• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,166 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Wowzers.........was this through one of their listed Buy It Now sales since I don't think this book would have been assigned to one of their no-profile Monthly Auctions?  hm

That's actually an absolutely mind blowing price for what clearly appears to be a misaligned cover from the above scan that I am looking at.  I imagine the ourchaser must have been one of these deep pocketed new to the comic book marketplace who knows only how to read the title on the label and that big big number on the top left hand corner of the slab.  :p

Maybe they liked getting a sneaky look inside due to the cover's semi-transparency.

jeez.  theres only 2 9.8s right?  so the buyer can't be too choosy about centering etc. If/since the game is to get the highest graded copies, here it is. Nice to see Marvel mega keys in HG (even the later ones) setting records again, many of them have basically been a bit stagnant as the 9.4 and 9.6 ranks swelled up over time.

5 hours ago, Aman619 said:

jeez.  theres only 2 9.8s right?  so the buyer can't be too choosy about centering etc. If/since the game is to get the highest graded copies, here it is.

Well, it's quite clear that this is not a HA scan since CC must have done this with their lights turned off since this DD 1 cover looks pretty creamy.  :p

If this book had been listed on Heritage, you would probably need to look at it with your sunglasses on since the color of the cover would be blindingly snow white.  lol

4 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I suppose it's a waste of time to note that the buyer probably could've gotten a nicer looking 9.6 for a lot less money? Yes? I'll show myself out.

Most probably one of these newbie deep pocketed CGC label collectors who's not knowledgeable enough to know that this particular copy here was graded and slabbed during arguably one of CGC's softest grading time periods in 2010/2011.  hm  (shrug) 

Clearly, the mantra for the newbie all-wise Reddit Gamestoppers, sports card traders, and crypto investors here is to "Buy the label, not the book". :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Most probably one of these newbie deep pocketed CGC label collectors who's not knowledgeable enough to know that this particular copy here was graded and slabbed during arguably one of CGC's softest grading time periods in 2010/2011.  hm  (shrug) 

Clearly, the mantra for the newbie all-wise Reddit Gamestoppers, sports card traders, and crypto investors here is to "Buy the label, not the book". :devil:

Most definitely, yes. Which, hey, fine by me. When I have the money to buy the "discounted" 9.6s, I'll have slightly less competition.

13 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I suppose it's a waste of time to note that the buyer probably could've gotten a nicer looking 9.6 for a lot less money? Yes? I'll show myself out.

Looking at the picture of the 9.8, and it certainly appears that gorgeous 9.6 at HA last month is clearly better.

Won't be surprised one bit if there is a third 9.8 on the census soon.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:
15 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Looking at the picture of the 9.8, and it certainly appears that gorgeous 9.6 at HA last month is clearly better.

Won't be surprised one bit if there is a third 9.8 on the census soon.

Ummmm...............since this is a Heritage scan, "appears" would be the key word here because their goal is to make all of their 1.8 graded books appear like 9.8 graded books if possible.  :devil:

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Can someone explain why the lower grade brittle Archie 2 is sitting so much higher than the other one?  No comprende. 

I sure the other will finish higher in the end.

Game of chicken i think right now for what the 'ceiling' is on this one  ( for what some are hoping will be a relative bargain in the end )

:bump:

With the big Heritage Signature Auction over last week and the current CL Focus Auction on its last legs, decided to give this thread here a long awaited but timely bump.  (thumbsu

Surprised to see almost zero discussion on CC's big Event Auction on this go round as it has less than a week to go before the curtain falls on it.  Wonder if the big high profile news shattering record Action 1 sale is going to draw attention away from this upcoming auction here or help CC to promote it which is what they seem to be trying to do with their email?  (shrug) 

Or is this the big protest from all of the board members and potential bidders because of the 15% BP which they have placed on lots from the Kentucky Collection? From all of the complaints that I've been seeing here, you would think that calculating an additional 15% was like advanced quadratic equation mathematics instead of the simple grade school arithmetic that it actually is.  :facepalm:  :ohnoez:

Anyways, any guesses here as to where this nicely presenting copy of 'Tec 31 relative to its grade will finish up at by the time it's all said and done:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/905969

det1.18420.jpg

I am sure that the Slightly Brittle pages is going to be a bit of a killer here, but then again, if I remember correctly, the CC Event Auctions have been able to fetch into the mid-$40K's for their CGC 1.0 graded copies of this book here.  So, I imagine this CGC 2.5 graded copy will certainly go for a lot more than the current $25,500 price point where it is sittting at right now.  hm  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

Well, at least you can still hopefully find some bargains this way, with still almost 20% of their auction lots sitting at single dollar digits or still even awaiting their first bid.  :whatthe:

Heck, looks like you can even safely bid on (at least for now) highest graded copies of even pedigree or file copies back to the 40's and even 30's with only having to go through your loose change at this current point in their auction.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

And then from the bargain basement level right up to the penthouse, you have this copy of GSXM 1 for the newbie deep pocketed crypto investors and NFT traders who just love to throw their easy new found money at these readily available HG books like this one here:  :takeit:  :whee:  :banana:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/895455

x-m6.485.jpg

Interesting to see that CC has unpdated their auction description to point out the $67,900 sale from a couple of weeks ago, and no doubt hoping that it will help to puch this copy right up past it from their current price point of only a measly $35,833. :wishluck:  :taptaptap:

Sad to say, but no Transformers 1 to spice up this auction here so that the old fogies like us can have a good laugh.  Then again, they do have this copy of GSXM 1 here and at least it doesn't have a crushed botton staple area which the CL copy at $67.9K seem to have.  lol  :p   

Edited by lou_fine

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

And then from the bargain basement level right up to the penthouse, you have this copy of GSXM 1 for the newbie deep pocketed crypto investors and NFT traders who just love to throw their easy new found money at these readily available HG books like this one here:  :takeit:  :whee:  :banana:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/895455

x-m6.485.jpg

Interesting to see that CC has unpdated their auction description to point out the $67,900 sale from a couple of weeks ago, and no doubt hoping that it will help to puch this copy right up past it from their current price point of only a measly $35,833. :wishluck:  :taptaptap:

Sad to say, but no Transformers 1 to spice up this auction here so that the old fogies like us can have a good laugh.  Then again, they do have this copy of GSXM 1 here and at least it doesn't have a crushed botton staple area which the CL copy at $67.9K seem to have.  lol  :p   

Back in 1978 there was a women named Pearl who was my customer and she ask me to get all the high grade GSX 1 and 94 and she would pay 30 bucks each. I got well over 200 for her at that price when i went to shows. I sold her Daredevil 1 in perfect shape this book when you went to open it started peeling and not 1 flaw. I paid 50 bucks for it and Avengers 4 same shape this guy had a record store called o'farrell street. Records and name was Don he also had spiderman/FF record sets mint in the packaging. Pearl said she wanted to give them to her son when he goes to collage now i am kicking myself :makepoint:

19 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Back in 1978 there was a women named Pearl who was my customer and she ask me to get all the high grade GSX 1 and 94 and she would pay 30 bucks each. I got well over 200 for her at that price when i went to shows. I sold her Daredevil 1 in perfect shape this book when you went to open it started peeling and not 1 flaw. I paid 50 bucks for it and Avengers 4 same shape this guy had a record store called o'farrell street. Records and name was Don he also had spiderman/FF record sets mint in the packaging. Pearl said she wanted to give them to her son when he goes to collage now i am kicking myself :makepoint:

Just think that you could have been a multi-millionaire if you had kept some of these copies for yourself instead of passing them all onto Pearl for who son who probably ended up thrashing them all in the end anyways.  :frustrated:

Yeah, I remember those times in the mid-70's when I picked up my first copy of XM 94 for a whole dollar and on the way out of the con, thought that I had gotten myself completely ripped off as the last dealer by the door had his copy on the table for only 30 cents.  I was totally pissed off enough that I went back to pick up the second copy just to lower my breakeven cost back down to 65 cents in the hope of not losing money on the darned thing whenever it came time to sell them.  :banana:

Paid a fortune at the time, relatively speaking, of a whole $2 for a nice minty fresh copy of GSXM 1 with a perfect squarebound cover and a nice snow white front cover.  Sad thing is that I lost both the GSXM 1 and one of the XM94 when I left them at my sister's place for what I thought was *ahem* safekeeping.  Never bothered to replace them since they were already going for a few hundred dollars by then and certainly not willing to pay that kind of money for relatively "common as dirt" books from the 70's.  doh!  :censored:  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I have been mildly watching the very slow progression on a lot of stuff in this auction but expect stuff to run up a lot in the last few days

Do you mean high priced books like this so-called scarce hghest graded copy of Conan 3 which is sitting there at the astonomical price of $330:  :frustrated:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/896627

con1.5030.jpg

Whenever I see this book here, it sure brings back bad memories of what a no-brain dummy I was back in the mid-70's when I first started to collect comic books more seriously.  I still remember being at my first local comic con down at some hotel and I was trying to decide between a Conan 3 and a FF 11 at some ridiculous amount like $40 or $50 which to me was big big money at the time.  Since they were both priced the same in the guide at the time, and my Smith run of Conan was pretty much complete by then, I figured that I better go for the Conan 3 since that know nothing at all Overstreet had it marked as scarce or limited distribution in his guide. Something that is clearly not right and yet he still has it indicated as such in his current guide. :mad:  :censored:

All I will say is that FF 11 is definitely no longer priced the same in either the guide or the marketplace as Conan 3 anymore by a long long shot.   Heck, they probably aren't even in the same city, let alone the same ball park.  doh!  :cry:

Or by slow progression, are you referring to all of those pages and pages of CGC 9.8 graded copies of Conan's and Daredevils or some of those VF copies of Brave and Bold with the Adams covers which are all still sitting there at $1 awaiting their first bid?  Being more of a GA kind of guy, I would tend to prefer some of these early Archie's from the 40's that still going for only a whole loonie:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/907263

arc1.2078.jpg

Then again, also being a condition focused kind of collector, maybe I'll have to toss in a few more dollars to get some of the higher graded GA books that's into the CGC 9's, but at least still seemingly a bargain for now at only $25 or thereabouts.  hm  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine