• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrightson/Frazetta Artist

35 posts in this topic

Is there any artist today that mimic the style or tightness of Wrightson or Frazetta style?  Is there any other artist you can think of that has similar style?  Looking for both todays artist and older artist.

I think Wrightson and Frazetta evolved over time.  With Wrightson, it was probably more obvious... for example: Swamp Thing vs Batman: The Cult

There was a time when an early version of Kelley Jones bore some resemblance to a version of Wrightson.  One time, I actually told Wrightson that Jones was "Wrightsonian".

Mike Hoffman, when he's "on" (i.e. working really tight), looks like a minimalist version of Frazetta.  Although Hoffman is missing that X factor.

Edited by Will_K

3 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Tom Grindberg can be very Frazetta-esque. He's actually really good at emulating a number of styles, while being far less derivative than Hoffman.

I agree. There are some very Frazetta-like pieces in his past. What's he doing these days, anyone know?

I always thought Mark Schultz was very Frazetta influenced, but doesn't look like a knock off. The Kelley Jones comparison to Wrightson was a good one also. I believe Wrightson actually contacted Jones about finishing up his Frankenstein series for IDW when he could no longer do it.

Holtz was another artist I thought had some of Wrightson's qualities.

Edited by boomtown

1 hour ago, boomtown said:

I always thought Mark Schultz was very Frazetta influenced,

Schultz was heavily influenced by Wood and Frazetta with nods to Krenkel, Williamson, Wrightson and Dave Stevens.  You can watch him imitate and then absorb the styles of each of these artists in the first dozen issues of "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs."

When I first saw Dave Steven's Rocketeer, I thought Frazetta and he was mentioned above.  

Ken Kelly also who is Frazetta's nephew-in-law, I believe?

And the great debate of Frazetta mimicking Hal Foster.  Alex Raymond is another older artist I think of.

I personally was never struck that Boris although a great artist/painter was Frazetta-like as some have compared the two.  Give me the Master any day over Boris.

Jeffrey Catherine Jones is another obvious one for me.  Frazetta even said something like Jones was the greatest painter he knew.  High praise.  That group of Studio artists were all great - Jones, Barry Smith, Wrightson, and Kaluta.

I wish I could think of a painter I saw and actually tried to get my daughter to apply for his art classes.  He took a few select students and he was/is great but his paintings were incredible and very Frazettish.  

11 hours ago, Bird said:

I agree. There are some very Frazetta-like pieces in his past. What's he doing these days, anyone know?

The last thing I saw from him was the cover of Conan the Slayer #11, cover dated July 2017.  I think he and Roy Thomas wanted to do a Conan project together for Dark Horse, but this was never published.  It would be nice if it could be resurrected at Marvel.

I think Mark Schultz and Dave Stevens obviously show Frazetta's influence.  And they are great in their own right.  But I think their styles seem so deliberate and self-conscious (maybe the wrong words) that they lack Frazetta's instinct. 

On 12/26/2018 at 7:15 PM, boomtown said:

I always thought Mark Schultz was very Frazetta influenced, but doesn't look like a knock off. The Kelley Jones comparison to Wrightson was a good one also. I believe Wrightson actually contacted Jones about finishing up his Frankenstein series for IDW when he could no longer do it.

Kelley Jones finished Frankenstein, Alive, Alive! for Bernie and Liz. Bernie had done a fair amount and Kelley built on that. It was an excellent job.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:54 AM, Will_K said:

I think Mark Schultz and Dave Stevens obviously show Frazetta's influence.  And they are great in their own right. 

Add John Bolton when he drew Kull for a Marvel mag and Marada(sp?), the She-wolf for Epic mag.

Re: Tom Grindberg: he must have just graduated Continuity Studios with his homage to Neal Adams and angular layouts for Detective Comics annual 1991:

l0rxr4s.jpg

On 12/25/2018 at 8:41 PM, RB3 said:

Is there any artist today that mimic the style or tightness of Wrightson or Frazetta style?  Is there any other artist you can think of that has similar style?  Looking for both todays artist and older artist.

Elon Musk just liked this artist on his twitter feed.   I was so  impressed, I went through his portfolio and it's amazing.  

https://www.deviantart.com/wlop

Edited by Wolverinex