• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,158 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

The 55 9.4 wow, 88K. Same 9.4 that sold for 124K on CC in 2016. The other 9.4 also with White pages went for just 51K in 2017, also on CC. Some pretty big fluctuations on this book. 

Just wondering if you would have links for these 2 previous More Fun 55 sales results. ???

Asking since the only other CGC 9.4 graded copy of MF 55 selling on CC was the Nova Scotia copy for something like $60K back on February 29th of 2016:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/138237

mor1.488a.jpg

As for this Church Mile High copy of MF 55 which sold for $88K today, the sale that I saw for this exact same Church copy was back in August of 2013 when it sold for $47,800 at Heritage Auction:  :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-55-mile-high-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7079-91065.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B1%2F0%2F2%2F4%2F0%2F10240306%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Is it possible that you was possibly looking at another book when you noted the $124K auction sales result?  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just wondering if you would have links for these 2 previous More Fun 55 sales results. ???

Asking since the only other CGC 9.4 graded copy of MF 55 selling on CC was the Nova Scotia copy for something like $60K back on February 29th of 2016:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/138237

mor1.488a.jpg

As for this Church Mile High copy of MF 55 which sold for $88K today, the sale that I saw for this exact same Church copy was back in August of 2013 when it sold for $47,800 at Heritage Auction:  :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-55-mile-high-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7079-91065.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B1%2F0%2F2%2F4%2F0%2F10240306%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Is it possible that you was possibly looking at another book when you noted the $124K auction sales result?  (shrug)

Nice catch. Took me a few minutes to figure it out but I'm still not sure whats going on with this. I use gocollect as a reference for past sales. On their site it lists the 9.4 sale on CC on 8/31/2016 as 124,222. 

MORE FUN COMICS #55
Date Sold
Aug 31, 2016
Sale Price
$124,222.00
Grade
9.4 (NM)
Venue
ComicConnect
Venue ID
Sale Format
Auction
Grade Label
CGC Universal

But now when I click on the link for that auction from the gocollect site it takes me to yesterdays auction of 88k. Did it not sell for 124,222 in the past? this is the gocollect link for the book. Not sure if you need to be a paid member to view it
https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/107417
Edited by Professor Chaos

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yes it looks like gocollect is wrong. 5.99 a month for them to embarrass me on the internet. I looked it up in past auctions on CC and there was no 8/31/2016 sale at all. Thanks for catching that. 

Hey Kevin;

Okay, I checked into this and the $5.99 which you are paying for your GoCollect subscription might just be good to go.  It appears that the problem night be due more to the fact that CC's auction archives appears to be somewhat spotty in that they seem to be missing the odd book here and there for some reason.

I took a look at the Scoop article for that particular CC Auction and it clearly mentions the Church MF 55 selling for $124,222 as being one of the highlights of the auction:  (thumbsu

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?ArticleID=183887

Same thing with the link to the QualityComix website which you provided to me in your PM:  :golfclap:

https://www.qualitycomix.com/comic-price-guide/more-fun-comics/issue-55

So, it looks like this Church copy of MF 55 did indeed sell publicly on 3 separate occasions in the past 7+ years:

1)  For $47,800 on August 1st of 2013 at Heritage Auctions;

2)  For $124,222 on  August 31st of 2016 in a CC Event Auction; and

3)  For $88,000 on December 17th of 2020.

Looks like the first 2 have been captured on GoCollect so far to date with I expect the current sale to show up on their next update.  (thumbsu

Not sure why GoCollect is missing the Nova Scotia sale of MF 55 that took place for $60K back in February of 2016, but I guess that's then offset by the fact that the CC auction archives is missing the Nova Scotia sale for $51,007 that took place the following year in March of 2017.  Go figure that!!!  hm (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Kevin;

Okay, I checked into this and the $5.99 which you are paying for your GoCollect subscription might just be good to go.  It appears that the problem night be due more to the fact that CC's auction archives appears to be somewhat spotty in that they seem to be missing the odd book here and there for some reason.

I took a look at the Scoop article for that particular CC Auction and it clearly mentions the Church MF 55 selling for $124,222 as being one of the highlights of the auction:  (thumbsu

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?ArticleID=183887

Same thing with the link to the QualityComix website which you provided to me in your PM:  :golfclap:

https://www.qualitycomix.com/comic-price-guide/more-fun-comics/issue-55

So, it looks like this Church copy of MF 55 did indeed sell publicly on 3 separate occasions in the past 7 years:

1)  For $47,800 on August 1st of 2013 at Heritage Auctions;

2)  For $124,222 on  August 31st of 2016 in a CC Event Auction; and

3)  For $88,000 on December 17th of 2020.

Looks like the first 2 have been captured on GoCollect so far to date with I expect the current sale to show up on their next update.  (thumbsu

Not sure why GoCollect is missing the Nova Scotia sale of MF 55 that took place for $60K back in February of 2016, but I guess that's then offset by the fact that the CC auction archives is missing the Nova Scotia sale for $51,007 that took place later in March of 2017.  Go figure that!!!  hm (shrug)

Now that's some top notch sleuthing there! Great job solving The Mystery of the Missing 9.4. Seriously good work, Thanks. 

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

I've noticed that, for some reason, CC deletes its historical data regarding a book it is currently auctioning.  Has anyone else noticed that?

Yes.

At first I thought it was a bug but then I starting having same thinking as you Peter

I ran searches on all preRobins and only came up with hits on issues that were NOT being auctioned (ie 30,32 and 34)

Edited by Gotham Kid

17 hours ago, tth2 said:

So somehow ComicConnect are the one site that is defying the asset bubble of 2020? 

No, those books would have sold for a lot less if not for the bubble. No Batman/Superman definitely equals less fun when it comes to DC.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I've noticed that, for some reason, CC deletes its historical data regarding a book it is currently auctioning.  Has anyone else noticed that?

Yes.

At first I thought it was a bug but then I starting having same thinking as you Peter

I ran searches on all preRobins and only came up with hits on issues that were NOT being auctioned (ie 30,32 and 34)

FWIW, I am not sure if this is actually being done intentionally by CC or simply the fault of their lousy IT guys who came up with their so-called website improvement.  (shrug)

Especially since it appears to be pretty random with books like Action 13 which had only a couple of auction results yesterday and yet if you check today, seems to have everything in there.  Then you check Action 10 and it's clearly missing some of their big sales results which makes it kind of strange that an auction site would want to hide there blowout sales results.  :(

Same with books like Detective 38 which seems to have possibly everything in there, while 'Tec 29 seems to be missing a few of their bigger sales results.  :facepalm:

On 12/17/2020 at 12:39 AM, Professor Chaos said:

Superman 1 in 2020 all sold on Heritage.

March 3.5 288,000 

July 5.0 360,000 

September 4.5 348,000 

I don't see this 3.0 going for any more than around 300,000. I think it will probably sell for just a bit over it. 

On 12/17/2020 at 7:11 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I think the Supe 1 needs a strong showing as this auction has been a let down sales wise from what I’ve seen here in the boards.  Might just be time of year though.  Never a good one for an auction. 

Okay, looks like Kevin was pretty much bang on with his estimate as this copy here finished up at $310,111:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/890586

sup1.13991.jpg

What's everybody's opinion on the final price for this copy here given some rather lackluster results here for some books and yet some seemingly outstanding results on other books.  hm

I guess this is generally par for the course though when it comes to comic book auctions.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Okay, looks like Kevin was pretty much bang on with his estimate as this copy here finished up at $310,111:  (thumbsu

sup1.13991.jpg

What's everybody's opinion on the final price for this copy here given some rather lackluster results here for some books and yet some seemingly outstanding results on other books.  hm

I guess this is generally par for the course though when it comes to comic book auctions.  (shrug)

I am shocked anyone would pay that

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

sup1.13991.jpg

You know what they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day (or is it once?) I figured at least two people would be willing to bid 300K for it. And one of them would have the auction smarts to bid one incriment over that mark. Whats another 10 or 20 grand if you have 300K to shell out. Good looking 3.0. The 5.0 had color touch and very dull corners and the 4.5 had a cover covered with what appears to be heavy foxing, so that didn't help. The 3.5 from March for 288,000 was a real sweet example I think. 

11835598.jpg

lf.jpg

Edited by Professor Chaos

On 12/18/2020 at 7:56 PM, RareHighGrade said:
On 12/18/2020 at 7:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Wonder what in the world :wink: this Church copy of Wonderworld 33 will finish up at since it's already sitting at $14,311 with 15 more minutes still to go:  :luhv:

won3.319a.jpg

Unlike the pre-Robin 'Tec books where the consignors did not do so well, I imagine the consignor of this book here must be rather ecstatic since they picked it up for only a paltry $6,200 in the big Jon Berk auction a few summers ago:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/714960

Expand  

$18,755.  Wow.

Wowza is exactly right as this is indeed a big step up from its last sale for only $6,200.  :whatthe:  :applause:

I guess this is another perfect and classic example of not necessarily maximizing your dollars when you dump your entire kit and kaboodle all out in one big massive auction.  Being a life long collector though, I imagine Jon probably found it a lot easier to let it all go in one fell swoop to the next generation of collectors, as opposed to slowly dragging it out over a few long and excruciating years.  hm  (shrug)

Then again, it might also have something to do with the buyer either being astute or lucky enough to snag a book at the optimum time just before it gets broken out in the guide.  At the time of the big Jon Berk auction back in June of 2017, this book was still lumped in with Wonderworld 29 & 31 at a top of guide price of only $1,200 which meant the $6,200 result was at 5.2X top of guide.  Perfect timing as the book was then broken out in guide the following year, with this current sale for $18,755 being at a multiple of 4.35X top of this year's guide valuation.  (thumbsu

On 12/19/2020 at 9:53 AM, RareHighGrade said:

I've noticed that, for some reason, CC deletes its historical data regarding a book it is currently auctioning.  Has anyone else noticed that?  Perhaps CC thinks the historical data will depress the sale price (certainly not true in the case of the MF 55)?

Yes, I have witnessed this over the courses of many years. First noticed it around 2012 with the premier of the Suscha News Collection. I saw many Suscha selling at auction only to reappear and be relisted again at auction or with a BIN feature some months later. Exact same copy. No doubt about it. In most cases, however, the original listed was removed, or in various cases, the listing remained but the imagery was gone. With the imagery removed there was no way to reconcile old from new. So, it appeared as though a new book was being sold, but in reality, it was the original only to be listed at BIN or selling at auction substantively higher than the original sale.