• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,166 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Rick's collection also deserves a notation

I too wish he had a notation on the slabs.  All is not lost though!  Unlike the Berk Collection, we have the EPIC Gator Centaur thread.  Might be fun for those of us who purchased these slabs to quote your new book when it was posted in Gator's thread and add the new CGC certification number.  That would also be epic!

12 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:
  4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Rick's collection also deserves a notation

...could not say from the collection of Rick, no one would know who that was since about half of all top GA collectors are named Rick.  Would need to say from G.A.tor or from Mr. Bedrock or Rick'sNeatStuff, etc. ;)

How many of Gator's Centaurs were pedigrees previously owned by Jon Berk? Wouldn't that be a trifecta?

18 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I too wish he had a notation on the slabs.  All is not lost though!  Unlike the Berk Collection, we have the EPIC Gator Centaur thread.  Might be fun for those of us who purchased these slabs to quote your new book when it was posted in Gator's thread and add the new CGC certification number.  That would also be epic!

and even since that thread I'd upgraded a few when the opportunity presented itself...

4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

How many of Gator's Centaurs were pedigrees previously owned by Jon Berk? Wouldn't that be a trifecta?

I think I won 12 of berks books (not 100% sure, but it was around that number)...

6 minutes ago, eschnit said:

...could not say from the collection of Rick, no one would know who that was since about half of all top GA collectors are named Rick.  Would need to say from G.A.tor or from Mr. Bedrock or Rick'sNeatStuff, etc. ;)

I tried to be names Mr. Couchrock, but name didn't stick

Sidenote, Star Comics #3, wow.  More than a couple things stood out that I bet would be news to Golden Age fans.  First off, loss for words on that cover.  Second, so Chesler handed the reins to Centaur at #10 circa March, 1938.  So Harry Chesler signed off on that sucker.  I'm sure it's a classic cover.  I have a lot to learn... One thing I know is Mr. Chesler was not African-American. 

5 hours ago, atomised said:

one thing I noticed when I was going after the more fun 73 is that they extended the bidding another round when an underbid came in, I thought that was odd.  If the book is set to close and you are the high bidder, it seems strange to me that bidding is extended on a lower bid.  (shrug)

Sounds as though you are thinking about the CL or eBay auction formats here where an auction ends precisely at it's SPECIFIED end and no more time is extended after that.  This type of auction format definitely encourages snipe bidding in order to win the lot and something I personally stay far away from.  :p

Both of the Heritage and CC auction formats works on the concept of bidding until there are no further bids.  In fact, with CC's 3-minute extended bidding time periods, it's quite common that the serious bidding on a lot doesn't actually take place until the end of the auction and the 3-minute bell kicks in. :taptaptap:

Actually, it's quite common on the classic covers or HTF  books to double or even triple during CC's extended bidding time periods.  I've seen some books run for half a hour over their supposedly auction end. :whatthe:

Looking at tonight’s centaur offerings , there’s not as much “superhero” available (compared to amazing man, amf, funny pages etc) but from a rarity standpoint, some real gems available. I did take a look at current bidding on the last 62 books I’m offering and some are surprising (both low and high). 

Will be fun to review all sold books this evening. 

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

I did take a look at current bidding

If you have time I'd put some boots on.  I'd expect tonights action to be fast and furious.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those 1/2 hour extended bidding sessions.  These books do not grow on trees.

6 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

If you have time I'd put some boots on.  I'd expect tonights action to be fast and furious.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those 1/2 hour extended bidding sessions.  These books do not grow on trees.

they did grow on trees though, sort of, didn't they?

...fake plastic trees?

Edited by eschnit

18 minutes ago, eschnit said:

Sidenote, Star Comics #3, wow.  More than a couple things stood out that I bet would be news to Golden Age fans.  First off, loss for words on that cover.  Second, so Chesler handed the reins to Centaur at #10 circa March, 1938.  So Harry Chesler signed off on that sucker.  I'm sure it's a classic cover.  I have a lot to learn... One thing I know is Mr. Chesler was not African-American. 

There always seems to be so much attention paid to the racial overtones with respect to the Star 3 cover.

Yet, we don't seem to see nowhere close to the same amount of attention being paid to Funny Picture Stories #7 which I guess is the poor man's version of Star Comics 3.

Especially when it also has a cover with similar racial overtones.  Plus the fact that the census population indicates that it is just as rare as Star 3 and especially impossible to find in grade.  hm

16 minutes ago, telerites said:

From what I remember in either a CBM or Alter-Ego article, Chesler was quite a showman and marketer.  Note the World's Greatest Comics he had on the covers.  I also think the character on the cover of the comic below was patterned after him.  This is one of my favs in my Chesler collection.  The detail on the suit jacket is extraordinary.

1911121354321.jpg 

Killer cover!

20 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

That’s the truth. Although they were made from trees lol

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Interesting points. Maybe a sticker placed on the holder stating the proud ownership of the comic could help in this regard.

Now you're getting the idea! (thumbsu

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I had always heard "buy the book, not the label" and thought...who in the world would value the label over the book. It just didn't compute that someone could actually care more about the label?!?!? I still can't believe what I am hearing. Is it true? Apparently it is.

When there's no label, it's a moot point.  When there is a label, it all depends on how unobtrusive it is.  If the label is a billboard that overshadows the book, then it becomes more objectionable. 

Sometimes I'll buy a graded book in spite of an undesirable label because there's always a recourse.