I know he appeared in comic strips as early as 1934, but when was his first comic appearance?  Was it Four Color 173??

NVM.  I found it King Comics #1 published in 1936..........

image.thumb.png.b46d3895fffab0baefce0234f008deab.png

40 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

This got me to thinking, when is Flash Gordon's first appearance in Comic Books?  I know he appeared in comic strips as early as 1934, but when was his first comic appearance?  Was it Four Color 173??

No, not Four Color 173 as you would have missed it by a few years since the Overstreet guide indicates Feature Books 25 to be Flash Gordon's first all-inclusive FULL FEATURE appearance in 1941 and then followed by the stunning red colored FC 10 in 1942, which can be seen here:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Four Color #10 Flash Gordon - Mile High Pedigree (Dell, 1942) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Interesting to note that both Feature Books 25 and Four Color 10 were once ranked very very high in terms of Overstreet's most valuable books when the first price guide came out.  If you have any problems sleeping at night, you can watch this YouTube video and at the 1:16 mark (if you haven't already fallen asleep by then, that is zzz lol), you'll notice that both of these books are tied in the #9 position as being the most valuable books in Good condition in the entire world at that time.  Not only that, it is tied with a bunch of other books that you might have also equally never heard of like All-Star 3, Flash 1, and just a big $5 behind Cap 1 all alone in 8th position, or a much bigger $15 behind Batman 1.  :whatthe:   :takeit:   :takeit:

Now, just imagine if you was actually astute and lucky enough to have brought that Good condition Four Color 10 at guide in 1970 for only $85, you would now be able to live out your retirement in luxury by cashing out and reselling it 50 long years later at today's current Good condition guide price of a huge and highly profitable $88.  :tonofbricks: :censored: :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

32 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

NVM.  I found it King Comics #1 published in 1936..........

image.thumb.png.b46d3895fffab0baefce0234f008deab.png

That's excellent detective work on your part and it should be noted that King Comics #1 was tied in the #6 position in Overstreet's most valuable books in Good condition in that YouTube.video which I just posted in my previous post up above.  (thumbsu

Now, let me think about this a bit as I really really need to concentrate hard here to try to figure out which book did better in the end..........this King Comics 1 or that other book which you might not have heard of which was tied with it in the #6th spot, namely Batman 1.  hm  hm  :pullhair:

It just gets so darned frustrating and you just feel like pulling your hair right out  :pullhair:  :pullhair: when you can't figure out the answers to these complicated questions like this one here.  lol 

:takeit: :takeit: , the other book that is, NOT King Comics 1 although that'll also do.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, woowoo said:

unrestored or restored ? My copy was vg/fine in the 80s unrestored had Mark Wilson restore to an 8.5. The copy on top right was it when it was unrestored. Than a scan from the 90's now wish i left it alone 

Edit just thinking I think i kept those 2 Bat 1's to sell and Mark was restoring my 3rd copy so none of those 2 where the copy's i had restored. I did have a lot of Batman 1's back than since they where all over next two Action1 Detective 27 those 2 where always hard to get.

h1.jpg

Batman-1.jpg

My copy is unrestored. Has the covers detached from the interior, but not split.  Those are some nice books you had back in the day!  At least you have some great memories you'll always have back then of your books. 

40 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

My copy is unrestored. Has the covers detached from the interior, but not split.  Those are some nice books you had back in the day!  At least you have some great memories you'll always have back then of your books. 

Had to keep getting more books . Buy cheap sell high repeat 1000 times never stops :banana:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Interesting to note that both Feature Books 25 and Four Color 10 were once ranked very very high in terms of Overstreet's most valuable books when the first price guide came out.  If you have any problems sleeping at night, you can watch this YouTube video and at the 1:16 mark (if you haven't already fallen asleep by then, that is zzz lol), you'll notice that both of these books are tied in the #9 position as being the most valuable books in Good condition in the entire world at that time.  Not only that, it is tied with a bunch of other books that you might have also equally never heard of like All-Star 3, Flash 1, and just a big $5 behind Cap 1 all alone in 8th position, or a much bigger $15 behind Batman 1.

Knowing how (in)accurate Overstreet is now for the 5th - whatever number most valuable books, why should we believe it was accurate back then?

In 30 years, people will be talking about how this year AA16 was more valuable than Bat 1, and wish they could go back in time and buy one for guide now.

10 hours ago, BuyTheRedCar said:

Don Winslow was sure a snappy dresser going into combat. So confident in his double breasted dress uniform, complete with tie and dress shoes. I guess he wanted to be ready for an impromptu gala later in the evening.

lol  Yeah, that cover cracks me up! 

Well, looks like Metro/CC is slowly starting to move down the comic book food chain with their almost weekly announcements now.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

First, it was the record breaking sale of the Action 1 for $3.25M which was then followed by the 2 sales of DD 1 at $250K and another for $125K.  (thumbsu

And now for this week, we get the announcement for the sale of a CGC 8.5 graded copy of Venus 19 for $52,500, and from the attached photo, with Vinnie seemingly drunkily ecstatic about it and ready for another special bottle of wine to celebrate the sale with:  :D  :applause:

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?ArticleID=251030

Looks like they really do need to update their auction archives for all of these brokered deals whereby they are the ones putting the buyers and sellers together, or are these not considered to be official transactions from a regular sales point of view?  hm  (shrug)

5 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

why should we believe it was accurate back then?

Denounce yourself. Twice. H8ter. :sumo:

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Knowing how (in)accurate Overstreet is now for the 5th - whatever number most valuable books, why should we believe it was accurate back then?

In 30 years, people will be talking about how this year AA16 was more valuable than Bat 1, and wish they could go back in time and buy one for guide now.

Being a former sports card collector Overstreet like Beckett was most likely the only game in town as far as pricing.  If it were anything like sports cards you would have great difficulty finding anyone to give you "book price" for what you had back then as opposed to selling over "book price" today. The internet changed this dramatically as people were able to find items that were once considered rare in the hobby quite easily and printed price guide books were in my opinion were rendered obsolete. The "price" has always been what someone is willing to pay.

On 4/15/2021 at 1:52 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

For those that don't get by the EC thread too often here's some EC wins from the CC auction..........

Tales From The Crypt #40 8.5 White Pages One of my top 5 EC Covers + used in senate hearings+anti-comic editorials

image.png.b6ba863d86efc4eb3d683e4628b90428.png

Vault of Horror #27 CGC 7.0 White Pages Another Cover I really Like.

image.png.499a6411d7490279468685064dd9ff39.png

Weird Fantasy #17 CGC 6.0 OW-W Pages. Ray Bradbury Adaptation with that classic dinosaur cover.

image.png.bc3f2e25eeed29a6803d261ff7d46061.png

Shock Suspenstories #9 CGC 5.0 Cr-OW Pages. Another Bradbury Adaptation with an awesome cover.

image.png.c632917bcaaa1e3709a66f8a494d5595.png

Great pick-ups!!!

8 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I picked up this little friend.  Been looking for him for quite awhile.  The paper quality is less than what I usually look for but with this book, an exception had to be made.  For me, this is the Planet 71 of the Jungle run.

jun1_1784.thumb.jpg.678f618d5ac2270749fb60a1a3fc57f7.jpg

Fantastic pickup of an absolutely gorgeous classic action pack jungle cover with close up shots of the 2 main characters along with the majestic lion attacking in all its glory.  :applause:

Not sure if it's because it's a Friday night, but I would have expected some of these final Jungle Comics at the end of their long run to have gone for a lot more like what seems to the case with the final issues when it comes ot the other Fiction House runs like Planet and Jumbo.  Especially in light of the fact that these last few issues of Jungle generally have only a small handful of copies slabbed to date, with the perfect example being this copy here:  :luhv:   :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901414

jun1.1813.jpg

Although this cover is clearly not as classic as the Jungle 159, it's still a beauty with its array of bright colors and it's definitely hard to beat an action pack jungle bondage cover, especially one with only 4 unrestored copies slabbed to date and yet sold for what seems to be a relative bargain price of only $105 plus the 15% BP.  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

Looks like the final issue in the Jungle run sold for a bit more money at $268 plus the 15% BP, although this White Page copy here is the 2nd highest graded copy out of a total of only 8 copies slabbed to date so far and was also given a higher scarcity rating by Gerber in his Scarcity Index which he seems to have done with all of the final last issue in the various Fiction House titles:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901411

jun1.1810.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

My two wins.  That Jumbo 17 was a dogfight, but it looks so. dang. good.  The Flash is one of the tougher underwater books to get, from my experience anyway.

fla1.1648.jpg

jum1.1838_1.jpg

:applause: I'm really enjoying seeing the pickups! 

Great grabs all around!