• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,158 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now is the time to buy. Archie’s went cold, as did centaur AMFs that aren’t V2 #5. 

I had 19 books in, including this Archie 50. This Archie went for $2k less than what I paid 2 years ago on Heritage. The Archie 1(not mine) only went for guide.

the Timely WWII covers more than compensated. Cap 46 and MMC 40 and 44 and USA 17 were strong. 

I paid $75k for this lot of books and they hammered at $85k - it’ll cover the CC vig. 

Its ok. I’m playing the long game. It helped get me into my Cap 1

I wonder if this had more to do with the venue.  Although the net might have ended the same (or less) on HA.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

I wonder if this had more to do with the venue.  Although the net might have ended the same (or less) on HA.

I wondered if it was buyer fatigue. Seems like we have been in constant auction for months. First Clink, then Heritage(or was it the other way around?), and ending w CC. Everyone was either broke or asleep by the end

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I wondered if it was buyer fatigue. Seems like we have been in constant auction for months. First Clink, then Heritage(or was it the other way around?), and ending w CC. Everyone was either broke or asleep by the end

Auction fatigue, war chests being emptied, and your Centaurs coming to auction shortly after GAtor sold his complete run might have all been factors.

17 minutes ago, walclark said:

Auction fatigue, war chests being emptied, and your Centaurs coming to auction shortly after GAtor sold his complete run might have all been factors.

Yes I purposely waited for Gators to end, and I’m glad I did, nevertheless 

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

CC auction felt like it dragged on forever.  Kind of lost interest by the end unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now is the time to buy. Archie’s went cold, as did centaur AMFs that aren’t V2 #5. 

I had 19 books in, including this Archie 50. This Archie went for $2k less than what I paid 2 years ago on Heritage. The Archie 1(not mine) only went for guide.

my Science 2 went for the princely sum of $50 more than what I paid a year ago.

the Timely WWII covers more than compensated. Cap 46 and MMC 40 and 44 and USA 17 were strong. 

I paid $75k for this lot of books and they hammered at $85k - it’ll cover the CC vig. 

I only consigned $15k or so in stuff and it went for $16.8k. My day 1 results were awful but as it progressed the results improved. Many books went significantly higher than I offered them for here. A few did poorly. Overall, I was more pleased with the results of this one as a consignor. 

On 6/15/2019 at 12:28 AM, adamstrange said:
On 6/14/2019 at 10:09 PM, tth2 said:

Is there anything more irritating then an auction house that sends you an invoice after Day 1?

People posting online about "First World" problems? hm

I've kind of overcome the food and shelter and working conditions issues, so there's not a whole lot left for me to complain about. :sorry: 

1 hour ago, tth2 said:
On 6/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, adamstrange said:
On 6/14/2019 at 7:09 AM, tth2 said:

Is there anything more irritating then an auction house that sends you an invoice after Day 1?

People posting online about "First World" problems? hm

I've kind of overcome the food and shelter and working conditions issues, so there's not a whole lot left for me to complain about. :sorry:

I thought you would have been busy joining all of the protestors or locked up in jail already, instead of thinking about us all the way over here.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I thought you would have been busy joining all of the protestors or locked up in jail already, instead of thinking about us all the way over here.  lol

Not allowed to talk politics here! (tsk)

3 hours ago, tth2 said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not allowed to talk politics here! (tsk)

It's worth a warning from the Mods just to find out if you was posting to us from the clinker or not.  lol

On 6/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

my Science 2 went for the princely sum of $50 more than what I paid a year ago.

Clark;

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the results that you were hoping for.  :frown:

Glad to see that you was able to recover your full cost for the books plus the CC auction fees with a little bit left for a nice dinner at the end though.  (thumbsu

With the way auction results are going nowadays, i would say that you have to be extremely lucky if you are hoping to make money when you go into the hottest part of the market and you have to pay pretty much top dollar to acquire your books.  Especially when you are talking about only a 2-year time frame which is actually pretty short in the comic book collectibes marketplace.  You actually did a lot better than other investors like Jay Parrino and that big real estate guy (for the life of me, I can't remember his name :facepalm:) who both lost an absolute ton of money when they tried to resell their books back into the marketplace after purchasing them and holding them for only a few years.  From that point of view, I would not say that the market is cold since you was still able to recoup all of your money plus a little bit more after only a short 2-year time period.  hm

Really really happy to hear that you was able to get yourself into a Cap 1 (plus apparently 6 other books) out of all this which means that you are going to do just fine in the end.  You are definitely right when it comes to playing the long game in terms of vintage comic book collectibles.  Like I have said before with respect to vintage comic books, it's not so much about trying to time the market, as opposed to spending time in the market.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/15/2019 at 10:09 AM, Dr. Love said:
On 6/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I really don't think the venue had that much to do with it since I have also seen books resell for higher on CC not too long after being sold on Heritage.  Especially once you factor in the higher auction fees on the Heritage website, it's pretty hard to say which venue will give you the best bottom line.  As with all of these things, I imagine it also has a lot to do with timing and luck in terms of the right eyeballs looking at it, as opposed to being away on holidays or something like that.  (shrug)

I will say though that if you are able to get Heritage to slot your book into the Platinum portion of their auction, you are most likely to get much more dollars than you could from any other auction site.  Only problem is that with the books which most of us have here, it would most likely be relegated to the regular portion of the auction, or possibly even to the lower profile Saturday portion of the auction.  So, I don't know if it's a sure thing that you will get more from Heritage as opposed to CC or CL.  hm

Like I had said in my earlier post, I feel that it's really more a case of buying into a hot marketplace and then trying to resell back into it after a relatively short time period of only 2 years.  

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Clark;

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the results that you were hoping for.  :frown:

Glad to see that you was able to recover your full cost for the books plus the CC auction fees with a little bit left for a nice dinner at the end though.  (thumbsu

With the way auction results are going nowadays, i would say that you have to be extremely lucky if you are hoping to make money when you go into the hottest part of the market and you have to pay pretty much top dollar to acquire your books.  Especially when you are talking about only a 2-year time frame which is actually pretty short in the comic book collectibes marketplace.  You actually did a lot better than other investors like Jay Parrino and that big real estate guy (for the life of me, I can't remember his name :facepalm:) who both lost an absolute ton of money when they tried to resell their books back into the marketplace after purchasing them and holding them for only a few years.  From that point of view, I would not say that the market is cold since you was still able to recoup all of your money plus a little bit more after only a short 2-year time period.  hm

Really really happy to hear that you was able to get yourself into a Cap 1 (plus apparently 6 other books) out of all this which means that you are going to do just fine in the end.  You are definitely right when it comes to playing the long game in terms of vintage comic book collectibles.  Like I have said before with respect to vintage comic books, it's not so much about trying to time the market, as opposed to spending time in the market.  (thumbsu

You are so right, lou_fine. My problem is I bought a bunch of books, thinking they were the keepers. Then, partway thru, my collecting goals changed radically. 

Ill bet that’s never happened to anyone before! :insane:

What an effort to change direction. You are right about how I should be glad I got out like I did. I don’t think I’ll be turning the ship again any time soon!