• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

Thanks for the brain food...very informative and funny...I would be very interested in the notes on the FCC...how is that a 7.5? Unless there is a tear somewhere on the wrap, I just don't see it....I understand wanting to give a punishment grade because it's Don Winslow but let's be professional lol

Well, since it's one of these superlative Dell File copies from the late 30's/early 40's, I am sure the interior pages are pretty much immaculate and all of the defects are from the covers only.  With respect to the Don Winslow, I suspect it would most ikely be due to the bit of color fading that you see towards the bottom left of the front cover and possibly also the main reason why it didn't managed to get a QES sticker, similar to the other Dell File copies for some of the Crackajacks.  hm  (shrug)

You definitely can't complain about the colors on the back cover though since the blues seems to be strong and consistent throughout the entire cover here:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820386

fou3.200b.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

As I had pointed out previously in another thread somewhere on the GA boards here awhile ago, grading in terms of the noted defects can seem pretty random at times as their undisclosed grading standards might have changed or they might be going through a particularly tough grading time period.  hm  (shrug)

The example which I pointed out at the time back then was this Dell File Copy of Crackajack Funnies #9 which was initially graded as being only a CGC 9.0 copy:  :facepalm:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/830-91039.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

lf?set=path%5B4%2F2%2F5%2F1%2F4251087%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Curious enough for me to get the Graders' Notes which flagged the book for "Front Cover Writing" and "Top Back Cover Lite Shadow" with no interior defects noted at all.  Can't understand why the book would be hit for having a tell tale signature pedigree type marking on its cover, and couldn't understand why it was subequently graded as a CGC 9.6 copy when it visibly still had these exact same 2 noted defects on it as per the HA scan. I am also quite sure they are both still on the book now that it's safely and comfortably residing in a CGC 9.8 holder.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

35 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Thanks for the brain food...very informative and funny...I would be very interested in the notes on the FCC...how is that a 7.5? Unless there is a tear somewhere on the wrap, I just don't see it....I understand wanting to give a punishment grade because it's Don Winslow but let's be professional lol

On a much more serious note though, I am sure if it was a photo cover with Andy Garcia running out there holding the gun and flashlight while dressed only with his naked chest hairs and a scantily shorty but very tight pair of shorts, it would have been slabbed as a CGC 9.8 graded copy.  lol

Since it's always good to be politically correct and I am an equal opportunity poster here as opposed to being a GA elistist here, it will be interesting to see where this copy of DD 1 finishes up at in only a few short hours from now as it has just crossed the $100K mark:  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/898203

dar1.12042_1.jpg

Although it might not have much problem passing their own $125K mark which they themselves managed to hit on March 31st for the CGC 9.6 Northland Copy of DD 1, I am not sure if it will be able to match the $150K record set by the Heritage CGC 9.6 graded copy just a couple weeks ago on April 1st?  hm  :taptaptap:

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

On a much more serious note though, I am sure if it was a photo cover with Andy Garcia running out there holding the gun and flashlight while dressed only with his naked chest hairs and a scantily shorty but very tight pair of shorts, it would have been slabbed as a CGC 9.8 graded copy.  lol

Just finished watching The Godfather Pt. 2 with my son after having watched The Godfather earlier in the year...I'm hesitant to introduce him to Pt. 3...:facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Just finished watching The Godfather Pt. 2 with my son after having watched The Godfather earlier in the year...I'm hesitant to introduce him to Pt. 3...:facepalm:

Most definitely an absolute and big NO NO if he decides to pull down the rest of the blanket in the Pt 3 sequel in order to show off the rest of his bodily hairs in this screen shot of himself below:  :fear:lol

DFE8C821-B5C9-4135-BB59-01A9A1381889.jpeg

Edited by lou_fine

I guess old Bats himself must still be burning red hot if even a dare we say PGX 2.0 graded copy of Batman 3 (which we sadly cannot post a picture of here or else we'll get spanked like Robin (tsk)  lol) can sell for $2,800 or at more than double condition guide:  :whatthe:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/746432

Okay, my bad here as it's probably Robin's bottom and Bat's hand that might actually be burning red hot here.  :blush:  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Speaking of pricing action, can't wait until this evening's session to watch the extending bidding activity on this copy of Detective 31 here:  :cloud9:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/905969

det1.18420.jpg

Since it seems to be the key classic cover and the favorite for the pre-Robin Detective crowd, it will be interesting to see where this copy ends up at since it is still sitting at only $28,500 with very little activity during the past week and still well under condition guide valuation for now.  Considering that CGC 1.0 graded copies have sold multiple times into the mid-$40's at CC Event auctions here before in the past, I imagine there is still a lot of runway left for this copy here, even with that rather toasty looking spine edge and the Slightly Brittle pages is always a bit of a killer. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

what's the predicted hit on this copy with the slightly brittle pages?

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Tec 31 2.5 closed at 56k. My guess was 60+. People just don't like brittle designation.

Although prices can certainly be much more volatile with the CGC 1.0 and 0.5 graded entry level copies of these types of books as evident by previous rather spectacular results in previous CC Event Auctions, this is certainly why it's hard to do a straight line PPP projection when it involves entry level prices and other factors such as Slightly Brittle pages.  hm

Especially when the best comparison would be to its previous sale back about 6 years ago in a CC Event Auction on June 3 of 2015 when it sold for $42K:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/613404

det1.12586a.jpg

Looks like that sale was when it was still residing in its original holder and the book must have simply been reholdered as it still retained the exact same CGC serial number for when the book was graded way back in 2003.  So, a return of something like 33% before fees and commissions for having the honor and privilege of being the caretaker of this wonderful book for the past 6 years.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

22 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

They changed the conserved All Select 1 to restored, as it should have been.

all1.206_1.jpg

Yes, after giving it some thought following @skypinkblu post yesterday, I figured it must have been a quality control issue with CGC in terms of putting the incorrect label on it.  :facepalm:

Good to see that CC was able to correct this labelling error and update their online scan before the auction gets into its final stage tomorrow.  (thumbsu

Just now, lou_fine said:

Yes, after giving it some thought following @skypinkblu post yesterday, I figured it must have been a quality control issue with CGC in terms of putting the incorrect label on it.  :facepalm:

Good to see that CC was able to correct this labelling error and update their online scan before the auction gets into its final stage tomorrow.  (thumbsu

That'll be +15% premium for their service...thank you