• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #3 CGC SS 1.0 Stan and Joe Simon Signatures
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Boardies,

I was thinking about listing this book, but not sure what the going value of this book is.  Recent sales of a Captain America Comics #3 CGC .5 (incomplete) went for $9K.  I have also seen individual graded pages of this book listed at anywhere from $1K - $2K per graded page.

My Captain America Comics #3 is a CGC SS 1.0 (R).  It is restored because the centerfold is married with tape, but it is complete.  I have also been told if I can unmarrie the centerfold it might come back with the blue label.

In any case, if you have any input about the going value for this book, especially being Stan's first work and not only signed by himself but Joe Simon, I could use the inpute.

Thanks for the help, and hopefully I can get assessment on this board from the pictures I have below.

Captain America Comics #3 CGC 1.0 (FC).jpg

Captain America Comics #3 CGC 1.0 (BC).jpg

Cap #3 (1).jpg

Cap #3 (2).jpg

Cap #3 (3).jpg

Cap #3 (4).jpg

Edited by Mike22

So based off my understanding and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but simply taping something isn’t restoration. So the fact there’s tape on the centerfold has nothing to do with why it’s married. This was deemed married because they decided the centerfold was not original to the comic and was from another copy. So I don’t believe you can get a blue label on this no matter what. However, that’s a second generation slab and I believe they deemed married pages restoration back then whereas now they are given green qualified labels. So that’s why it was given a purple restored label as opposed to what it would be now or green qualified. Since technically and if you think about it, even if you marry parts from two separate books it’s still two unrestored parts put together. Regardless, I’d recommend calling CGC and see if you can get an answer over the phone or send it to them and have them screen it for you to be sure. I’d certainly rather have a green qualified label than purple.

As far as your question about the price, definitely a tough one to gauge for sure. I’ll let more capable minds on this board answer that one.

10 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Even if it came back as unrestored, a married centerfold will get a green label, not blue. I don’t know if that really increased your value at all.

Well if the centerfold is married because archival tape was used as it seems that could be the reason for the purple label and not because it isn’t original to the comic than if the tape can be removed and put the book back to blue label I think it definitely would rise in value, without question. However if the centerfold is married because it’s from another copy than going to green might help raise the value as well. I’ve definitely seen qualified books sell for more than their purple restored counterparts in the same grade, sometimes by far.

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
15 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Even if it came back as unrestored, a married centerfold will get a green label, not blue. I don’t know if that really increased your value at all.

Well if the centerfold is married because archival tape was used as it seems that could be the reason for the purple label and not because it isn’t original to the comic than if the tape can be removed and put the book back to blue label I think it definitely would rise in value, without question. However if the centerfold is married because it’s from another copy than going to green might help raise the value as well. I’ve definitely seen qualified books sell for more than their purple restored counterparts in the same grade, sometimes by far.

I don't think they would have called the cf married if they thought it was original to the book.  "Married" is always (I think!) reserved for the case where the cf is from another copy.

Agree with you that at auction green labels usually outdo purple labels. 

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think they would have called the cf married if they thought it was original to the book.  "Married" is always (I think!) reserved for the case where the cf is from another copy.

Agree with you that at auction green labels usually outdo purple labels. 

No that makes sense. So I guess centerfold makes sense as married on the label because they deemed it to come from a different copy and the purple label may have been because archival tape was used. So it may just be what it is.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 12/24/2018 at 8:54 PM, AnkurJ said:

If archival tape was used, it’s considered resto.

On 12/24/2018 at 10:09 PM, Spyder! said:

Ok, I just checked this link here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/pdf/restoration-grading-scale-handout.pdf

Not sure if this is the most recent and current definition, but it states that archival tape is now considered to be Conservation which actually makes sense here.  Much better than the old system which hammered collectors for using the less damaging archival tape by giving them the PLOD and then rewarding the books with the damaging regular scotch tape with the blue unrestored labels. (thumbsu

On the other hand, it states that a book with married pages or a married cover would be considered as having restoration repairs.  So, it looks like you are not going to be able to get away from the dreaded purple label in your particular case here.  :frown:

51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Ok, I just checked this link here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/pdf/restoration-grading-scale-handout.pdf

Not sure if this is the most recent and current definition, but it states that archival tape is now considered to be Conservation which actually makes sense here.  Much better than the old system which hammered collectors for using the less damaging archival tape by giving them the PLOD and then rewarding the books with the damaging regular scotch tape with the blue unrestored labels. (thumbsu

On the other hand, it states that a book with married pages or a married cover would be considered as having restoration repairs.  So, it looks like you are not going to be able to get away from the dreaded purple label in your particular case here.  :frown:

But my Batman 1 with a married cover came back with a green qualified and not purple resto label. Would this be different?

18 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I’ve always seen green labels for married covers and centerfolds, given no other restoration was done. 

+1 That's what I was going to say.  This is interesting because if you detached the tape holding the centerfold to the rest of the comic would it become a qualified signature series instead?  I'd like to think so...and I can't imagine the grade going lower than what it already is after doing that.  I would have to think that would increase the value. hm

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Agree with you that at auction green labels usually outdo purple labels

Some green labels maybe, like clipped coupons not affecting story or unauthenticated signatures that look real... but from what I’ve seen, and I’ll admit my casual observations are hardly scientific, green label low grade married books seem to get about the same at auction as restored books.  This one doesn’t seem worth the bother or risk.  

Can archival tape be easily removed without damaging the book anyway?

Edited by szavisca

11 minutes ago, GoldCap said:

+1 That's what I was going to say.  This is interesting because if you detached the tape holding the centerfold to the rest of the comic would it become a qualified signature series instead?  I'd like to think so...and I can't imagine the grade going lower than what it already is after doing that.  I would have to think that would increase the value. hm

+1 on that.

5 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Some green labels maybe, like clipped coupons not affecting story or unauthenticated signatures that look real... but from what I’ve seen, and I’ll admit my casual observations are hardly scientific, green label married books seem to get about the same at auction as restored books.

Well I think you have to go deeper than that. Maybe comparable to very slightly restored books, but anything with moderate to extensive restoration not even close.

3 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well I think you have to go deeper than that. Maybe comparable to very slightly restored books, but anything with moderate to extensive restoration not even close.

Had edited my comment while you were replying to “low grade married” copies are about = restored books.  

For this particular book I don’t see anything to be gained mangling it further just to get it in a green holder.  Most of the value is in it just being a copy, and having the signatures for those who care about that.

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Had edited my comment while you were replying to “low grade married” copies are about = restored books.  

For this particular book I don’t see anything to be gained mangling it further just to get it in a green holder.  Most of the value is in it just being a copy, and having the signatures for those who care about that.

Yeah I mean with comics I’ve always taken the path of “if you can fix it or enhance it, do it”. I mean it can’t hurt right? His chances of it selling for more can only go up if the tape comes off, or if it comes back qualified. The grade wouldn’t change based off what the book is so there’s not really any risk. Ultimately I do agree that the end result of this comic selling is because of how it presents and the signatures though, which all things being equal for a 1.0 it’s not that bad. However, vintage collectors can be soo fickle and just removing the tape alone if possible may substantially broaden the potential buyers out there as many people hate tape.

Edited by LDarkseid1

22 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Some green labels maybe, like clipped coupons not affecting story or unauthenticated signatures that look real... but from what I’ve seen, and I’ll admit my casual observations are hardly scientific, green label low grade married books seem to get about the same at auction as restored books.  This one doesn’t seem worth the bother or risk.  

Can archival tape be easily removed without damaging the book anyway?

If the trend is married books (centerfold, a couple wraps) get substantially lower prices than blue label, I certainly hope it continues.  It's one thing with trimming, or extensive color touch, pieces added...but married pages?  Who cares?