• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,165 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
19 hours ago, lou_fine said:
22 hours ago, szav said:

Don’t see the 17 Cgc 9.4 listed here... but I do several other PLs I can’t afford!  Will be fun to watch.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=Phantom+lady&issue=

That's because the PL 17 CGC 9.4 copy is listed for the August Heritage Auction. :gossip:

umm ... no

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=839537

Definitely a case of me getting too slow to keep up with all of these books as they are being loaded  up here.

I thought for sure I did not see this one here when I checked yesterday.  :facepalm:

Looks like CC is going to have a few big books here in this upcoming Event Auction of theirs.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely a case of me getting too slow to keep up with all of these books as they are being loaded  up here.

I thought for sure I did not see this one here when I checked yesterday.  :facepalm:

Looks like CC is going to have a few big books here in this upcoming Event Auction of theirs.  (thumbsu

I told you the images came from Fishler’s secret email account I hacked.  That should have been enough for you :sumo:

Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Wow @lou_fine I lost the bid on CC more fun 34 Lost bid on ebay more fun 34 and it looks like your week is going the same :whistle::hi:

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:34 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it definitely looks like at least a couple of big time collectors must be cashing out here.  hm

Just noticed some other runs here including the HG Brave and Bold run and then there's the Church run of Captain Marvel Jr.  :luhv:

those books are going to get some interest here in cajun country.

15 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Over 1600 books so far ... :juggle:

Well, I believe they generally stop when there's around 2,000 books or thereabouts.

Of course, since there's something like 600 X-Men books with almost all of them from sometjong called the Key Comics Collection loaded in there already, I believe this is going to skewed the final count up to something like 2,500 books by the time it's all said and done.  I imagine similar to how the Jon Berk Auction had something like 3,000 books in there. 

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

this book is spectacular.  It was the 1st  Mile High key I saw in person up close and personal.

cap3.756a.jpg

When you saw this copy here, was the early CM Jr run still intact or was it already split and scattered to the wind amongst various collectors?  hm

Just now, lou_fine said:

When you saw this copy here, was the early CM Jr run still intact or was it already split and scattered to the wind amongst various collectors?  hm

When I saw it, it was the lone Captain Marvel Junior he had.  It was in a mylar.  The owner described the book to me before he showed it and said the edges looked like they had been cut by a laser.  I have to agree with his assessment.

22 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

When I saw it, it was the lone Captain Marvel Junior he had.  It was in a mylar.  The owner described the book to me before he showed it and said the edges looked like they had been cut by a laser.  I have to agree with his assessment.

You mean Jason was the previous owner of that copy?  lol

Seriously though, I remember this run or early run being intact during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening back in the early part of 1995.  Geppi announced very clearly that this run was only going to be sold intact, similar to how Jon Berk had to purchased the entire Church run of Mystery Men run even though he told me his main interest was only in the first 10 issues.  Looks like Geppi and Overstreet did him a favor by forcing him to pick up the entire run.  :takeit:

After hearing this announcement from Geppi, I still remember Fishler pulling out the Cap Marvel Jr #4 with the classic cover out of the group and putting it in his pile. (tsk)   He chuckled and mentioned something about that being the only book he wanted in the run and was going to see if Geppi and Overstreet was going to catch it, which they did in the end.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

Just now, lou_fine said:

Seriously though, I remember this run or early run being intact during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening back in the early part of 1995.  Geppi announced very clearly that this run was only going to be sold intact, similar to how Jon Berk had to purchased the entire Church run of Mystery Men run even though he told me his main interest was only in the first 10 issues.  Looks like Geppi and Overstreet did him a favor by forcing him to pick up the entire run.  :takeit:

After hearing this announcement from Geppi, I still remember Fishler pulling out the Cap Marvel Jr #4 with the classic cover out of the group and putting it in his pile. (tsk)  Mentioned something about that being the only book he wanted in the run and was going to see if Geppi and Overstreet was going to catch it, which they did in the end.  lol

When I saw this book, it was in the late 1980s.  The collector that had it was living in Albuquerque, NM at the time.

I remember sifting through this run back at Geppi's in 1995 and pulling out the 4 and 7 to purchase.  The response from Geppi was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my collecting experience to that point.

Edited by adamstrange

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

After hearing this announcement from Geppi, I still remember Fishler pulling out the Cap Marvel Jr #4 with the classic cover out of the group and putting it in his pile. (tsk)   He chuckled and mentioned something about that being the only book he wanted in the run and was going to see if Geppi and Overstreet was going to catch it, which they did in the end.  lol

When I hear stories like this, I am reminded that there are many Boardies here who operate on a level with which I am wholly unfamiliar.

14 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I remember sifting through this run back at Geppi's in 1995 and pulling out the 4 and 7 to purchase.  The response from Geppi was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my collecting experience to that point.

Any idea if it was just the early portion of the run that Geppi and Overstreet had since all 119 issues would certainly be a bit much to expect one person to pick it up intact?

Wonder when and by who the run was eventually broken up?  hm

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if it was just the early portion of the run that Geppi and Overstreet had since all 119 issues would certainly be a bit much to expect one person to pick it up intact?

Wonder when and by who the run was eventually broken up?  hm

I was the first person to look at the run in the Diamond Gallery opening (Saturday morning).  It was not identified as the Church run, though the issues were coded.  It was evidently a mistake as they had separated the Church books out and did not intend to sell any individual issues or runs at that time (per Geppi).  If Fishler had the #4 in his pile, it was only because it was put back with the run after I had my sad encounter with Geppi.  I don't recall whether it was the entire run as I was so happy to finally "get" a nice 4 and 7 and can't remember much after that.

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

this book is spectacular.  It was the 1st  Mile High key I saw in person up close and personal.

cap3.756a.jpg

I've seen freaks of nature before. But this book takes it to another level. The black cover, and super sharp corners are UNREAL. Can't believe this is 77 years old.

13 hours ago, adamstrange said:

It was evidently a mistake as they had separated the Church books out and did not intend to sell any individual issues or runs at that time (per Geppi). 

Well, they must have made an exception for the Church Mystery Men run as the CBM the following month indicated all of the issues were sold as part of the Gallery opening.  Definitely looks like an absolute steal now when compared to those prices back then.  :takeit:

I assume Jon must have either negotiated for that separately or earlier and the transaction was simply completed during the opening.  Either that or the set was offered to him as an extra enticement to attend the grand opening?  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, they must have made an exception for the Church Mystery Men run as the CBM the following month indicated all of the issues were sold as part of the Gallery opening.  Definitely looks like an absolute steal now when compared to those prices back then.  :takeit:

I assume Jon must have either negotiated for that separately or earlier and the transaction was simply completed during the opening.  Either that or the set was offered to him as an extra enticement to attend the grand opening?  (shrug)

I am speaking with respect to the Saturday morning event -- that they did not intend to sell Church books there.  They sold some individual Church copies at the Friday night opening.  I don't have any insight regarding your question about the Mystery Men Church run sale.  At the time, I only knew about the Allentown Mystery Men copies that were sold.