• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

Speaking about Archie books, does anybody here know much about these supposedly rarer 35 cent price variants like this one here:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908192

arc7.299.jpg

Not sure if this is simply a print run meant for the Canadian market or what, but also surprised that CGC didn't bothered to break it out in the Census Population Report or to indicate it on the label.  Looks like this white page beauty here is the highest graded copy out of a total of 7 copies slabbed to date and sold for pretty much close to condition guide.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, skypinkblu said:
On 4/9/2021 at 2:15 PM, podboy66 said:

They do call Canada, they call me every auction.  I usually let it go straight to voicemail.

I was joking;) I almost hung up on them, I thought it was one of those "your warrantee is in danger" spam calls.

I did suggest they post here. 

Well, maybe they need to make a few more phone calls as this is definitely a Buyer's auction when it comes to some of the prices on these books. :)

Being a long time cheapo collector from the old days, it's definitely good to see some of these lower prices, especially after some of the crazed and seemingly out of this world FOMO prices that we have been seeing the past few months. :applause:

Definitely a good sign for the old time buyers when you can see highest graded copies of seldom seen in the marketplace GA books still sitting in or near single digit fractions to condition guide because they'll most likely still be a bargain even after the extended bidding sessions (if any) kicks in.  I guess the current furor and mania for the deep pocketed buyers of today is much more for paying outrageous and insane multiples to guide for relatively easy to find books that already have hundreds if not thousands slabbed to date, and also with tens if not hundreds already in equivalent highest graded condition.  (:  :screwy:

As for an old fogey like me who likes to buy books when they are out of favor and relatively cheap as opposed to when they are in a furor and at a market peak, I clearly know which books I would prefer to buy at this current point in time.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

Archie was popular last night. Hopefully the cover is still attached on one of the Archie’s I bought last night. It’s a tough one. The bidding on the 3 was out of sight. I dropped out around $3k. We’re all still boycotting the nice Archie’s in the buyers premium section of the auction, right?  How’d your books make out Sharon?

6730A672-B763-452C-A322-D7E8562CFF29.jpeg

Just now, ThothAmon said:

Archie was popular last night. Hopefully the cover is still attached on one of the Archie’s I bought last night. It’s a tough one. The bidding on the 3 was out of sight. I dropped out around $3k. We’re all still boycotting the nice Archie’s in the buyers premium section of the auction, right?  How’d your books make out Sharon?

I really like the one you won, John!.

I didn't win anything last night, the book I really want is tonight. I have the artwork for one of the pages and the copy I have is restored. I have a ton of bids, if I win them all,  I might have to rethink bidding for while;)

The listings...were OK, one went quite a bit lower than I had hoped, but the others were around what my spreadsheet said they should be 2 years ago.

The ones I have ending for tonight and tomorrow are :fear:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from her reaction in your post, I somehow don't think Sharon is really into the Charles Bronson type of man there.  :fear:  lol

I think I dated a few, but that was a long time ago, lol.

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from her reaction in your post, I somehow don't think Sharon is really into the Charles Bronson type of man there.  :fear:  lol

Believe it or not that’s Andy Garcia from Godfather 3. Lol.

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I think I dated a few, but that was a long time ago, lol.

Do tell as we are all ears here and we can just keep this between you and me since absolutely nobody else ever reads these boards here.  :bigsmile:

Are you REALLY trying to have us believe that you only THINK because you never got far enough to tell for sure?  :blush:  :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Do tell as we are all ears here and we can just keep this between you and me since absolutely nobody else ever reads these boards here.  :bigsmile:

Are you REALLY trying to have us believe that you only THINK because you never got far enough to tell for sure?  :blush:  :baiting:  lol

LOL

Well, there was the beach, we all went to the beach a lot when I was a teenager...I had a dear friend who people used to tease about having a rug on his back. Great guy and he became a very good lawyer. 

56 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Yes, I was watching this one here and it definitely did get a bit more action than some of the other issues in that rather extended Archie run.  (thumbsu

Maybe it has all to do about the legs for this cover in terms of Betty's shorty short microskirt and Veronica's pair of hot pants shorts.  Definitely Betty for me then as it's really no contest from my point of view here.  :luhv:

From a pricing point of view though, although it did sell for $1,200 on this go round here, this still only represented a rather small increase from the $1,126.17 that it managed to fetched in a CC Event Auction way back in 2016:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/676160

Especially in comparison to some of the massive increases that other GA and SA books, and even more so, that some selected BA and CA books have enjoyed during this 5 year time period in between.  Heck, since even I was able to win a few of these Archie books in yesterday's auction last night, then they definitely are relatively reasonable right now from a pricing point of view.  :applause:

As for boycotting this auction here, I think that's definitely a fantastic idea, but ONLY for the books which I am planning to bid on please. :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

Well, from a pricing action point of view, it was defintely nice to see this Timely with its classic WWII cover image which had seemingly plateau after several long years of gangbuster price increases get a well deserved jolt and reawakening here:  :cloud9:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/907803

all1.209.jpg

Not sure if this is a record price for this condition grade, but it was definitely fun to watch the extended bidding sessions of this book here and rather nice that it was able to past the $10K price point for a CGC 3.5 graded copy of this key book here.  :applause:

Makes me wonder where this so-called Conserved CGC 5.0 graded copy from the Kentucky Collection will settle in at in a couple days from now:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900482

all1.206.jpg

Considering it's supposed to be Conserved copy here according to the CGC label here, not sure why the label would state "Restoration includes......", although I will admit there does seem to be a lot of different activities that have been performed on the book as noted on the label.  hm  (shrug)

Or has CGC changed their definitions of what constitutes Restoration and Conservation once again in order to attract more resubs?  :devil:

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Makes me wonder where this so-called Conserved CGC 5.0 graded copy from the Kentucky Collection will settle in at in a couple days from now:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900482

all1.206.jpg

Considering it's supposed to be Conserved copy here according to the CGC label here, not sure why the label would state "Restoration includes......", although I will admit there does seem to be a lot of different activities that have been performed on the book as noted on the label.  hm  (shrug)

Or has CGC changed their definitions of what constitutes Restoration and Conservation once again in order to attract more resubs?  :devil:

I've been wondering that as well. I thought color touch was not "conservation". 

Besides all of thre action on the All-Select 1 which I was watching, I also happened to surprisingly also see a lot of action during the extended bidding sessions on the HG copies of both All-Star 1 and All-Star 2:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908286

all3.2296_1.jpg

Must have been a record price for this condition grade since it hammered down at $39K, so not sure if this will then be bumped up to $44,850 once you add in the 15% BP that for some strange reason was attached to this non-Kentucky Collection book here.  If so, maybe they need to reflect the higher dollar price point for this auction result here then, similar to what HA does for all of their auction lots when they have the 20% BP.  doh!

Especially good to see these rather strong prices at long last for some of these pre-hero DC books.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :applause:

Although the extended bidding sessions didn't go on as long for this Church copy of All-Star Comics 2, it was also nice to see the strong finish here:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908287

all3.2297_1.jpg

Then again, maybe this price of $25,500 is par for the course and to be expected, considering that it is a QES stickered Edgar Church Mile High copy and a highest graded CGC 9.6 with White Pages to boot.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, Funnybooks said:

stunning copy indeed...curly chest hairs and all...

If you are referring to that gorgeous red copy of Crackajack 26 here, you are 110% correct as I am always a sucker for books with strong bold colors of the red, blue, and green persuasion, and there are definitely some pretty strong colors with a few of the covers in this Crackerajack Funnies run in this auction here.  :luhv:

Like you said, a definite stunner for being only a CGC 9.0 graded copy and probably would have graded a lot higher without that fugly looking chest hair distracting the attention of the grader.  lol

Seriously though, as some submittors with lots of submitting experience have told me, if you don't know know how to play the grading game and submit your books according to their rules, you probably stand a pretty good chance of being taken behind the wood shed and have some punishment grading applied to your bottom where your wallet is.  :devil:

Although you can never accurately grade a book without actually having it in hand, all I will say is that I have seen many books in a higher graded slab that doesn't seem to present quite as nicely as this nice beautiful blue cover copy does relative to its CGC 7.5 assigned grade:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820386

fou3.200a.jpg

Although you can certainly argue about the grade, you definitely can't argue about its current price point of only #36 for a stunning OW File Copy from almost 80 long long years ago.  Somehow though, I think it might just finish up a bit higher than this by the time it's all said and done tomorrow afternoon.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

Speaking of pricing action, can't wait until this evening's session to watch the extending bidding activity on this copy of Detective 31 here:  :cloud9:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/905969

det1.18420.jpg

Since it seems to be the key classic cover and the favorite for the pre-Robin Detective crowd, it will be interesting to see where this copy ends up at since it is still sitting at only $28,500 with very little activity during the past week and still well under condition guide valuation for now.  Considering that CGC 1.0 graded copies have sold multiple times into the mid-$40's at CC Event auctions here before in the past, I imagine there is still a lot of runway left for this copy here, even with that rather toasty looking spine edge and the Slightly Brittle pages is always a bit of a killer. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If you are referring to that gorgeous red copy of Crackajack 26 here, you are 110% correct as I am always a sucker for books with strong bold colors of the red, blue, and green persuasion, and there are definitely some pretty strong colors with a few of the covers in this Crackerajack Funnies run in this auction here.  :luhv:

Like you said, a definite stunner for being only a CGC 9.0 graded copy and probably would have graded a lot higher without that fugly looking chest hair distracting the attention of the grader.  lol

Seriously though, as some submittors with lots of submitting experience have told me, if you don't know know how to play the grading game and submit your books according to their rules, you probably stand a pretty good chance of being taken behind the wood shed and have some punishment grading applied to your bottom where your wallet is.  :devil:

Although you can never accurately grade a book without actually having it in hand, all I will say is that I have seen many books in a higher graded slab that doesn't seem to present quite as nicely as this nice beautiful blue cover copy does relative to its CGC 7.5 assigned grade:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820386

fou3.200a.jpg

Although you can certainly argue about the grade, you definitely can't argue about its current price point of only #36 for a stunning OW File Copy from almost 80 long long years ago.  Somehow though, I think it might just finish up a bit higher than this by the time it's all said and done tomorrow afternoon.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Thanks for the brain food...very informative and funny...I would be very interested in the notes on the FCC...how is that a 7.5? Unless there is a tear somewhere on the wrap, I just don't see it....I understand wanting to give a punishment grade because it's Don Winslow but let's be professional lol