• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,123 posts in this topic

Question about the Superman 1 3.0. If it sells really strong, do you guys think this weird “.5” that sold on eBay several months ago will have helped the 3.0 sell for a premium? I mean did this .5 that has the logos attached to a reprint cover really sell for roughly $47K? I believe it sold at auction twice before and went for $22K and then $27K.

4AB138A7-D276-48C0-96DA-55CD2D99D3D4.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

Superman 1 in 2020 all sold on Heritage.

March 3.5 288,000 

July 5.0 360,000 

September 4.5 348,000 

I don't see this 3.0 going for any more than around 300,000. I think it will probably sell for just a bit over it.  I doubt the weird sale in the weird auction of the weird .5 will have any bearing on it. Even if it that sale actually went through.

Edited by Professor Chaos

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Question about the Superman 1 3.0. If it sells really strong, do you guys think this weird “.5” that sold on eBay several months ago will have helped the 3.0 sell for a premium? I mean did this .5 that has the logos attached to a reprint cover really sell for roughly $47K? I believe it sold at auction twice before and went for $22K and then $27K.

4AB138A7-D276-48C0-96DA-55CD2D99D3D4.jpeg

That .5 not a consideration at all to a 3.0 bidder 

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

That .5 not a consideration at all to a 3.0 bidder 

Ok, makes sense. I just thought that was a super high sale for that ".5". Sorry, but I can't call it a legitimate .5, thus have to use the quotes lol. Regardless, I hear you that it's not affecting the 3.0 at all.

8 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Ok, makes sense. I just thought that was a super high sale for that ".5". Sorry, but I can't call it a legitimate .5, thus have to use the quotes lol. Regardless, I hear you that it's not affecting the 3.0 at all.

not one bit...I wasn't even aware of a .5 sale...doesn't enter the equation at all

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I think the Supe 1 needs a strong showing as this auction has been a let down sales wise from what I’ve seen here in the boards.  Might just be time of year though.  Never a good one for an auction. 

That seems to have been the case with the comic book auctions over the past several years. :(

Then I saw the results of the Heritage Auction last month and thought the abnormal 2020 pandemic year was going to be different with some of the sky high prices I saw in that auction there.  :whatthe:

This particular CC Auction here seems to be a bit weak on the GA side in terms of breadth as I seem to see quite a few runs of higher grade, but lower value common BA and CA books.  (shrug)

Then again, there's the odd exception like this HTF copy of a book that seldom comes to market which should go for a reasonable price given its condition:  :luhv:

sta2.575_1.jpg

Let's see if it's going to end up doing better tonight than what happened with the pre-Robin 'Tec books which definitely seem to underperformed on this particular go round.  hm  :taptaptap:

20 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

I think the main reason the Pre Robins kind of bombed was mostly because they weren't a very inspiring lot.  

I would tend to disagree with this point here since it's not everyday that you see CGC 6.0 and CGC 8.0 graded copies of pre-Robin 'Tec books available in an auction.  hm

Of course, there wasn't the usual copy of 'Tec 31 with its classic cover to bring in the crazed bidders, but on an overall basis, the prices definitely seem to be on the low side when compared to both expectations and other recent auction results. :(

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to disagree with this point here since it's not everyday that you see CGC 6.0 and CGC 8.0 graded copies of pre-Robin 'Tec books available in an auction.  hm

Of course, there wasn't the usual copy of 'Tec 31 with its classic cover to bring in the crazed bidders, but on an overall basis, the prices definitely seem to be on the low side when compared to both expectations and other recent auction results. :(

Ok. Well regarding the Blue Labels , the 33 was the Mogo copy that was described here as an eyesore. 35 which looked good didn't lose any ground but most would think it would have at least hit 30K, came close. The 36 also went low but then again it was said that the previous buyer overbid for it at I think 44K. and the 37 has large scribbling on it. Then again it does have White pages. You guys have been at this GA stuff way longer than me so if it wasn't the particular lot/appearance that kept them low I'm sure there are other reasons. Take care

There are factors already mentioned about those books (the early Detectives) and some others that were not but likely influenced bidding.

What cannot be expected is that with each auction key books are to always have a higher sale than the previous one.  That's just not possible nor realistic.

Edited by Gotham Kid

47 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

did anyone have issues submitting bids ?

Yes, but only because I fell asleep.  I am having no issues with the website and enjoy the clock reset with bids.  Wish eBay had that as an option.  On the other hand a lot of high sales don't happen because there isn't the need to put in crazy high snipe bids for the must have books.  Bidding is a lot more deliberate.

4 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Nice stuff ending tonight that will probably end where expected. 

Not sure what you mean by nice stuff unless you are referring to their extended runs of Metamorpho, Moon Knight, the Gold Key/Charleton Phantom's, and the ubiquitous Mystery Tales that seems to show up in every single one of their auctions during the past couple of years.  :p

Although I will admit they do seem to have a nice extended run of HG Showcase books and the ever popular original Silver Surfer run of books in there.  (thumbsu

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure what you mean by nice stuff unless you are referring to their extended runs of Metamorpho, Moon Knight, the Gold Key/Charleton Phantom's, and the ubiquitous Mystery Tales that seems to show up in every single one of their auctions during the past couple of years.  :p

Although I will admit they do seem to have a nice extended run of HG Showcase books and the ever popular original Silver Surfer run of books in there.  (thumbsu

Golden Age comics More Fun 54 9.0, More Fun 55 9.4, Mystic 5, National 13 and 16. Some Pep Comics. A few nice Planet comics. And a bunch of nice Startling Comics. Those are pretty nice. (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Golden Age comics More Fun 54 9.0, More Fun 55 9.4, Mystic 5, National 13 and 16. Some Pep Comics. A few nice Planet comics. And a bunch of nice Startling Comics. Those are pretty nice. (thumbsu

Yes, you definitely can't go wrong with those 2 More Fun's which you identified.  :luhv:

It's actually nice to see collector interest picking back up in the entire More Fun runas compared to a few years ago.  (thumbsu

Now, if only the same thing can happen with the Adventure run, or is that considered to be a bridge too far?  hm  :(