• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
31 minutes ago, GoldenAgeAddict said:

What did the All Select 1 end at?

$47k or thereabouts. The book was strapped to a missile at the end

I guess it must have been this copy here since it had a whopping total of 45 bids on the book by the time it was all said and done:  :whatthe:   :applause:

all1.203_2.jpg

Most definitely a very strong price on a classic Shomburg cover which some have called one of his best WWII covers.  This book was on fire a few years ago and then I got the impression that it was taking a bit of a breather during the past couple of years.  Looks like this sale is probably an indication that the flames of the fire on this book has been fanned once again.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Then again, maybe it's due to the old label goodness as this copy was graded way back in 2003 before maximization of potential was even known in the comic book marketplace.  Maybe the bidders were thinking this copy might just be optimized enough to put it into the 9's and possibly even the highest graded copy, although I don't personally think so from looking at that top edge.  :devil:

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it must have been this copy here since it had a whopping total of 45 bids on the book by the time it was all said and done:  :whatthe:   :applause:

all1.203_2.jpg

Most definitely a very strong price on a classic Shomburg cover which some have called one of his best WWII covers.  This book was on fire a few years ago and then I got the impression that it was taking a bit of a breather during the past couple of years.  Looks like this sale is probably an indication that the flames of the fire on this book has been fanned once again.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Then again, maybe it's due to the old label goodness as this copy was graded way back in 2003 before maximization of potential was even known in the comic book marketplace.  Maybe the bidders were thinking this copy might just be optimized enough to put it into the 9's and possibly even the highest graded copy, although I don't personally think so from looking at that top edge.  :devil:

Not my favorite, Submariner is just way to small.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I'm just going to ask this, because I've always wondered but not sure I ever found out, but why is Subby drawn so big in the GA (at least on the covers)?  Was he actually big in the stories or was this just an artistic choice made for the covers?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere...I've just always been curious about this. 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

That's because you are only seeing the upper portion of his body which is already as large as the drawbridge itself.  :bigsmile:

I imiagine you would much rather prefer a cover like this one here where he is disproportionately larger than the boat itself:  lol

sub1.580a.jpg

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

That's because you are only seeing the upper portion of his body which is already as large as the drawbridge itself.  :bigsmile:

I imiagine you would much rather prefer a cover like this one here where he is disproportionately larger than the boat itself:  lol

sub1.580a.jpg

lol  :luhv:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

all1.203_2.jpg

looks like an easy 9.0/9.2 to me, fully expect to see a newly graded copy in the 9.x to surface soon enough

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The slightly restored Action 13 :x  sold for under 25K.

act1.15657.jpg

This appears to be an absolutely gorgeous looking copy, relative to its assigned CGC 8.0 grade, of the HTF and much in-demand Action Comics 13.  :luhv:

Looks like the PLOD label took a rreal big slice to the value of the book as it ended up selling for less than 25% of its condition guide value.  Looks like this book was slabbed back in 2014 before CGC changed their definition on what constitutes restoration.  Not sure if I can keep up with all of their confusing changes, but with a few minor   **ahem**  "takeaways", would this copy here be sitting in a much more acceptable Qualified slab and possibly be able to fetch quite a bit more money even if graded lower in the end?  (thumbsu  (shrug)

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

This appears to be an absolutely gorgeous looking copy, relative to its assigned CGC 8.0 grade, of the HTF and much in-demand Action Comics 13.  :luhv:

Looks like the PLOD label took a rreal big slice to the value of the book as it ended up selling for less than 25% of its condition guide value.  Looks like this book was slabbed back in 2014 before CGC changed their definition on what constitutes restoration.  Not sure if I can keep up with all of their confusing changes, but with a few minor   **ahem**  "takeaways", would this copy here be sitting in a much more acceptable Qualified slab and possibly be able to fetch quite a bit more money even if graded lower in the end?  (thumbsu  (shrug)

Do you think its possible to un-do the restoration on this one? 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

The AC13 was originally owned by @nearmint  who if I'm not mistaken had the cover married ( only work done )

As the PLOD label clearly shows for the Action 13, it looks like there was more work done on the book than just a married cover.  :gossip:

Interesting to note that if the work was limited to just a married cover and nothing more than that, the book would not receive the PLOD label as this type of work is no longer considered to be restoration.  Doesn't make much sense to me, especially since CGC still has marrried cover or married interior pages listed as  falling under the Restoration umbrella.  They really need to update their website for their Restoration Grading Scale, although it's quite possible they themselves are totally confused as to what activities falls under Restoration, what falls under Conservation, and what falls under Qualified.  O.o  :facepalm:  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine