• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrightson/Frazetta Artist

35 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

Beautiful pieces, I agree. They strike me as more Pixar-influenced than Frazetta-influenced, however.

Yes,  definitely more cgi and Japanese influenced. I was just immediately stuck by the dynamic poses,  lighting, details of his subjects and his raw talent reminded me of Frazetta. Made me just stare at his art and take it in for a few minutes.   Watching him draw is magic.

Not much about him except that art is his sidejob. He is software engineer and just started drawing on a tablet as a hobby.  Self taught and started in 2014....  Now he is one of the most followed on Deviant Art website.   I know Elon Musk had him draw some NFTS for his girlfriend Grimes.

Edited by Wolverinex

On 12/27/2018 at 12:44 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

The last thing I saw from him was the cover of Conan the Slayer #11, cover dated July 2017.  I think he and Roy Thomas wanted to do a Conan project together for Dark Horse, but this was never published.  It would be nice if it could be resurrected at Marvel.

Chaykin Stevens, ha, ha, love it!  Are you posting from behind the green door?   :grin:

On 3/4/2021 at 7:21 AM, The Voord said:

Chaykin Stevens, ha, ha, love it!  Are you posting from behind the green door?   :grin:

what's Marilyn Chambers got to do with this?

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I think you remember the plot better than I do lol kudos..

There was a UK singer called Shaking Stevens (Chaykin Stevens, geddit?), who had a top ten hit called, "Behind the Green Door".  He was a kind of rubbishy Elvis Presley wannabe.  Maybe we're on different wavelengths on this one, as I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about at first until I googled 'Green Door' and someone who starred in that dodgy movie called Marilyn Chambers.  (shrug)

You do believe me . . . dontcha???  :p

15 hours ago, The Voord said:

There was a UK singer called Shaking Stevens (Chaykin Stevens, geddit?), who had a top ten hit called, "Behind the Green Door".  He was a kind of rubbishy Elvis Presley wannabe.  Maybe we're on different wavelengths on this one, as I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about at first until I googled 'Green Door' and someone who starred in that dodgy movie called Marilyn Chambers.  (shrug)

You do believe me . . . dontcha???  :p

Sure, sure.... !

I am one of the (many) folks who view Frazetta's and Wrightson's works as holy, sacrosanct.  Indeed, Wrightson's own regard for Frazetta -- see the Painting with Fire docu for some sweet quotes -- is heartwarming.

Both had technical skills up the wazoo, but a new hot thang artist wouldn't be able to match either via sheer technical merits alone.  The toughest department would be imbuing S o u l... that elusive x-factor.  Frazetta's sense of soul, of vitality, is off the charts in even his barest sketches. And even Bernie's most undead of undead characters had an infinite pathos.

I can ramble on, but you get my drift.

Edited by exitmusicblue