• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Mister Mystery #10 Reglossed?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My dad bought THIS book on ebay that I think is suspiciously re-glossed. I've included the best photos I could take.

The book in question is Mister Mystery #10. It seems to have several signifiers that it was re-glossed, however, I've never actually had a re-glossed book in hand so I can't confirm for certain. 

What I do know is that:

1. Both covers inside and out, are super glossy.

2. There seems to be a very faint roughness to the paper.

3. The cover feels very slightly heavier than normal.

What seems strange is that there is no evidence that the book was disassembled. However, It's certainly not impossible that it was disassembled and reassembled to a T.

Is this book known for extreme glossiness? I appreciate any opinions.

Thank you!

SH0jZvIeSjaUY8loSyQ4SA.jpg

wH5B5fwqSm2uw1EaW%to7w.jpg

ENIAtVL5SNKFpZkmHgaoJA.jpg

FQg5O0UYQAewdnjTiSLzgw.jpg

t0aUoNe2S0SxmeGxqMp+uw.jpg

2PiK8aRFTP21N2ge6wI7cw.jpg

GMR4JDrrQgyGDhZeemiEBA.jpg

Edited by Phill the Governor

3 hours ago, aszumilo said:

Definitely something wrong with that book.  Gloss looks heavy, too heavy for a book that old.

Edit:  Looking at the auction, it does not appear to have the same amount of gloss as your pictures show.

The ebay seller described it as "very glossy". 

I really don't believe that the seller is trying to pull anything, especially bc of that description. But you are correct, their pictures do not show what I am describing. I have a suspicion that it's a case of "see what you want to see". From a sellers perspective it may be hard to swallow the truth about having a restored book.

Edited by Phill the Governor